Runt vs. Pink Taco

idnotbe

I had a PT but haven't played a Runt yet.
what's the tonal difference between the two?

based on the youtube demos, Runt seems brighter and emphasizes high freq.
while PT has more mid~low and thicker tone than Runt.

is it right?

Sounds about right, although full disclosure I only played the Runt at Guitar Center (own a Pink Taco).

True story - the GC folks hadnt heard of the Runt/Friedman before. Within about a minute of plugging it in, half the store came over to ask what sounded so good.

I have a PT20 and played the Runt 20 and 50 and what you said is about right to my ears. The PT20 has a better rock/bluesy/tube sound that just sounds nice and thick to me... I'm debating on getting a Runt 50 cause it does a better metal/jug jug sound than the PT20 and has more bass response that the Runt 20 when played at the same volumes when AB'd thru a 4x12 Friedman cab.

danburton":1qd4wknd said:
Sounds about right, although full disclosure I only played the Runt at Guitar Center (own a Pink Taco).

True story - the GC folks hadnt heard of the Runt/Friedman before. Within about a minute of plugging it in, half the store came over to ask what sounded so good.

Wow... I thought that at most GC workers are deaf, mindless, soulless robots who couldn't care less about great tone. At least that's the way the ones at the Vegas GC that I visit now and then always seem. I used to buy stuff there on my Vegas getaways, but I got tired of the mood there... so now when I bother to stop in, it's only to see if there's something that I haven't seen before and check it out (which I then order from Sweetwater or somewhere else).

Red_Label":146u21uf said:
danburton":146u21uf said:

Wow... I thought that at most GC workers are deaf, mindless, soulless robots who couldn't care less about great tone. At least that's the way the ones at the Vegas GC that I visit now and then always seem. I used to buy stuff there on my Vegas getaways, but I got tired of the mood there... so now when I bother to stop in, it's only to see if there's something that I haven't seen before and check it out (which I then order from Sweetwater or somewhere else).

Not always...its like anything else in life: mixed bag & not always the same. I worked at two different GC stores while in college (going on 15-16 years ago now) and some of my colleagues were indeed mindless, soulless robots but a handful were awesome musicians who have continued to produce awesome music over the period Ive known them. A lot of the gear at GC is unsuitable for professionals but not every GC customer is a seasoned pro. I buy most of my gear from shops that cater to high-end gear but its not easy to avoid GC when its saturday morning before rehearsal and you need drum heads or something.

That being said, some GC stores do have great gear. I have gotten some awesome deals on pro-level used guitars and amps there, plus, they do carry Friedman (and not just the Runts) at the stores that do cater to pros (usually in bigger cities).

There's a platinum shop in Dallas that carries Friedman, Bogner, and Diezel stuff. Not a lot of it, but some

-So the pt-20 has that juicy Marshall feel?
I've been debating on what Marshall type amp to get that authentic Marshall feel at home. My Butterslax fills every hard rock/metal void I have.
The pt-20 has really peaked my interest.
-Does it do the 80's hair stuff at decent home volumes?
Not talking quiet, but not band level'either

The PT20 sounds awesome at low volume yes, even very low volume such as playing while the wife is watching tv in the same room. It's an epic amp.

Love my PT - it's makes me want to play Van Halen. Great tone.

The Runt has a great clean channel. I have the 20. I prefer the gain on the PT, but just personal preference, they're both great.

I've been debating between these two. Is it possible to get any sort of workable clean tone out of the PT-20? I (like many) would like an amp that can do a nice clean and also get nice and dirty.

My alternative would be to get a clean amp and maybe put a BE overdrive pedal in front of it. Thoughts on either option?

shaps6":10uiorfa said:
I've been debating between these two. Is it possible to get any sort of workable clean tone out of the PT-20? I (like many) would like an amp that can do a nice clean and also get nice and dirty.

My alternative would be to get a clean amp and maybe put a BE overdrive pedal in front of it. Thoughts on either option?
Go with the 50

Yeah, that's what I figured. I've also been looking at the Tone King Royalist MK II. But it costs quite a pretty penny. Do you (or does anyone) know how it stacks up?

I used to have the Royalist. I really liked it. Not anywhere near the gain of the Friedmans though. That amp makes me want to play AC/DC all night long. I always wanted more gain out of it because it sounds very good. The Ironman attenuator isn't nearly as slick as the Friedman's master.

If you want cleans, forget the PT. It's about rockin'!!! You can clean it up, but where's the fun in that? lol The Runt has dedicated clean and mean.

ur2funky":1sk6pc6f said:
I used to have the Royalist. I really liked it. Not anywhere near the gain of the Friedmans though. That amp makes me want to play AC/DC all night long. I always wanted more gain out of it because it sounds very good. The Ironman attenuator isn't nearly as slick as the Friedman's master.

If you want cleans, forget the PT. It's about rockin'!!! You can clean it up, but where's the fun in that? lol The Runt has dedicated clean and mean.

Haha, thanks! I'm confused about the Runt gain channel--I heard that the gain channel is based on the BE circuit, but I thought the distortion is supposed to come from the preamp (or something) tubes...? Is the gain channel basically just a distortion/OD pedal circuit housed in the amp, or do I just not understand how these things work?

Back