Risk w/ Splawn, buyers remorse, and resale

What manufacturer besides Kiesel without custom options has a satisfaction guarantee grace period for refunds?

I've had a lot of Splawn QRs and picked up an older 2006 3 preamp QR a few weeks ago and love it. I don't play any amp straight in FWIW. I atleast put an EQ in the loop.

The Nitro is not nearly as popular as the Quick Rod so I'd say you'd take a big hit on it. Buy used. If you love it and want to upgrade to a new version at least you know you like it.
This is sound advice. Most people who look for a Splawn want a fully loaded QR or one around 2006 and nothing else. You’ll take a huge hit on any other model or configuration only because demand isn’t as high and you’ll have to offset the low demand with price.

You said you have played a Splawn Nitro and you liked it, yet you want Scott Splawn to give a money back guarantee. As mentioned by Metalupass2 no manufacturer gives that kind of guarantee, not Friedman, Suhr, Mesa Boogie. You will only get that from Sweetwater, GC or Musicians Friend or if you buy using Paypal and force a return on a private seller. You don't get that kind of guarantee buying a 40,000 dollar car, that's what the test drive is for....once you buy it...it's yours even if you grow to dislike it for whatever reason, it's still yours.

We all understand the gear market is dead due to economic constraints....In the old days when gear could be flipped we the buyers would just flip the amps that we didn't jive with unless there was some type of mechanical defect causing an issue. If you are not sure about your purchase then you're going to have to buy used from sellers that will give you the option to return.

You said you have played a Splawn Nitro and you liked it, yet you want Scott Splawn to give a money back guarantee. As mentioned by Metalupass2 no manufacturer gives that kind of guarantee, not Friedman, Suhr, Mesa Boogie. You will only get that from Sweetwater, GC or Musicians Friend or if you buy using Paypal and force a return on a private seller. You don't get that kind of guarantee buying a 40,000 dollar car, that's what the test drive is for....once you buy it...it's yours even if you grow to dislike it for whatever reason, it's still yours.

We all understand the gear market is dead due to economic constraints....In the old days when gear could be flipped we the buyers would just flip the amps that we didn't jive with unless there was some type of mechanical defect causing an issue. If you are not sure about your purchase then you're going to have to buy used from sellers that will give you the option to return.
I never said I wanted splawn to offer a money back guarantee.

I simply stated that there isn't one since they are custom - because there isn't. That was not me lodging a complaint. That was me providing pretext to my question.

It's a policy I understand and I myself, if I were him, would likely implement.

I never said I wanted splawn to offer a money back guarantee.

I simply stated that there isn't one since they are custom - because there isn't. That was not me lodging a complaint. That was me providing pretext to my question.

It's a policy I understand and I myself, if I were him, would likely implement.
I fully understand that's alot of money to invest if by chance you don't like it when you get it home. Unfortunately the current state of the musical gear market isn't robust and I think all manufacturers are feeling it as well. Like I said you will have to purchase through a seller that will give you that no hassle 30-45 day guarantee, since it's their policy then use it to the fullest if need be....alot of people do.:2thumbsup:

Last edited:
Chiming in again on this thread having owned 4 Splawns over the years: an older 100 watt QR and Nitro (pre old/new - mid/cut switches) and a fully loaded 50 watt QR (still own) and Nitro (sold).

Here’s my take on the legend of Splawn’s ‘weird mids’ floating around the internet:

1) For an older version amp without the Old/New - Mid/Cut switches, the ‘weird mids’ thing is 100% curable with speaker choice. Some speakers are very edgy and mid-forward and some speakers are smoother and more scooped. Pair an older Splawn head (QR or Nitro) with a smoother, scooped speaker and the difference is night and day.

2) The newer amps with the Old/New - Mid/Cut switches play surprisingly well with all sorts of speakers and cabinets. The switches cut different frequencies on the midrange spectrum - the Old/New switch seems to cut or boost lower mids, where the Mid Cut/Boost switch seems to affect upper mids. By toggling these switches up or down - along with the mid knob on the tone stack - you really can accommodate practically any speaker/cab combination.

The Nitro circuit was originally 3rd Gear of the ‘old’ QR circuit with the Mids ‘Cut’ in what later became the ‘New’ Voicing - before the voicing and mids were options. The major difference between the QR and Nitro being the ‘resonance’ control on the Nitro in place of the ‘Gear’ Selector knob on the QR. Get a new(er) QR in 3rd Gear, OD-2 in ‘New’ voicing with the Mids ‘Cut’ and you've basically got a Nitro.

Pair any old or new Splawn QR or Nitro with the right cabinet and speakers and you've got a killer amp that will cut through a live or recorded mix like no other.

Back