Sell your mark IIC+: the black album was a mark 3.

All the earlier Nightranger albums were 2C and C+. All by their lonesome.
Plus Mob Rules by BS? 2Bs. From what I’ve read anyway.
Marshalls are my fav tone; but Mesa Marks have been used exclusively to record a few records. Purple Rain by Prince is another.
Just sayin.

Racer, that comment about “no one using them” was very much sarcastic. But I’m dead serious about modern metal tones and how they are literally not used at all, nor have they been. Yet they are so revered by the heavy crowd. Again, I think it’s a great sounding amp for leads no doubt about it.

And one of the best recorded rhythm tones of all time for Master of Puppets...

According to Flemming Rasmussen: the Mark ii c + or ++ was slaved into the Marshall JCM 800 "ONLY" for some leads on MOP

So the myth of MOP's rhythm tones being the Mark ii c + slaved into the Marshall can be laid to rest

Last edited:
VES…you seem the most riled up about this. I had a red stripe III that was better for metal than the C+ I had. Very aggressive. The IIC++ is my dream amp. Aggressive and gainy yet tight and musical. Have you played thru one?
I love my green stripe 3++ . It’s been years since I heard it against a 2c++ . I remembered them being not too different.they were . But I want to try again just to know .curious

I love where the bass knob is set. :loco::hys:

1654397797229.png

1. Cycles is the term they used to use for hz. For instance if you look at old pultec eq’s, you’ll see on the low end knob it has selectable ranges from 20 “cycles”(cps) up to 100 “cycles”… we call this hz today. On that note, bob is referring to the frequency/hz/cycles range in which that resonance in James’s guitar tone was prominent that they were trying to capture. In this case, bob thought it was around 3-400 “cycles” or hz… same thing :)

2. He’s saying that you can “hear alittle bit of room in there”, meaning the sound of the room mic. He’s explaining how adding that room mic in there, it takes away some of the harshness and nastiness in the high end. Basically what he’s referring to is phase cancellation from the u87 in relation to the close mics on the cab (57 and 421) and how adding the u87 helped smooth out the top end.

Thank you very much VESmedic for your answers. Things are much more clearer now.

Are you really trying to say something about their tone and how they may have or have not dialed it in? Seriously…. Think about what/who you’re criticizing right now….
Honestly, maybe the amp was tone stack modded but with the bass up that high, any Mark I owned would be mud city regardless of how you frame the GEQ

I can totally see how the Black Album was Mark 3. The 2C sound is hairier and the mids are different, they are both tight but the 3 is tighter.

I had a Mark iii ++
It just oooooozed Metallica.
Really playing it. Full stack cabs. Hearing it in the room with my drummer. I really don’t expect more than that for that tone.
I have a 3++ . I absolutely love it for thst tone . It’s dead on

Back