Reverb Canada- I'm done with them. Taxing Used now

Kapo_Polenton

Not sure if you guys in the states are getting hit with this but I had no idea that as of July 1, Reverb now charges Canadian taxes when you buy Used or New from anyone in Canada. So Some dude sells his item just like he would locally but now it is taxed. Dirty tax man coming for us even more than ever now. There is nothing they won't go after to feed their coffers and we already pay ridiculous taxes. As you guys might have seen, I was after a White Edwards and found one in Canada. Got a a good/fair deal on it and am paying the shipping. That's fine. It is a used guitar, 2006. Well at checkout they add sales tax on it and I am thinking WTF for? The guy isn't a business, he is a private seller. Someone already paid the tax somewhere since 2006 when it was imported, why do they get to charge it every time on private sales? Last I checked if I sell a car privately, I don't charge them sales tax. Reverb should have grown a pair and fought the man. They are going to lose a lot of business. I for one am done with them. Zero benefit to me anymore. Glad I scored some of the deals I did get in the past. I wonder who I can take this up with to get an explanation as to how and why they are allowed to do this. I see their explanation but it makes zero sense. But really, what is one man gonna do out there. I still want to bug them though.

I think over here in the states it goes by what your " state sales tax " is ...... not sure ... it could be a straight % for all the states ...but we definitely get hit

So really the whole reason they created reverb has now gone to shit. Seller gets hit with their fees, buyer gets hit with taxes. Sites like this are better or local though i bet canada customs would still charge tax on a guitar sent as gift from a fellow rig talker. They'd see the declared value and tax it. It's robbery.

I’m from Ontario as well. I was ready to buy a used Bogner Rev Blue and I saw the sales tax thing and passed. I’m done with buying from reverb. Sucks though because it was the best spot in Canada to buy hard to find items. The rest of our music stores is mostly generic brands.

I keep wondering...who are these people still using Reverb? Been wondering that for a while now. They are crooks. Not only "no" but "hell fucking no".

I’m from Ontario as well. I was ready to buy a used Bogner Rev Blue and I saw the sales tax thing and passed. I’m done with buying from reverb. Sucks though because it was the best spot in Canada to buy hard to find items. The rest of our music stores is mostly generic brands.

Exactly, it allowed us to get our hands on good gear and save a few bucks. In turn we put more gear out there and the community benefits.

Yup, here in the Seattle area sales tax is 10% ish. The thought of paying sales tax on used items from just a person sucks. I limit my Reverb used item purchases to about $100.

It sucks. I became a musician so that I can launder money. What's next? They're gonna tax the cash money from my gigs? Outrageous!
I'm guessing that's sarcasm but think of it this way.., the few gigs you do play and make 100$ for, should you really be taxed on it? If you are selling out stadiums sure, but for someone who is not selling past X amount and therefore not a business, why should they be paying tax on a private sale? The only reason is cash grab by the gov. That already charges us off the charts. It might bring reverb prices down but then that hurts the seller. I can't see how this doesn't hurt reverb to be honest. I feel like this is my last big ticket item. Get dinged on customs with made up fees and now can't even benefit from buying from fellow Canucks. Shame but thems the breaks.

yup ... when you buy .... you pay sales tax ... when you sell you give up like 8.5 % of the total ....

so basically if you want 2000 for an item you have to sell it for 2200 .... then the guy buying has to usually pay 75-100 for shipping plus tax ...

so if you buy off Reverb .... you're actually getting " bent over " twice .... that amp the guy actually only wants to get 2000 for .....cost you 2500

yup ... when you buy .... you pay sales tax ... when you sell you give up like 8.5 % of the total ....

so basically if you want 2000 for an item you have to sell it for 2200 .... then the guy buying has to usually pay 75-100 for shipping plus tax ...

so if you buy off Reverb .... you're actually getting " bent over " twice .... that amp the guy actually only wants to get 2000 for .....cost you 2500

Pretty crazy isn't it. I guess I have been living under a rock and I wasn't paying attention. I was busy countering his offer a few times and didn't realize the policy had changed a month ago. In the end I didn't even get the price dropped enough to cover the 13% and paid shipping. Essentially ended up at Ebay value. Hope the guitar plays well at least. Reverb can suck my b@lls moving forward. I guess it's just strings from Amazon and pedals from kijiji/Craigslist type listings.

Wait til they tax you on what you SELL up there like they do in the USA now - if u dont have receipts / proof of ur original purchase u get taxed on the sale of goods at your income tax rate which is for most between TWENTY AND TWENTY FIVE percent.

So. Boo hoo and what not. We have been bitching about sales tax on used for almost a decade now

Don't know why people blame Reverb, or bitch about Reverb doing this - it's the fucking governments. They're mandating the collection of sales tax, and Biden is the piece of shit that thought it would be a good idea to send private sellers a 1099 for sales over.........$600 annually? He's a fucking joke. It used to be over 20k, now it's.........$600 fucking dollars... To this day, I still don't understand his logic, other than fucking what equates to basically middle class.. The same class he professes to be the most important people in America. Fucking Dickhead.

Don't know why people blame Reverb, or bitch about Reverb doing this - it's the fucking governments. They're mandating the collection of sales tax, and Biden is the piece of shit that thought it would be a good idea to send private sellers a 1099 for sales over.........$600 annually? He's a fucking joke. It used to be over 20k, now it's.........$600 fucking dollars... To this day, I still don't understand his logic, other than fucking what equates to basically middle class.. The same class he professes to be the most important people in America. Fucking Dickhead.

I guess Canada is late to the party then.. crazy to think we all have to put up with this. I get that i am totally bitching and this is a 1st world problem but I tell ya, it's a good way to kill our passion as musicians. So do any of you guys who sell on this site get dinged after the fact by uncle Sam? Do they have their claws into PayPal too then?

FYI if you sell a car privately you personally do not collect any sales tax. The DMV of the state where the new owner registers the vehicle will collect that tax. This has been the case for as long as I can remember. Not saying I agree with the policy but the concept of paying tax on used assets is nothing new.

I stopped reverb when they started that crap.. shame too, as I found (and sold) some good stuff.
Same with this $600 BS on Payapl, venmo, etc.. wtaf. I can't get a write-off for what I lose on the sale, so why should they be able to tax us?
Stuck with FB marketplace & craigslist, which are virtual ghost towns now. And gear swap meets
I miss the old bargain news/trader days (old man yelling at clouds)

Back