RigTalk Library - Rock and Metal Books (Suggestions Needed)

ghosty999

Hey! Thought I'd start a list of books that I've read that other Rigtalkers might enjoy. Please feel free to comment more suggestions and I'll add to the list :rock:

As Above So Below - Yngwie Unoffocial Biography - Audio, Book and eBook
Back To The Front - A Fully Authorised Visual History of The Master Of Puppets Album and Tour
Building an Empire - The Story of Queensryche - Book and eBook
Choosing Death - The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore - Book
Don't Call it Hair Metal - Story of rhe rise and fall of hair metal - Audio, Book and eBook
Dokken Into The Fire - The story of Dokken, kinda bias to one side of the band. - Book and eBook
Extreme Metal - Socioloical look into the subgren. - Book and eBook
Eruption - The Eddie Van Halen story - Audio, Book and eBook
For The Sake of Heaviness - The History of Metal Blade Records - Book and eBook.
Hammer of the Gods - An insiders look at Led Zeppelin. Book and eBook
How Music Got Free - The early invention of the MP3 and music sharing - Audio, Book and eBook
Iconic Guitar Gear - Greg Parto dives into famous gear - Audio, Book and eBook
I Am Ozzy - Ozzy's autobiography, pretty damn funny. - Book and eBook
Iron Maiden 80,81 - A deep dive into the Dianno era Maiden - Audio, Book and eBook
Iron Maiden Runnin' Free - A look into the first 10 years of Iron Maiden. - Book and eBook
Iron Maiden in the Studio - Jake Brown looks at the Maiden albums and recording. - Book and eBook
Kiss Behind The Mask - An official biography the band put out. - Book and eBook
Kiss FAQ - A fan created book answering all the unanswered questions. - Book and eBook
Kiss Face the Music - Pauls view of events - Audio, Book and eBook
Kiss and Make Up - Gene's view of events - Audio, Book and eBook
Kiss and Tell - A book about Kiss written by a friend of Ace's. Wild stories ensue. - Book
Kiss Crazy Knights - A deep dive into the crazy knights album era - Book and eBook
Kiss Take it Off - An insight into the non-make up Kiss era - eBook and Book
Lords of Chaos - An insight into the origins and rise of black metal - Audio, Book and eBook
Messengers - The Guitars of James Hetfield - Book
Metallica History Trilogy - 3 x books into each era of Metallica by Paul Brannigan - Audio, Book and eBook
Metallica: Enter Night - A biography about Metallica. - Book and eBook
Metallica The Complete Illustrated History - Martin Popoff again looking at Metallia. - Book and eBook
Mustaine - Dave Mustain's autobiography that is impossible to not hear in his voice. - Audio, Book and eBook
My Effin' Life - Geddy Lee's auto-Biography covering his entire life. - Audio, Book and eBook
Off The Rails - Rudy Sarz's Auto Biography. - Book and eBook
Pearl Jam : Twenty - An in-depth look into Pearl Jam. - Book and eBook
Paul Stanley's Back Stage Pass
- A book on life and advice. - Audio, Book and eBook
Relentless - Yngwie's autobiography, a complete contrast to the unofficial biography. - Audio, book and eBook
Rainbow in the Dark - Dio's autobiography. - Book and eBook
Rush History Triloy - Another Greg Prato deep dive into the 3 eras of Rush - Audio, Book, eBook
Rust in Peace - The story of Megadeth recoring the Rust in Peace album. - Audio, Book and eBook
Sail Away : Whitesnake's Fantastic Voyage - A book about whitesnake. Book and eBook
Slash - Not surprisingly, this is an Autobiography about Slash. - Audio, Book and eBook
Strange Beautiful Music - Joe Satriani's auto-biography and discussion book. - Book and eBook
To Live Is to Die - The Life and Death of Metallica's Cliff Burton. - Book and eBook
The History of Abbey Road - A deep dive into the technoloy and people who played at Abbey Road. - Audio, Book and eBook
The Dirt - Motley Crue discuss their antics and addiction. - Book and eBook
Van Halen Rising - A more mature look at the rise of Van Halen and beyond - Audio, Book and eBook
What Does This Button Do? - Bruce Dickinson official autobiography. - Audio, Book and eBook
White Line Fever: The Autobiography - Lemmy autobiography. - Book and eBook

Jimmy Page - The Anthology
Slayer 66 2/3: The Jeff & Dave Years - DX Ferris
Reign in Blood 33 1/3 - DX Ferris
Kiss: Alive and Forever. The definitive Kiss touring book.
Bob Daisley's - For Facts Sake.
Phil Lynott - The Rocker.

Last edited:
Messengers - The Guitars of James Hetfield
Back To The Front - A Fully Authorised Visual History of The Master Of Puppets Album and Tour - Matt Taylor
Pearl Jam - Twenty
Strange Beautiful Music - Joe Satriani
Van Halen Rising - Greg Renoff

Messengers - The Guitars of James Hetfield
Back To The Front - A Fully Authorised Visual History of The Master Of Puppets Album and Tour - Matt Taylor
Pearl Jam - Twenty
Strange Beautiful Music - Joe Satriani
Van Halen Rising - Greg Renoff
Great recommendations

Just a few off the top of my head:

Off The Rails - Rudy Sarzo
Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore - Albert Mudrian
To Live Is to Die: The Life and Death of Metallica's Cliff Burton - Joel McIver

Just a few off the top of my head:

Off The Rails - Rudy Sarzo
Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore - Albert Mudrian
To Live Is to Die: The Life and Death of Metallica's Cliff Burton - Joel McIver
Thankyou. Haven't heard of a few of these.

Van Halen rising by Greg Renhoff is great all around, focusing on the band members from a young age through the first album if I remember. All around feel good story.

Runnin with the devil by Noel Monk is also great and focuses on the band from 1980ish to the 1984 tour. A bit dark.

Weird scenes inside the canyon by David McGowan. Illustrates a lot about questionable connections between musicians/music industry and their connection to the government in the 60/70’s

Van Halen rising by Greg Renhoff is great all around, focusing on the band members from a young age through the first album if I remember. All around feel good story.

Runnin with the devil by Noel Monk is also great and focuses on the band from 1980ish to the 1984 tour. A bit dark.

Weird scenes inside the canyon by David McGowan. Illustrates a lot about questionable connections between musicians/music industry and their connection to the government in the 60/70’s
I struggled to get through Runnin with the Devil, only read the first chapter or so. As you said... a bit dark.

Weird Scenes Inside The Canyon sounds wild!

Wow, I thought I had a lot of books :LOL:

Yeah, Van Halen Rising is a great read. So is Heroin Diaries. And the Complete Guide to Heavy Metal was very interesting. I have not read all of these, was just on a collection kick for awhile though. Something to do when I retire. Cool that you made this thread, I was thinking of doing something similar.

HJPdAH7.jpg

PS
Wow, I thought I had a lot of books :LOL:

Yeah, Van Halen Rising is a great read. So is Heroin Diaries. And the Complete Guide to Heavy Metal was very interesting. I have not read all of these, was just on a collection kick for awhile though. Something to do when I retire. Cool that you made this thread, I was thinking of doing something similar.

HJPdAH7.jpg
PS That Tube Amp book is like £/$500+ on Amazon! haha

Few that haven't been mentioned.

Kiss: Alive and Forever. The definitive Kiss touring book. Each years touring breakdown, dates, venue's, opening acts, ticket sales, summary of the show. From beginning to the end of the Farewell Tour in 2002. One of my favorite books and frankly can't believe the author went to the exhaustive links to gather all the data.

Few that haven't been mentioned.

Kiss: Alive and Forever. The definitive Kiss touring book. Each years touring breakdown, dates, venue's, opening acts, ticket sales, summary of the show. From beginning to the end of the Farewell Tour in 2002. One of my favorite books and frankly can't believe the author went to the exhaustive links to gather all the data.

I've been wanting to read that Daisley book for a while now and heard it is great.

Aerosmith
Pretty sure it is called "Walk This Way" and is set up/written like the Dirt.
Members telling their story to the timeline.
Really great book.

They rented some mansion to record in.
Joe Perry took the attic and was shooting guns up there.

Finally grabbed a copy of this Jem:

Steve Vai - Guitar Extravaganza

Saw Michael Neilson do an episode on it and pulled the trigger.

Back