Rock n' Roll True Stories: Big Wreck

I first heard them back in the 90’s with “The Oaf”, WAAF used to play it nonstop, probably as the result of them being a Berklee band. I never heard any of their other hits back then, “That Song” or “Blown Wide Open” it wasn’t until years later when they put out Albatross that they were back on my radar, I heard “A Million Days” and it was like, “WTF? Chris Cornell singing and Petrucci playing guitar?!?! All those fucking layers of guitars?!?! This is BADASS!!”

Hahahah that was around the same time I started learning how to mix and how to really listen and it was that album that really made me understand what brickwalling was. :LOL: Seems they’ve gotten better with it, but holy fucking shit did they put out some albums with hot masters. The ….but or the sun album is so fucking smashed I won’t listen to it. I’ve never even heard the whole album, I can barely make it into the first song. Really unfortunate, because I know there’s killer guitar tones in there that are completely fucked by the master.

Hadn't seen that vid, had a couple of points I didn't know which is cool. To say that I'm a major fan would be an understatement; I met my wife in coat check at a Big Wreck show, and now our son is named Ian in tribute to that :)

I met Ian at a Suhr clinic at one of the local guitar shops, and he is as cool and down to earth as you might think he would be, which is great. They say "don't meet your heroes" because they can disappoint you, but thankfully that's not the case with him. See them whenever you can, great shows!

Back