Shimming a neck - DIY suggestions??

napalmdeath

I just got a Jackson DK2 that the action is a bit high, even after lowering the bridge, (Floyd Rose), considerably. Shimming seems to be the obvious fix. I've explored the StewMac shims, but damn they're overpriced, and so is their shipping..

Anybody have a DIY trick that doesn't leave air pockets, or loss of tone?

The cheapest (but most time consuming) is to angle the neck pocket yourself with a sanding block. Probably go with a 0.5 degree cut.

You might be able to get away with a non-angled shim if you just want to flatly raise the entire neck. Take a trip to the local lumber store for a piece of hardwood veneer and shape it to fit the neck pocket. No idea on price.

The $18.34 StewMac shim ($8.35 + $9.99 shipping) would be very fast and a ton less work.

I just got a Jackson DK2 that the action is a bit high, even after lowering the bridge, (Floyd Rose), considerably. Shimming seems to be the obvious fix. I've explored the StewMac shims, but damn they're overpriced, and so is their shipping..

Anybody have a DIY trick that doesn't leave air pockets, or loss of tone?
These work great Tzong 4pcs Guitar Neck Shims... small air pockets aren’t going to cause and issues. Not much different than the micro tilt on a strat. You may not even notice cosmetically. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085L39F84?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

You may also consider removing the plate between your Floyd plate and block that sits about the flat springs of you have a real Floyd. That’s .040 right there

I have used a pick over the years, of various thickness to get the angle I needed and most players have an assortment of picks laying around.

Stewmac sells pre cut wood neck pocket shims. They're not cheap, but it's the right way to do it

I've seen picks, cigarette box ends, business cards, etc. all used for neck shims over the years. I've frequently used post-it notes since they stick in place. You just fold them over to get the thickness you need. It generally takes very little to shim a neck, usually far less than people expect.

The problem with using guitar picks etc. (yes I’ve done it too) is that over time it can actually cause your fingerboard to warp. Saw it in a video anyhow.
i sucked it up and bought a 3 pack of the Stewmac shims. Worked like a charm for me.

Trace a little bit of the rear of the heel on a business card or the thin cardboard packaging from a string pack. Cut it out and if you want it angled just sand it a bit. Place in heel, punch holes where bolt holes are and then you are golden.

I’ve tried paper and aluminum foil, it worked ok. But I ended up buying the Stew Mac shims and it was much better. $8-$10 bucks, no regrets.

Old playing cards. You want to create a taper by either stacking smaller pieces on top of longer ones or by light sanding. They are fairly stable because they are usually plastic coated. You can stack multiples to get the angle you need, and securer them to each other with just a little bit of cyanoacrylic glue.

I got a business card from a guy that sold whiskey barrels that was made of wood. I saved it for like 5 years before I actually used it to shim a neck.

I've used the StewMac shims too. Be careful, they will split very easily. Are you sure there's nothing else you need from StewMac? I use it as a excuse to buy a tool or something.

Back