Revv G8

GuitarGuy08

UPDATE: I fixed a bunch of grounding issues at the house and then found a point that needed some solder, this fixed any and all issues with the amp. The pedal performs very well now and I absolutely love it! TURNS OUT that this amp has the sound routed differently than I would expect or something. The amp is so extremely dead quiet, even with the highest amount of effects and distortion on with the pedal in the FRONT. How does that make sense? Not sure. I have it setup currently with the 4 cable method but not the 'preferred' due to it still causing a loud hum. The way I have it set up now is exactly the way you would want it to be. Again, not sure how this amp routes signals but jeez does it sound absolutely perfect now. I'd suggest a Revv if you are looking for a gate, just be aware of what a gate does and don't be afraid to play with setups to find what works for you. I have the release knob far higher than expected and the thresh all the way down a and my strat sounds thick, chunky and has no hiss with crazy amounts of distortion. Be aware that certain pedals need to go before the Revv in the signal. The pedal does change the guitar tone in a way that made my fuzz not work as well (the G8 edits out some high frequencies). I placed my wah and fuzz before the G8 and all is perfect now!

Old Edit: This led me to discovering all sorts of issues that were causing noise that were NOT the pedal. Found loose ground in electrical, replaced ground for house altogether, had a couple of pedals that were freaked when using 9v and iso supply, had a guitar cable go bad and then there were also some parts in that amp that were refreshed. Overall experience with the G8? Pretty solid pedal. I don't have the noise issues I originally bought it for. I can see using it in a limited fashion, as it can still be 'choppy'. Maybe for rhythm stuff or certain styles of lead, this is great but I hate fearing my notes are going to be clipped off as I'm riding feedback or something and this pedal still definitely will do that. It has its uses but is NOT an always on kind of pedal, for sure

OP:

Just ordered a Revv G8. I've been using a Boss NS-2 for years. It's OK, does it's job but I definitely don't/can't use it in 4 cable method as I found the change if the tone too much. Even if I did, doesn't have a fast gate, even with extreme settings. I did a lot of research and settled on the Revv G8. No, I did not realize how it expensive it was lol I did a lot of research before and then landed on that one. Bought one from a seller off of Reverb in mint condition. Makes you wonder why they are selling but I see they've sold tons of pedals before near mint so IDK... Fingers crossed this thing is as good as I want it to be at killing sound while sounding natural. Definitely going the 4 cable method with it. Will report back when I have given it some use!

Last edited:
I have one and although I haven't quite nailed down the 4-cable method, I will say it is the only pedal I've used that was able to tame my 5150-III. I had a Sentry, Decimator G-String, and one other if I remember correctly and just didn't do the job.

I'm able to run the Keeley D&M pedal into my Friedman or 5150-III, which both have a good amount of gain, and is completely silent until the gate opens and I start riffs. Depending on the gain I want, etc, I can put the knob at halfway or even lower and the gate comes on. There is a knob to make the gate more gradual, etc. It is a great pedal.

Just keep I'm mind that it is a gate, not a noise suppressor so more of a shutoff than an overall tool to get less noise if that makes sense.

This will sound crazy but the NS2 with a batter broke in and hour or two does something amazing for me . Sounds crazy but I’ve tested it . Plugged in at full use it cuts the highs in a bad way . Then a fresh battery does the same . I’ve been doing this for years it gates perfectly while keeping my tone how I want . Idk I just thought I’d share this since you have a NS2

I have one and although I haven't quite nailed down the 4-cable method, I will say it is the only pedal I've used that was able to tame my 5150-III. I had a Sentry, Decimator G-String, and one other if I remember correctly and just didn't do the job.

I'm able to run the Keeley D&M pedal into my Friedman or 5150-III, which both have a good amount of gain, and is completely silent until the gate opens and I start riffs. Depending on the gain I want, etc, I can put the knob at halfway or even lower and the gate comes on. There is a knob to make the gate more gradual, etc. It is a great pedal.

Just keep I'm mind that it is a gate, not a noise suppressor so more of a shutoff than an overall tool to get less noise if that makes sense.
Hey brother! I was running this in 2 cable method in the FX loop and it basically doesn't work. Like the knobs are in extreme settings and it doesn't seem to gate it properly. 4 cable seems to basically do it but I still have a tail unless the settings are extreme and it cuts off my pick attack. I'm thinking there might be something wrong with this one??

If you want a nice project get the muzzle from pedalpcb. It‘s a clone from the fortin zuul gate which has the key input.

Misikding from germany sells the whole kit with all the components already included, so it‘s basically a solder job. I think they even have predrilled enclosures.

My Revv G8 in 4CM tames both my Diezel VH4 and my Engl Invader 2 without sucking tone. It's excellent.
Make sure you follow their 4CM signal flow chart. It's a bit different, but works.

Hey brother! I was running this in 2 cable method in the FX loop and it basically doesn't work. Like the knobs are in extreme settings and it doesn't seem to gate it properly. 4 cable seems to basically do it but I still have a tail unless the settings are extreme and it cuts off my pick attack. I'm thinking there might be something wrong with this one??
Oh yeah, like FLUXX said below, there is a strange way you have to plug things in. I think every amp is different.

My Revv G8 in 4CM tames both my Diezel VH4 and my Engl Invader 2 without sucking tone. It's excellent.
Make sure you follow their 4CM signal flow chart. It's a bit different, but works.
I definitely followed it but it wasn't clipping the tail bit off unless thresh was high enough to cut off my pick attack. May be due to ground loop hum while in 4cm. Hum exterminator is on the way. Will test further

I'm curious if it would work as poorly as mine if you ran it through just the FX loop in 2 cable method. The ground hum may be throwing off the sensitivity of the 4cm but right now it basically will not gate the tail. Basically what the NS 2 already does for me. If I crank up the threshold, it gets choppy but cuts off notes and pick attack. Idk.... May end up selling it or returning if this isn't working right. Def sucks in 2cm. Feedback comes through and all

I'm curious if it would work as poorly as mine if you ran it through just the FX loop in 2 cable method. The ground hum may be throwing off the sensitivity of the 4cm but right now it basically will not gate the tail. Basically what the NS 2 already does for me. If I crank up the threshold, it gets choppy but cuts off notes and pick attack. Idk.... May end up selling it or returning if this isn't working right. Def sucks in 2cm. Feedback comes through and all
I did not get great results in 2CM with the G8, but I definitely like the way it works in 4CM.
I found the Release Knob was the key for me. Once you set the Threshold knob (all the way open, with the Release all the way to the left, start turning the Release knob until you find your amp's sweet spot with the G8. I have different settings for my different amps.

If the G8 doesn't work for you, maybe try a Fortin Zuul

I did not get great results in 2CM with the G8, but I definitely like the way it works in 4CM.
I found the Release Knob was the key for me. Once you set the Threshold knob (all the way open, with the Release all the way to the left, start turning the Release knob until you find your amp's sweet spot with the G8. I have different settings for my different amps.

Yep, 4CM for me works great as well. I have the output at minimum and then adjust as needed.

I just got my hum exterminator or whatever and it did not solve the ground loop hum when using the 4 cm. Not certain what is up. If I disconnect any of the cables going to the amp, the ground hum disappears. Same thing happens with the NS-2. Will try to test in a sterile environment though this power is pretty damn clean

Plug the NS-2 back in and see what happens and then do process of elimination. By the way, what amp is this with?
I'm using a Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Top. (mouth full). Never had had an issue with the amp. Generally, it sounds marvelous and has a fairly low noise floor, I just want to get some of those really gated tones and general silence would be nice. The NS hasn't been doing a terrible job in the effects loop but can't deliver a hard gated tone. I have some ground issues here but nothing crazy. That being said, I'll be testing the NS2 with a 9 volt. In theory, the pedal alone using 4 cable on a 9 volt should cut out any possibility of a ground loop hum, no? If it happens when connected this way, I'll swap all of the tubes again and test. Still, new place. Still- amp shop. My ground at home was previously faulty (loose to the rod) so maybe it caused something to go early in the amp but doubtful since the noise is low when not using 4cm

This may be odd but I'm not certain this is a ground loop issue after hearing what that normally sounds like. The noice increases when I increase the gain or master volume of the channels. Hm.... May just take it to a shop to get checked out

There
This may be odd but I'm not certain this is a ground loop issue after hearing what that normally sounds like. The noice increases when I increase the gain or master volume of the channels. Hm.... May just take it to a shop to get checked out
These kinds of things can be maddening but you'll get it figured out.

Back