Schecter Nick Johnston? Charvel DK 2PT?

napalmdeath

Looking for something Stratty, but don't really like the Fender MIM offerings. I especially don't like the volume knob location. I kinda really like the Charvel DK HSS and SSS as well. I do like the roasted/carmelized maple!

Enter the Schecter NJ import. I'm especially interested in the HSS.. Id really dig the SSS if they were humbuckers in a single coil.

Anybody own/play one??

Last edited:
I don't know what your budget is but check out the Ernie Ball cutlass HSS it is a phenomenal guitar.

I dig the NJ quite a bit. Haven't played one yet but by all accounts it punches way above it's weight. No brainer with a GC coupon.

Add to cart!

Have not checked out the Schecter NJ, but have owned a couple Charvel 2PT, HSH and SSS. Incredible value for the price, even not considering price I really love them.
The specs on the Schecter looks great, but I don’t like the no-fret-markers and would rather go for the MIM Charvels than the Indonesian Schecter. But that is just my 2 cents, lots of folks like the Indonesian guitars, but every one I’ve ever played/owned just felt cheap to me.

Otherwise, probably can’t go wrong with any of them, good prices and specs.

Have not checked out the Schecter NJ, but have owned a couple Charvel 2PT, HSH and SSS. Incredible value for the price, even not considering price I really love them.
The specs on the Schecter looks great, but I don’t like the no-fret-markers and would rather go for the MIM Charvels than the Indonesian Schecter. But that is just my 2 cents, lots of folks like the Indonesian guitars, but every one I’ve ever played/owned just felt cheap to me.

Otherwise, probably can’t go wrong with any of them, good prices and specs.
Oddly enough, I've seen a couple of the Charvels were made in Korea?

The Pro-Mod Dk24 hsh and DK22 sss I owned were MIM, it also says it on the headstock under the Charvel logo. Maybe there are some models made in Korea, I’m not sure.

The Pro-Mod Dk24 hsh and DK22 sss I owned were MIM, it also says it on the headstock under the Charvel logo. Maybe there are some models made in Korea, I’m not sure.
There's definitely some made in Korea. I hate to say it, but I'd take Korea over MIM any day.

Schecter, on the other hand, I know is Indonesia.. But everything Schecter is pretty darn consistent. They have great QC in the US, where they all get set up. I like the pickup choices more in the Charvels.

Ideally, I like the idea of picking up an NJ used and upgrading the pickups. I've seen them used around $600.

I also don't like the fret markers on the NJ neck but that's about it. I like the neck radius, larger fret wire, volume knob placement, and side output jack. There are fretboard dot stickers you can buy. Or, the Schecter Jack Fowler is basically the same guitar with real fret dots though it's HH so you'd be looking at a replacement pick guard if you wanted a different pickup configuration. Oh, and something to replace the awful volume and tone knobs on that model.

I also don't like the fret markers on the NJ neck but that's about it. I like the neck radius, larger fret wire, volume knob placement, and side output jack. There are fretboard dot stickers you can buy. Or, the Schecter Jack Fowler is basically the same guitar with real fret dots though it's HH so you'd be looking at a replacement pick guard if you wanted a different pickup configuration. Oh, and something to replace the awful volume and tone knobs on that model.
Yeah, same knobs on my SG! I'd definitely get some cream Fenders.. I'm leaning towards the Charvel 2PT. I like the SSS, but never hear a Hot Rail in a bridge position??

My brother in law got a Schecter Johnston (import) a few months ago. I was able to jam it about a month and a half ago. Killer guitar that stayed in tune well. Sounded killer too.

Yeah, same knobs on my SG! I'd definitely get some cream Fenders.. I'm leaning towards the Charvel 2PT. I like the SSS, but never hear a Hot Rail in a bridge position??

To me personally the Hot Rails is the sc-sized humbucker that sounds most like an actual full sized hot humbucker

Others I've owned/tried include the Dimarzio Tone Zone S, Chopper, Chopper T, Duncan Vintage Rails and Duncan Cool Rails.

I personally prefer the Hot Rails over all of those as a bridge pickup

I have a MIM HSS DK24 that I'm very happy with, but I modded it quite a bit. I bought it as a cheaper version of my ash GG model...it's obviously not as refined, but feels similar.

The 2pt DKs commonly have tuning issues, mostly having to due with the string trees. I got by with lubing the shit out of them but just finally removed the trees and swapped out tuners for staggered hipshots...stays in tune perfectly now. I had also added the Wilkenson locking saddles earlier and they helped, but changing the trees/tuners had a bigger impact.

On my HSS I swapped the bridge pickup for a Jalen Franky and the neck single for a noiseless Heavy Blues2...the HB2 was a nice surprise, it matches up with the bridge HB really well.

I have a MIM HSS DK24 that I'm very happy with, but I modded it quite a bit. I bought it as a cheaper version of my ash GG model...it's obviously not as refined, but feels similar.

The 2pt DKs commonly have tuning issues, mostly having to due with the string trees. I got by with lubing the shit out of them but just finally removed the trees and swapped out tuners for staggered hipshots...stays in tune perfectly now. I had also added the Wilkenson locking saddles earlier and they helped, but changing the trees/tuners had a bigger impact.
This is probably my biggest reservation, and I'm glad you touched on it. I've heard/read many complaints about tuning issues. That's enough to drive me batshit crazy. I almost bought one this AM and backed out, due to this. My only reservation on the Schecter is the pickups, but with the cheaper price, upgrading wouldn't be so bad. However, I've had a Solo II Custom that has the same pickups as the Fowler, and they're damn good. Those are true USA made, and very nice sounding across the board. I have a zebra Duncan SH-5/'59 set unopened too..

I'm tired of spending $1000+ and having to do upgrades..

Last edited:
Back