SAM ASH CLOSING ALL STORES

Can’t say I feel bad about this. Yep, it’s a hit to players who want to go into a store and check out a bunch of stuff, but I’ve been visiting the same store for 20 years, saw the staff cycle over numerous times and they absolutely weren’t doing anything to bring new customers in or retain what they had.

I went in last night and the best “deal” I saw was 5% off amps and pedals. Heard the salesmen saying they were going to have to re-tag everything in 2 weeks when they lower prices again. There’s a 1987x in there for $1999 I’ll keep an eye on but outside of that it was nothing but the usual beginner/intermediate junk.

Reactions: rsm
There are two here in Orlando

One of them is total shit, it's huge inside but filled with nothing basically.

The other one is much smaller but also a lot nicer. For a while they had some really nice used gear in there on trade and good deals on new guitars behind the counter too (if you're into that sort of thing). Pretty night and day difference between the two stores - if I had only ever been to the first one, I'd say "good riddance." I'll miss that other store though, bought 4 or 5 amps there and two guitars over the last few years. That said, the used gear there really dropped off lately, and once that happens it is over.

One thing I noticed is that their online sales seem to be "optional" if that makes sense. A lot of stores don't bother listing stuff on the actual Sam Ash website, some of them even list stuff on Reverb instead, my stores don't list anything at all so you have to show up. Something as simple as just listing what stuff the store has on the official site would be a big deal towards actually making sales because people check before they go these days. Like I don't have time to drive 30 minutes to walk around and maybe see something interesting, I only go to my local music stores if I know they have something I actually want, and I can only imagine the younger crowd feels this way even more.

I usually don't shop Sam Ash unless they have something worthwhile.

Prior to the pandemic they had a set of Hammond Xk-5 32-note pedals in stock for a great price; no one had these in stock.

I ordered it, turns out it wasn't in stock, and it took over a year, maybe close to 2 years when I got a call that the order was in, and did I still want it.

When I ordered it the price (new) was $1,795; the new post-pandemic price was $2,695 if you could find one as they were all listed as out of stock.

Sam Ash sold it to me at the original price at the time I ordered it: $1,795. They also didn't put a hold or charge my credit card until I confirmed I wanted it, and they confirmed the price.

About 8 years ago Sam Ash had stopped offering the killer incentives to purchase things from them.

You spend this much ...... and you get this item, and if you spend this much ...... and get this item, .......

They would send out $200 off, $300 off, $400 off, ...... all the time plus they would give you additional things for spending over a certain amount.

Plus Sam Ash was also great for getting something at an unheard of price when they were clearing things out for the next model/version.

I haven't purchased anything from them in years but I had spent easily $20,000+ over the years due to those damn incentives 😂

I was at the Hollywood one three weeks ago and it looked like it was on life support. Great sales going on, but nothing I really wanted. I was at the one in Phoenix today and there were no signs on the door about closing or sales. In fact, they'd had a 15% off everything sale for all of April, but stuff was back to full price today. Minutes after I walked out of there, I saw the announcement on FB that ALL stores were closing. There are a few guitars there I'd pounce on if they were selling them for stupid cheap, but I don't see that happening. The '77 Marshall 2204 I had my eye on last week was not there today.
I went to the Phoenix location today for the first time in a few years, it was packed full of people and they now have signs up, only 5% off and nothing really worthwhile. Guitar center on the other hand, I was pretty impressed with, the place was clean and stocked with every thing from cheap stuff to some pretty nice suhrs, Gibson custom, and other nice botique guitars. Some cool used amps too.

The worker at Sam ash says they are completely closing down including the website unless an investor steps in and saves them.

I almost feel ashamed of myself because about 10 years ago I realized that no matter what music store I went into, there was absolutely NOTHING in any store that could hold a candle to what was at my house. That's when I realized what a fucking snob I had become. It got worse when I started judging you fucks on this forum for playing sub-unobtainium gear because you "had to feed your families", " buy insurance for your car" or "pay for medical procedures" and stupid shit like that. I could care less about a chain store closing down and a bunch of college students having one less place to work selling cheap ass import crap to hack musicians, and then telling me to stay out of the "boutique room" because my rancid farts will cause the exquisitely "aged" Murphy lab Les Paul's finishing to crack and check "unnaturally". Then there's always the 50-something year old gear snob that acts like nothing in the store is worthy of his attention and goes online to rant about how chain stores suck balls, and how they have better equipment at home and....uh....um........nevermind.

I have no idea how these stores last as long as they do. Times have changed, it's not the 80"s anymore.

Back