Single coil sized humbuckers

I recently bought an 80’s Charvel Model 1A and put a DiMarzio Super Distortion S in the bridge and a DiMarzio Air Norton S in the neck (forgot the middle). I loved the Air Norton S in the neck so much I bought 4 more of them and put in 4 off my Caparison Horus guitar necks.

Killer combo IMHO.

My favorite single coil sized hum in the bridge position (the only position I have ever tried single coil size hums) are the Dimarzio Fast Track I and II. The Tele bridge Fast Track is really nice too.

I would try that Duncan Red Devil. I’ve only heard it in video clips but it sounds more legit than most anything else I’ve heard. The mini Pearly Gates seems good too. I was going to use the Telecaster one in a build I’m going to do but honestly I like single coil Tele bridge pickups so much I decided against it.

I’ve never liked any of the Dimarzio ones I’ve tried.

I have had a SD hot rails in my MIM start since the 90s, always liked it and always had 250k pots. I did try the hot rails split at one point and it was awful, but I really like it with the coils in parallel.

so whatever mini humbucker you end up with, to me its worth adding a switch or push pull pot to be able to switch the coils to from series to parallel. My buddy has a JB Jr and it also sounded very good with the coils in parallel. If you end up with stacked single coils, then this doesn't really apply.

If you’re serious about single coil sized humbuckers I’d just get the vintage Bill Lawrence L250’s or 220’s and avoid the rest of the garbage trying to achieve this. They are the needle in the haystack of single coil sized humbuckers that are legit

Back