Ronnie James Dio book

Upside down the logo can either spell devil or die. Can the OP still enjoy the music knowing this?

1634131863238.jpeg

Dio's stage antics and whole satanic thing was just a gimmick of the times. As a kid I never took it seriously. Just like Ozzy or King Diamond ha. I totally believe Viv because it is pretty commonplace for musicians to get ripped off by singers and management in the biz. Look at Jake E Lee. Sykes. Etc.

It is too bad those singers and managers did not realize the value of a a great songwriter and guitar player. But those guys never had the leverage so they got screwed. At least they had the balls to move on and not just take it in the arse

Soooo, you think Dio is in hell right now? :dunno: I think I remember that bit, he’s just playing on the “better to rule in hell than serve in heaven” theme of Milton’s Paradise Lost, but the song itself is more about seeing through the lies of the world (politicians, religion, authority) that “blind your eyes and steal your dreams”. Rebelling against authority etc…
It’s a more philosophical version of Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It” lol
No idea bud, I'm no one's judge. I think you are right and he mentions in the book the priest on the Holy diver cover may have been the bad guy. I took all that stuff at face value and was not into it despite the fact that I loved the music, Viv's playing and of course Ronnie's voice.

To this day my band plays Diver and Last in line -occasionally. Bets solos in the set for me!

Someone that goes down on a nun ???:rolleyes:
In the book Ronnie's words were it was meant to be a mystery as to who was the evil one and the deception we have thrown at us weather it be Jim Jones or full on evil. The words 'your the star of the mascaraed' may be the key to it? I always thought it was poetic none sense and that he was evil.

I think people need to separate "performance art" from religion when it comes to RJD. He created this world in which he performed and his albums were heavily themed because the subject made for incredible lyrics and songs. I mean those live shows of his were legendary as were the props. Let's be honest, Stryper lyrics or RJD lyrics? It's a no brainer.

On the business side, the truth always lies somewhere in the center. I'm sure both have some valid points but as he has since passed, there is no point in speculating or shitting on the guy. I'm sure he wasn't always the easiest to work with but that is true of any talent.

I'd guess he was taking a shot at organized religion being the true evil.
beast.jpg

Oh for sure but i find no difference between an organized religion telling me im going to hell or a rock band enticing me to do the same thing.
Same with Maiden. we played several Maiden songs but i never bought into the "number of the beast" crapola.
But alot of potheads i knew did.
Devil music sells records & tapes. But so does MaDonna.

Last edited:
I belive Vivian.
Same here.

For the simple fact that when he left, he didn't walk right into another band i.e. Whitesnake. When he left he was basically starting over with his friends from Ireland, then got the call from Whitesnake. I think Vivian would have stayed with Dio had he lived up to the financial promises of which Vinny Appice has confirmed. I think RJD was probably a pretty fair person and maybe tried his best to provide a good wage and other promises and couldn't financially do it without risking his own welfare. So Vivian bailed. Obviously Vinny and Jimmy stayed but those were guys were older than Vivian and knew it's better to have steady pay than taking a step back. Frankly, Campbell was lucky he got the call from Whitesnake, had he not who knows what might have happened with him.

Same here.

For the simple fact that when he left, he didn't walk right into another band i.e. Whitesnake. When he left he was basically starting over with his friends from Ireland, then got the call from Whitesnake. I think Vivian would have stayed with Dio had he lived up to the financial promises of which Vinny Appice has confirmed. I think RJD was probably a pretty fair person and maybe tried his best to provide a good wage and other promises and couldn't financially do it without risking his own welfare. So Vivian bailed. Obviously Vinny and Jimmy stayed but those were guys were older than Vivian and knew it's better to have steady pay than taking a step back. Frankly, Campbell was lucky he got the call from Whitesnake, had he not who knows what might have happened with him.
He did Trinity and Riverdogs and much later squandered his talent to play second fiddle to Phil Colon in Deaf Leppy for a payday.

He did Trinity and Riverdogs and much later squandered his talent to play second fiddle to Phil Colon in Deaf Leppy for a payday.
Yeah Trinity was between Dio and WS. Then after WS he did Shadowking with Gramm...ahh it's ok.

Riverdogs is a fantastic album. Rob Lamothe is amazing. Still wonder why that album didn't go big.

He's taken a backseat to Phil all these years but you do what you gotta do for a living.

What? Where do you see Devil or Die? He's Italian, he called himself "God" or "Dio" for even more impact. Did you also play Twisted Sister records backwards and get the urge to put a gun to your head??
Google it. It’s been an urban legend since the 80’s. At the time I was playing Venom records forwards, thank you very much

Back on track with the music side, this was from the Last in line (band) sound check I was at in 2018, soooo loud. My ears were ringing before the show started. o_O Such a great tone. Blackmoore signature Engle amps, 2 Viv signature Les Paul's, a cable and a wah was Viv's rig. Roadie/guitar tech (Alan Sosa) said he wanted to keep it simple to prevent potential mishaps with a shoe string crew. Killer show! Andrew Freeman's vocals were so loud and powerful my ears hurt from that alone. Not since Steel panther the year before had I felt like I was in the heyday of the 80's concerts!

Enticing you ? I hope you're not that gullible lol. It's all just marketing, unless we're talking about some bands from Norway that murder and burn churches, THEY MIGHT be for real lol
Yes alot of marketing. But every once in a while you get those mentally disturbed folks like the kid who whacked himself listening to Ozzy "suicide solution" who's family took Oz to court as well the same thing happened to Judas Priest. Both cases were found not culpable.
I believe was reported the guy who shot Darryl Abbott thought the devil was telling him to do that too.
Things like that happen with or without rock music but who's to say what causes someone to kill.
We seem to average a mass shooting at least once a month somewhere and music doesn't seem to play a part.

Last edited:
Back