Sellers want their cake & eat it too now..

Good points. This forces us back in time to when were sending money orders or paypal with no protection again. Only businesses or individuals willing to act like a business get protection on transactions. Now you gotta be able to prove you lost money or broke even if audited. It's a hassle more than a problem.
Yep, its a hassle. I started listing my cost on every Reverb posting so I have a spreadsheet available to print right off their site. Atleast it's there for the convenience factor.

Agreed. Many sellers are still delusional and buyers are slowly beginning to say fuck that noise.
There is a pawn shop I go to in my area, sometimes they have good stuff, sometimes not. Anyway they are a "reverb listing price" place. So they deal from those numbers. They have probably 7-8 Standard Mex strats in there now, all listed at $500-$600. They aren't going anywhere. They will take a bath on them unless they paid pennies, but that's their fault.

There is a pawn shop I go to in my area, sometimes they have good stuff, sometimes not. Anyway they are a "reverb listing price" place. So they deal from those numbers. They have probably 7-8 Standard Mex strats in there now, all listed at $500-$600. They aren't going anywhere. They will take a bath on them unless they paid pennies, but that's their fault.
They'd probably still make a good % at $300. That's just being greedy. You know some poor bastard sold them for $180 cuz that's all they'd give 'em.

They'd probably still make a good % at $300. That's just being greedy. You know some poor bastard sold them for $180 cuz that's all they'd give 'em.
Crazy thing is though, 5-6 years ago they'd never even offer you $180. They'd go $120 and probably $50 on a squier. I am seeing the Mex Strat market plummet, I only use that as an example because I am in that market currently.

Over paying for anything usually doesnt work out to well in the end. I just dont get the music instrument /amp thing, people playing music is probably at an all time low. Woke lil bitch might hurt his fingers on those strings. :yes:

Over paying for anything usually doesnt work out to well in the end. I just dont get the music instrument /amp thing, people playing music is probably at an all time low. Woke lil bitch might hurt his fingers on those strings. :yes:
I play about 2hrs 3-4 times a week. I actually do play!

It's because a bunch of people had to stay home due to lockdown, and they thought "Woah, wouldn't learning how to play guitar be cool?" So, they went and got a guitar and amp and realized "Oh shit, you actually have to spend time with this??" and put the guitar in the corner and picked back up their Playstation controller. Those guitars and amps will flood the market soon. Gonna be a hell of a lot of killer deals on PRS SE's and Fender Mexican guitars!

When I sell something locally and the buyer asks me if I can deliver to him because he doesn't have a car......I say sure no prob but you need to send me $20 by e-transfer before I leave. Some say forget it then. I am not driving 30 mins both ways to have you try my item and say no I don't like it or try and low ball the price when I am there knowing that I just drove there and thinking I will take lower price since I went to trouble to get there.

No way pal. Pay me 20 up front before I go so at least my gas is covered and you won't try and low ball when I get there.

Look at local buyers, they offer way less than asking price and then want the seller to drive it to their house. Definitely goes both ways and there are good and bad transactions.
I was selling my entire Dime rig on CL recently had one serious guy interested he wanted me to meet him halfway because he was two hours away. I told him absolutely not! I wasn't dragging an Amp head, guitar and PQ3 in my truck to meet up where he would not be able to test everything out fully to see if it was fully functional as I said it was. He eventually drove down and played through the entire setup was happy with it all and purchased everything. I always like to look at the items I'm interested in without being rushed but I'm not scared of interacting with people.

Anyway it all worked out for the best.

I'm always crunched for time, so I do ask if folks can help meet me somewhere close, but I always offer to compensate for that.

I hate that gear prices became volatile. I like buying and selling stuff, but it's practically impossible when the prices are swinging wildly.

I don't want to look at my hobby as a business. I get the impression that a lot of folks see it as a side hustle to make money and that makes my skin crawl. It's just guitar stuff man. Lighten up and let it be fun. It's not fun at all to have some one trying to leech every penny out of me they can, and I hate feeling like I have to respond the same way.

I'm always crunched for time, so I do ask if folks can help meet me somewhere close, but I always offer to compensate for that.

I hate that gear prices became volatile. I like buying and selling stuff, but it's practically impossible when the prices are swinging wildly.

I don't want to look at my hobby as a business. I get the impression that a lot of folks see it as a side hustle to make money and that makes my skin crawl. It's just guitar stuff man. Lighten up and let it be fun. It's not fun at all to have some one trying to leach every penny out of me they can, and I hate feeling like I have to respond the same way.
I have given away more stuff in the past 6 months than I have bought, I don't have money I just dont like having extra shit laying around and I figure, if someone else can use it...hell yeah.

It's because a bunch of people had to stay home due to lockdown, and they thought "Woah, wouldn't learning how to play guitar be cool?" So, they went and got a guitar and amp and realized "Oh shit, you actually have to spend time with this??" and put the guitar in the corner and picked back up their Playstation controller. Those guitars and amps will flood the market soon. Gonna be a hell of a lot of killer deals on PRS SE's and Fender Mexican guitars!
Yeah, I found it funny that the SE Silver Sky had people wetting their pants, and there's already 12 on Reverb - most of which are priced the same as new, or MORE.

These guitars are already flooding the market. Problem is, too many fuckheads asking new prices for it.

One time I was selling a modified Tube Screamer pedal locally. Some kid contacted me and said he wanted it badly and gave me a long sob story about how he can't come pick it up and asked if I could drive it to his place. Being a nice guy I said yes. So I drive 25 mins to his place and he answers the door. He asks me to come in and go downstairs stairs of his parents very large home so he can try it to make sure it works.

So i stand there watching him try it and twisting knobs for 5 mins and he looks up at me and says i am not going to take it. It doesn't sound like i thought it would. Lol so i snap and look at him with a very serious face and say "yes you are buying it so give me the money now". Then he says "yeah ok you're right i should take it and mess around more." Handed me the cash immediately and then i walked out.

That was the last time i will ever deliver something without money paid up front to cover gas and time.

I don't want to look at my hobby as a business. I get the impression that a lot of folks see it as a side hustle to make money and that makes my skin crawl. It's just guitar stuff man. Lighten up and let it be fun. It's not fun at all to have some one trying to leech every penny out of me they can, and I hate feeling like I have to respond the same way.
Yeah, there's a "dealer" on Reverb selling a slew of used Edwards LP's. He's asking $1850 for a John Sykes, $1749 for an LPC, $1300+ for a few LTS's. You know he paid nothing for them.

If I buy on here I always offer to pay or just go ahead and pay half of the fees if not noted, for many on here I’d do F&F, but otherwise I would hope the seller bakes the fees into the listing price. I can see the points here on fees, but if I’m buying from an unknown person, they chose the platform, setup the sale on the platform, agreed to accept payment services and that includes fees for using those services and getting paid.
Should buyers pay the sellers Reverb or eBay (who also offer forms of protection) fees as well or what makes those fees different from credit card transaction fees?
Not arguing one way or the other, I don’t think there’s really a right way. A seller can set whatever terms on their sale.

I gave up when I sold an expensive amp to a bro and it was damaged in shipping.
He didn't tell me until it was too late to claim the insurance.
It has turned into a nightmare for me as he never keeps me informed about anything.
Now I'm too mad to even ask him "what the fuck?".
Fuck it. I have given up entirely now. It just isn't worth it.

I gave up when I sold an expensive amp to a bro and it was damaged in shipping.
He didn't tell me until it was too late to claim the insurance.
It has turned into a nightmare for me as he never keeps me informed about anything.
Now I'm too mad to even ask him "what the fuck?".
Fuck it. I have given up entirely now. It just isn't worth it.
Somebody here? He waited months to tell you?

Inquired about another amp, he wants me to ADD TAX?

"Would need to get paid either Venmo or friends and family unless you want to add tax and PP fees".

I've only been buying gear from either Sweetwater or GC, so I can return it if I don't like it.
I want to sell a guitar or 2, but I'm not psyched about shipping and the local market is "meh" at best.

Back