Rev G Dual Rectifier + Legendary Tones Mod = Stupidly Good

Bad.Seed

Hey guys, figured I'd drop this here, not to spam you, but to spread the word.

I'm sure everyone's first reaction is, "does the Rectifier need more gain?" and my answer is YES - but not for more saturation.

Adding the Legendary Tone Hot Mod EVO/Mr Scary Mod just allows you to get the saturation you want without pushing the gain on the amp so high as to introduce the mud and compression so commonly associated with high gain rectifier tones.

Before anyone chimes in, NO, the same effect can not be achieved by using an overdrive or EQ, as they work in completely different ways than the Mod (adding a real tube gain stage to the preamp) but they can work in conjunction to create a very tight and articulate high gain sound.

Not sure if this works on 3 channel models, or multiwatt models. I will be testing this for David once the tube sockets arrive this week!

Watching you have to talk super loud in that video to be heard over the preamp noise/hiss cracked me up!
I had noticed the noise/hiss had increased once he installed the device and then he started to talk extremely loud to be heard over all the extra noise/hiss :)

Pretty cool video and device so if I ever purchase one then I think I would experiment with different gain settings on the amp, device, and boost/drive pedal until I could find the lowest amount of noise/hiss.

I've had a couple small logo Rev Gs, serials in the 3K-4K range, and they were notably better to my ears than the later Gs. I believe that one could be a good one, glad you got it back. :)

It does work in it. I had one and tried it in it. I'm not sure if it was my tubes in that amp or the design of it but I do not think it sounded as good in the three channel multiwatt as the older two channel.
I emailed David from legendarytones.com and he told me that they don't work in any 3 channel DRs. they do work with the 2 channel ones, though.

Weird, I dropped it in on mine. The only thing that doesn't work is that you have to have a socket extension to make it fit vs the older two channel. It worked and functioned exactly as it should have but it didn't sound as good.

I emailed David from legendarytones.com and he told me that they don't work in any 3 channel DRs. they do work with the 2 channel ones, though.
So I just checked the legendary website and they have this up now.

Attachments

• IMG_2838.jpeg
    IMG_2838.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
Good question, I've never played a badlander but I've seen several comments saying they needed more lows and some more gain. Not sure if that's accurate or not but if it is, it would be a win/win for sure. When I tried it in my old dual rectifier it was absolutely amazing, but again not so much with the multiwatt. I am also curious if this was because I had the evo and not the Mr scary hot mod.

Good question, I've never played a badlander but I've seen several comments saying they needed more lows and some more gain. Not sure if that's accurate or not but if it is, it would be a win/win for sure. When I tried it in my old dual rectifier it was absolutely amazing, but again not so much with the multiwatt. I am also curious if this was because I had the evo and not the Mr scary hot mod.
Tone wars, mr scary in Badlander if you haven't seen it already.

the legendary tones website says the evo is not compatibile with mesas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240309_132107_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_132107_Chrome.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 8

I'm sure everyone's first reaction is, "does the Rectifier need more gain?" and my answer is YES - but not for more saturation.

Adding the Legendary Tone Hot Mod EVO/Mr Scary Mod just allows you to get the saturation you want without pushing the gain on the amp so high as to introduce the mud and compression so commonly associated with high gain rectifier tones.

Before anyone chimes in, NO, the same effect can not be achieved by using an overdrive or EQ, as they work in completely different ways than the Mod (adding a real tube gain stage to the preamp) but they can work in conjunction to create a very tight and articulate high gain sound.

Not sure if this works on 3 channel models, or multiwatt models. I will be testing this for David once the tube sockets arrive this week!

Hi, as of today, the 3 channel mesas, including the multi watts are considered compatible with the mr scary mod. please do a youtube video for the 3ch multi watt DR with the mod in it. thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240309_132107_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_132107_Chrome.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 5

Interesting. Will check out Kyle. Just got my first Dual so we'll see. Thanks for sharing.

Back