Similar to the SLO but...

I would agree the stock SLO circuit could use some added filtering in the PI and slight changes to a couple parts of the amp and it's great for metal. It's just has a little looser lead vib to it for the new detuned metal stuff. A couple of slight changes to the circuit and it sounds wicked in my opinion.

Meh. I A/B tested a clone I built against a real SLO. Side by side. Same room. Plug into one, plug into the other. They sounded identical.
Good for you. Oh yeah, you built a clone. Makes sense…I’ve never heard one that sounded identical. Close, but not identical. Very, very good, but not identical. Not saying it isn’t possible, but then again, this is only my opinion.

I didn't intend to do metal with the SLO. Hard Rock at the heaviest. With some simple mods, I have found the best solution for me. Upping the filtering on the preamp, lowering the gain slightly, and that's it. For what the amp costs, the SLO is just not worth it. I'd rather hot-rod a 2204/2203 circuit and be done with it... Which is exactly what I have done for myself... I'm kind of dumfounded on why someone would spend so much money on an amp that has so many pitfalls....

I also own a 50 watt Splawn Competition. I much prefer that amp over the SLO too... And, its less than half the price!
The beauty of the SLO for me is this: At volume, not many amps out there that can give the 3D swirl that it does. Wizards, C+s, SOME vintage Marshalls...some VHT stuff(D60). Turn it up and it gets unique IMO. Clarity is right up there with the best. I too thought it was a little mushy until I put a boost in front...then it sounded like a killer modded 2203, with the biggest power section I'd ever heard. Since then I've discovered Wizards, owned a C+ Coliseum and have my favorite amp, my 72 SuperTremolo so I've discovered more monster power sections but IMO the SLO deserves the accolades. It's easily a top 10, maybe top 5 amp for me.

Good for you. Oh yeah, you built a clone. Makes sense…I’ve never heard one that sounded identical. Close, but not identical. Very, very good, but not identical. Not saying it isn’t possible, but then again, this is only my opinion.
The few that I've played weren't even close. Like comedy show distant. Gimme a break. The HR100 I had would have wiped the floor with each of them.

I would agree the stock SLO circuit could use some added filtering in the PI and slight changes to a couple parts of the amp and it's great for metal. It's just has a little looser lead vib to it for the new detuned metal stuff. A couple of slight changes to the circuit and it sounds wicked in my opinion.
A good boost and it's very tight. Like a good boosted 2203 but better.

The few that I've played weren't even close. Like comedy show distant. Gimme a break. The HR100 I had would have wiped the floor with each of them.

I've also played some clones that didn't sound close. Comes down to how they were built. And for what it's worth, I don't really like the SLO. I just built one for the fun of it. That said, it's an iconic amp for a reason.

The beauty of the SLO for me is this: At volume, not many amps out there that can give the 3D swirl that it does. Wizards, C+s, SOME vintage Marshalls...some VHT stuff(D60). Turn it up and it gets unique IMO. Clarity is right up there with the best. I too thought it was a little mushy until I put a boost in front...then it sounded like a killer modded 2203, with the biggest power section I'd ever heard. Since then I've discovered Wizards, owned a C+ Coliseum and have my favorite amp, my 72 SuperTremolo so I've discovered more monster power sections but IMO the SLO deserves the accolades. It's easily a top 10, maybe top 5 amp for me.
That's a great way to describe the SLO, like a killer modded 2203. You nailed it, but, I have to say, it bothers me no end that you pay that kind of money for an amp and you need to boost it, the boost should be in the amp already IMO.

That's a great way to describe the SLO, like a killer modded 2203. You nailed it, but, I have to say, it bothers me no end that you pay that kind of money for an amp and you need to boost it, the boost should be in the amp already IMO.

The SLO is very much a modded 2203, most definitely. The boost thing is funny because there's no other amp out there that does it's magic without a boost, so it's a strange thing to require. There are plenty of amps, including the SLO, that have plenty of gain. The boost is there to modify what's coming from the guitar pickups, so rather than aim that comment at the amp, why not the pickups? But then, I like it unboosted part of the time, so I really need that switchable.

In the end, it's just another flavor. It's like EQ or Wah or Chorus. Sometimes I want them there, and sometimes I don't, so pedals are the perfect solution. In the end, it's all about the final product.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I don’t think the SLO sounds similar to a JCM 800 at all. To me, it sounds more like hybrid love child of a Hiwatt DR103 (glassy articulation), Mesa Mark (high, old school gain with thick pronounced mids), and a Fender 59 Bassman/Marshall JTM (saggy compression). I love JCM 800’s, too.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I don’t think the SLO sounds similar to a JCM 800 at all. To me, it sounds more like hybrid love child of a Hiwatt DR103 (glassy articulation), Mesa Mark (high, old school gain with thick pronounced mids), and a Fender 59 Bassman/Marshall JTM (saggy compression). I love JCM 800’s, too.
I agree, but I don't understand the "saggy" part. The backend of an SLO is so hi-fi. Maybe everyone is playing the gain up high, but I loved the lead channel of that amp with the gain on ~3.5. Lower the treble and get the presence up in the 7 range and it is so cool. As the NFB is lowered you get that interactive thing going.

But I'm not a high-gain guy. :)

I agree, but I don't understand the "saggy" part. The backend of an SLO is so hi-fi. Maybe everyone is playing the gain up high, but I loved the lead channel of that amp with the gain on ~3.5. Lower the treble and get the presence up in the 7 range and it is so cool. As the NFB is lowered you get that interactive thing going.

But I'm not a high-gain guy. :)
I don’t think I’m a high gain guy either. I run the gain on my SLO anywhere between 5.5 and 6.5, not super high. I boost the front with a Buxxom Boost. That tone is as high gain as I would need. The sag I’m talking about is the “brown” part of the tone. The squishy sag that’s almost like a tube rectified amp. That sag in the tone is why the SLO is more regarded as a rock amp than a metal one. That’s just my opinion though. The SLO isn’t the first amp I’d choose for tight palm muted metal. I love the SLO, but if I were playing metal, I’d either use a boosted JCM 800 or an early 5150. Both of those amps are superb for metal and more suited for it, imho, because of how tight they can get.

I don’t think I’m a high gain guy either. I run the gain on my SLO anywhere between 5.5 and 6.5, not super high. I boost the front with a Buxxom Boost. That tone is as high gain as I would need. The sag I’m talking about is the “brown” part of the tone. The squishy sag that’s almost like a tube rectified amp. That sag in the tone is why the SLO is more regarded as a rock amp than a metal one. That’s just my opinion though. The SLO isn’t the first amp I’d choose for tight palm muted metal. I love the SLO, but if I were playing metal, I’d either use a boosted JCM 800 or an early 5150. Both of those amps are superb for metal and more suited for it, imho, because of how tight they can get.

If I remember correctly, this entire show was recorded with SLOs. Or I think it was re-amped for the DVD:

That's funny you hear that cause that's the way I hear it as well. Not so much an 800, but Hiwatt, Bassman, Mesa. I've owned many SLO's from when they cost under 2K new.
Just got a new one and it sounds great. The surprise was the cab. Now rear-loaded w/ V-30's I think is a killer setup.

1627493793539.png

If I remember correctly, this entire show was recorded with SLOs. Or I think it was re-amped for the DVD:

To be clear, I’m in no way saying that SLOs can’t be used for metal. I can get mine to be what I consider pretty tight with the Buxxom boost. IIRC, that single KE did for Holy Diver is SLO.

That's funny you hear that cause that's the way I hear it as well. Not so much an 800, but Hiwatt, Bassman, Mesa. I've owned many SLO's from when they cost under 2K new.
Just got a new one and it sounds great. The surprise was the cab. Now rear-loaded w/ V-30's I think is a killer setup.

View attachment 84755
They were under 2k for a minute $1960.00 new. 1988-89

KSR Gemini or Colossus. Kyle started out building SLO clones and it shows in his amps. They're a little less hairy than a SLO, but still have that chunky goodness that makes your guitar sound huge. Kind of like if a SLO had more Mark series midrange and smoothness to my ears. A lot more versatile, too, with the modes on the Gemini.

Slaving my Gemini to my Axe 3 via a Fryette PS2, I can get it to sound very close to the SLO models in the Axe, both on the Crunch and the Lead modes.

To be clear, I’m in no way saying that SLOs can’t be used for metal. I can get mine to be what I consider pretty tight with the Buxxom boost. IIRC, that single KE did for Holy Diver is SLO.

Yeah the Holy Diver cover is SLO. You can really hear it in the solo.

Back