Rolling Stone top 250 guitarist list

Space Ace is an icon...

-Ace-Frehley-ace-frehley-27388077-428-608.jpg

Oh yay, the 74-year-old editors with the bald ponytails and round, thick black frame glasses that still think that rag is somehow relevant put out another list.

It’s the only time anyone ever talks about them. Rolling Stone has been irrelevant for at least one full generation. Let me guess….Hendrix is #1.

A failing magazine would never make a bullshit list that would get literally the whole world talking about it, never ever!!
Yeah, they (R.S.) always seemed like the type of rag that would not include someone just out of spite. Not sure why Yngwie is not on there. I'm not even a fan of the guy but I wouldn't leave him out from such a list.

:dunno:

^^^ Yeah... From Alexa..

View attachment 260124
I've seen so many people that look like this. the big fat, slug necked, slob with a buzz cut, bad random tats, and weird sexual/gender identity issues, and a chip on their shoulders. like they're too unattractive to be a woman, and not comfortable being masculine because that looks like hard work, so they're just a sloppy looking "in between"...thing that doesn't really serve any purpose.

Let me guess….Hendrix is #1.
To be honest, that I don't mind and actually agree with. He was the biggest 'change' in rock guitar.
If you look at guitarists who are both great players AND who've had a lasting impact on not only music, but also associated subcultures and other guitarists, Hendrix should be #1, EVH #2 and #3 is highly, highly, HIGHLY debatable... (just spitballing, it could be Reinhardt, De Lucia, Schenker, Rhoads, Clapton, Segovia, Page, Knopfler, Atkins, Blackmore, Johnson (Robert, not Ellen Degeneres....) etc.)

To me there's a clear difference between 'who's the most accomplished guitarist who has mastered the instrument' vs. 'who has had the most impact on the course and shape of music as a whole, even though they might be not as 'virtuoso'?

Take Steve Vai vs. Ace Frehley for instance. Objectively, Vai can do 'more' on and with a guitar. But did he inspire as much young kids to pick up the guitar in the first place? And sure, Frehley was becoming big in a time when guitar and rock music was big, so he had that benefit.
Or take Chuck Berry...not a 'master of the guitar' by any means, but the man almost single-handedly defined rock 'n roll!
(Yes, I'm very aware of Ike Turner, Bill Haley, etc.)

These days we have people gushing about Tim Henson. I'm sure he's great, but a Blackmore or Schenker had way more impact on rock/metal music and guitar playing.

Just my 2cts.

Last edited:
Holy shit...I googled for this

Found a 2010 Rolling Stone 'Top 100 Guitarists' list (David Fricke's picks)....
EVH is at #70!!!! :eek: With some 60's one hit wonders above him, Jack White at #17 and the guys from Sonic Youth are in #33 and #34....

David Fricke, whoever you are...lay down the bong.

Les Paul at #46...Sure, don't let the fact that he provided the name of one of the most famous and iconic guitars in the world stand in your way. o_O
I'm sure that Ron Asheton @ #29 is a 'better/more influential guitarist' :unsure:.... Oh, that's right... WHO?! :sleep:

Back