ReVolt Power Requirements

DTMguitar

I’m looking forward to next week when the ReVolt ships. I’d like to put mine on my pedalboard and power it with my Strymon Zuma. The Zuma provides 500mA to each output, and 12v is available on two of them. The videos from NAMM, Sweetwater, and photos of the ReVolt show that 12v 500mA is required to power it, but the Two Notes site is showing a current draw of 600mA. Has something changed in the design that ReVolt requires more current than originally anticipated? Will I need to order a current doubling cable to achieve what I want to do, or will 500mA work? What can you tell me?

Attachments

• 6ECC4053-F117-4B5A-8890-C44A2724BB7D.jpeg
    6ECC4053-F117-4B5A-8890-C44A2724BB7D.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 4E8A833F-578C-428C-9763-350BD65C1FD4.png
    4E8A833F-578C-428C-9763-350BD65C1FD4.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
Hi @DTMguitar, Thanks for getting in touch.

It looks like you are referring to one of our launch images; since that point the specification has changed and all units will ship with 600mA noted on the reverse of the unit.

ReVolt draws slightly more than 500mA. It should work on a 500mA tap, as they usually have a little margin. However, the following points must be closely monitored:
  • The power supply does not overheat or indicate an over-current fault
  • There are no strange artefacts happening (revolt rebooting, sound glitches etc.) as it could indicate the power supply is not able to power the Revolt
Please let me know if there is any more information you require and I will gladly provide it!

Kind regards,

Ross

Hi @Dane Collins ,

Thanks for reaching out. At this juncture we are at the mercy of international shipping logistics and next week looks unlikely. However, we will be making a formal announcement as soon as this is cemented so please keep you eyes on our site and socials for updates!

Kind regards,

Ross

However, the following points must be closely monitored:
  • The power supply does not overheat or indicate an over-current fault
  • There are no strange artefacts happening (revolt rebooting, sound glitches etc.) as it could indicate the power supply is not able to power the Revolt
In that case, I think I’ll go ahead and get a current doubling cable.

At this juncture we are at the mercy of international shipping logistics and next week looks unlikely.
Sorry to hear that Dec 5th might not be the shipping date after all… but I know it’s out of your hands and I’m sure it will be worth the wait when it finally arrives.

Thank you for the info… and for the recent Black Friday sale. I picked up a ton of fantastic DynIRs that are keeping me occupied and smiling in the meantime!

Hi @DTMguitar,

Thanks for getting back to me. No worries and understood. Thanks for your understanding and please keep your eyes on our site and socials for updates.

As ever, if there is anything else we can help you with, please dont hesitate to reach out!

Kind regards,

Ross

I just discovered that although Strymon Zuma offers output selection of 9v, 12v, or 18v, the mA that are available also change with each selection.
9v provides 500mA
12v provides 375mA
18v provides 250mA
In other words, even if the ReVolt did operate at 12v 500mA, a current doubling cable would still be required to power it with a Zuma because the output from a single tap on the Zuma would only provide 12v 375mA… Using a current doubler will give 12v 750mA, which will be plenty for the ReVolt.
Please excuse my lack of this knowledge when I asked my original question. I’m still learning, and glad that looking into powering ReVolt has taught me more about my other gear, too. Thank you for your kind replies.

Hi @DTMguitar

Thanks for getting back to us and we're glad to hear you have sorted this out. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Kind regards,

Ross

Back