Risk w/ Splawn, buyers remorse, and resale

PaintChipsAreVegan

Banned
Hello all,

Ive been quite close to pulling the trigger on a Nitro 100

However, since they're custom built to spec, Splawn doesn't have a satisfaction guarantee grace period for refunds

I've played a nitro before and I liked it, but that was diferrent room, different cabs/speakers, different guitar..etc. So I take it with a grain of salt in my consideration

My question: In the off chance i get it, and per my current setup, absolutely dread the thing, whats the resale market for splawns like specifically? Is demand resonably high?... enough to assume that, in case of resale, i can find a buyer, and at least recoup some funds?

Input is appreciated

Just judging by what is on reverb at the moment there are a ton of them for around $1700, I’m gonna say the demand isn’t that high, maybe just buy used first to try?
hmm.. it appears there's a pretty hefty gap between used list price and new, as well...

May go that route anyway. Idc much about my own customization. Seems like lower risk, though. If I decide to keep it, I save several hundred, if I decide to sell it, I'll take less of a massive hit than the first buyer

Grab one of off GC ....... worse case scenerio you're out 35 bucks for shipping if you don't like it ....

I have a Super Comp that I haven't touched in 6 months ..... I had it up for sale in the Classifieds at one point

they've got one right now too for 1500

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Splawn/Nitro-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head.gc
This....it's a no brainer. If you dig it, keep or return to order a new one...although, that's risky imo since I've found that all amps can vary, even those that are identical builds.

This....it's a no brainer. If you dig it, keep or return to order a new one...although, that's risky imo since I've found that all amps can vary, even those that are identical builds.
Huh this isnt a bad idea at all though, i mean....it's risk-less

and I have a GC not even 10 mins drive from me. Wouldn't even have to fuss with shipping, could just take it back while running errands

oh fuq my wallet

haha that's genius. shit im about to pull the trigger on it. if nothing else i can at least put to rest "do i want a nitro or not," and if not, well at least i got to play one for a few days for free
you can play that sucker for 45 days ...... and remember if you return it if you don't like it ... you lose the 36 bucks for the shipping ....

I always looked at it as renting the amp for 45 days for 36 bucks .....with the option to buy

you can play that sucker for 45 days ...... and remember if you return it if you don't like it ... you lose the 36 bucks for the shipping ....

I always looked at it as renting the amp for 45 days for 36 bucks .....with the option to buy
$36 bucks is a minuscule hedge against a $2k disappointment imo

Normally with this kind of thing, I’d hate lugging the thing around to shipping couriers, dealing with RAs, etc. no fussing with FedEx or ups

But with this, I can pick it up locally from 10 min away, and drop it off the same when I’m done

Brilliant 🤝

Hello all,

However, since they're custom built to spec, Splawn doesn't have a satisfaction guarantee grace period for refunds

I've played a nitro before and I liked it, but that was diferrent room, different cabs/speakers, different guitar..etc. So I take it with a grain of salt in my consideration

My question: In the off chance i get it, and per my current setup, absolutely dread the thing, whats the resale market for splawns like specifically? Is demand resonably high?... enough to assume that, in case of resale, i can find a buyer, and at least recoup some funds?

Input is appreciated
There's alot of good advice here . Why would you ever consider new if that's what you are worried about???

$36 bucks is a minuscule hedge against a $2k disappointment imo

Normally with this kind of thing, I’d hate lugging the thing around to shipping couriers, dealing with RAs, etc. no fussing with FedEx or ups

But with this, I can pick it up locally from 10 min away, and drop it off the same when I’m done

Brilliant 🤝

i never even really thought this over but it is a great idea

For what they are, I think they're a pretty decent value buying new. But that only makes sense if you're fairly sure you'll be. having it long term. Also if you want to take less of a hit, should you decide to resell it in the near future, you kinda have to choose the easiest cosmetic options to make that happen. For me, the kind of defeats the purpose of having the customization options.

It seems like it would make more sense to hunt down a used one.

Here is the listing for the Nitro that I ordered brand new from Scott just a few years back. I had owned a 100 watt Nitro that I bought used and really liked - but had this itch to scale down to 50 watt amps. I sold my hundy and ordered this one ‘fully loaded’ with the Old/New Voicing option and the Mid Cut/Boost switch. This amp is an absolute monster and just sounded incredible. Contrary to the OG Nitro flavor which was ‘New’ voicing with the mids ‘cut’ - I actually preferred this amp in ‘Old’ voicing with the mids ‘boosted.’ With the gain at noon, you could comfortably play lead all day long - but adding just a touch of boost from a TS9 or my personal favorite Spark Mini, this amp was flat dangerous.

The only reason I sold this amp was because I had a Fully Loaded 50 Watt QR in the stable - which I still own today. My QR in 3rd Gear, New Voicing, Mids Cut got so deep into Nitro Territory, that I thought it was just redundant to own both amps. So I kept the QR - which is more of a ‘Swiss Army Knife’ with 3 gears and OD 1&2 in each Gear - and sold this one to the person who is listing it right now. I paid $2,050.00 brand new and sold it for $1,750.00. This guy has it listed for $1,800.00. I cannot imagine him turning down an offer for $1,700.00 - as long as its been listed now at $1,800.00.

Maybe an option for an amp with known provenance?

https://reverb.com/item/76469421-splawn-nitro-50w

The Splawn QR is the quickest amp I realized wasn't going to work for me that I've ever owned. Guys sound fantastic out of em, I'm not one of those guys. Make sure you have an out--if you buy new without one you could take a pretty big hit.

Reactions: PDC
Hello all,

Input is appreciated
If you're unsure, I would recommend picking one up used from a forum user or reverb even. At least you won't have to eat the depreciation if you're not happy with it.

I haven't played a Nitro, but my quickrod is badass. That probably also depends on the kind of music you play. Best of luck!

While I do have a Nitro SS for sale in the classifieds, it's only because my days of playing outside of my home are over. I am utilizing the axe-fx for for super low volume at home stuff now, otherwise I would have absolutely no reason to sell my nitro. I think Splawn makes unreal amps. Ive owned this and a big boy Nitro for years. Great amps.

I had a Pro Stock, 100w single channel QR, older model. Loved it, but moved it on to try new things (Bogners, Friedmans, modded Marshalls). I went through several Friedmans, which I still like a lot, but picked up a Splawn Competition...Sold my JJ100.

The Splawn gave me what I liked about the Friedman in feel, but it was tighter yes still saturated and yes, for 50w, just as big at the stage volumes I played as the JJ100. Modded Marshall a bit more raw cut than the Friedman, less polished, and mine has the Old/New and Mid Cut. Great fx loop.

To each their own. Love my Comp, I got a great deal on a fully loaded QR. So I have both a Comp and QR and am trying to decide which one to sell as I don't need both.

I would have no problem buying a new Fully Loaded (definitely get one with these features if you can) Splawn b.c it punches well above its weight/cost compared to amps that cost $1000+more. As others have said, they can depreciate a bit b/c they're just not as well known, maybe the lore of 'weird mids' still haunts their brand, and they don't market or have lots of endorsements, so you can find great deals on used Splawns.

I bought both of mine used at good prices.

I've played older ones and they are quite amazing, but loud, and master volumes are not nearly as good as they are with the Loop Volumes on the newer ones. The newer circuit is great for me, still cuts with clarity, pretty big thump, tight and saturated, but again, I'd lean toward getting one with the Old/New and Mid Cut switches as they do make a big difference in the tone and feel.

Having been down this road, if you can find one at GC that has the New/Old, Mid Cut, go for it. Most the newer ones will have the loop volume, which I believe were introduced in 2010+. The 'newer' circuit that some referenced earlier started in 2012, I believe.

Hope that helps.

Back