Saw STP w/ Meat Puppets last night

kannibul

Meat Puppets: SUCK. You'd think a one-hit wonder would get some decent equipment, and have their sound properly set up...or maybe the sound was properly set up...but man - they sounded horrible. You can tell someone obviously wrote their one-hitter. Peavey 2x12 solid state bass combo, some guitar amp (head, black w/tan, panel on top) and 1x12 cab, black w/ tan grill I didn't recognize) Unintelligable vocals, too much effects over vocals, cymbals non-existant, snare was horrible, despite it looking like an "add-on-upgrade" - think NIN's Closer, but with less bass...uhg. At one point I stuck my fingers in my ears, and the sound was instantly better (it was more balanced - I suspect whoever did sound check, did it with earplugs in - seriously!)

STP: Holy shit they brought their A-Game to a small (3-4K) venue. Scott was ON it. As a musician I enjoyed the shit out of the performance, as a fan I enjoyed the shit out of the whole thing. So many great songs, guitar tones were unbelievable...drums sounded great too...the floor toms especially came across VERY well. Don't know enough about bass to judge, but I know he was using Ampeg cabs. Couldn't make out any of the rack gear.

Noteables:

Scott's birthday - they brought out a cake and had us sing. Oddly, the last concert I went to AIC, and was Jerry Cantrell's father's birthday, who was present (Jerry is from Oklahoma), and they had us sing as well.

Inside: On the way out the door from the place some dude was yelling "Get out the way, I got to get my girl out of here" and was pushing me a bit - I look over at him, and say "So do I, so does everyone else" in a nice agressive shut-the-fuck-up-you-half-drunk-idiot kind of tone. "We cool, we cool, man let me get a hand(shake)" - I look at him again like he's a flaming moron, grabbed his hand and pushed it down.

Venue: Sound was OK, lights were great. Getting in and getting out was a bit nuts. Getting out, me and my friend just popped a squat on a parking bump, and just waited it out by finding things to laugh about - such as the people in their cars, stuck and not moving for more than 10 minutes, looking at us as if we're the weird ones, and other while people going around with thier car-remotes beeping their car to try and find it...at one point, I had my friend look at me with a complete WTF look - I said in a louder voice "WELL, OUR CAR WAS HERE..." - after a second, he caught on when I looked over his shoulder, and started cracking up...

In all a pretty fun night.

was that at the SpiritBank place?

Hell Tulsa has about 3 or 4 more concert venues...it seems like every indian tribe and city organization is building one

sub

I saw STP at the U.S. cellular coliseum. That too, was an INCREDIBLE show!

Absolutley grand performance :rock:

Bank of OK Center rocks, much nicer than the Ford Center in OKC. Saw the Eagles there and not long after that, Kenny Chesney. (Took my wife to see Kenny... she had a great time. Me... not so much. :) )

Funny thing, the Eagles opened the B OK center, and Glenn Frey called it the 'bawk' center. Was pretty funny.

Subclavian":1jnj2qxc said:
was that at the SpiritBank place?

Hell Tulsa has about 3 or 4 more concert venues...it seems like every indian tribe and city organization is building one

sub

bartmcartman":18gw88ud said:
I believe the puppets guitarist uses a bogner xtc which would explain the tan panel and black bottom.

I would have recognized an XTC. This was black on both ends, with a tanish/cream color center section. The panel/chassis was a "top-load", and it had a matching 1x12 cab.

I know that Kurt Kirkwood used to use an xtc. Almost sounds like egnater's design. I had one of their cd's from maybe ten plus years ago called too high to die and it was really good. Saw some video of them and they were pretty sloppy. Cool that STP was good.

Back