SL68?

Sorry for a double post, but I thought I'd ask it here too. Does anyone have experience with the SL68? Thoughts? Any comparisons with similar amps like the Metro Plexi, Mojave, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
 

Nico

Active member
I also would like to know how it compares with the Metro 12 000 & with the Metro-Friedman.
 

Vanlaing5150

New member
I'm pretty sure in another thread, maybe even on another board, John mentioned that the SL68 doesn't come with an effects loop. I get what they are going for, but honestly in this day in age - if I ever get the coin together to do the SL68 I might just beg, borrow and get John some tickets to the sport of his choice with his brew of choice to get an FX loop on that mutha.
 

Suhr

Member
Vanlaing5150":ujfi6uao said:
I'm pretty sure in another thread, maybe even on another board, John mentioned that the SL68 doesn't come with an effects loop. I get what they are going for, but honestly in this day in age - if I ever get the coin together to do the SL68 I might just beg, borrow and get John some tickets to the sport of his choice with his brew of choice to get an FX loop on that mutha.
I can put a loop in but it really isn't the right amp to do it with unless you wont crank the amp (kind of defeats the reason to have this amp). You really don't want to distort your effects.
 

Vanlaing5150

New member
Hey John - totally hear what you are saying. So in my current rig, I run everything through a Bradshaw switcher and that has an amp input as well as efx send and return with go to the Amp - Currently a CAA OD100. With an SL86, would a power amp go inbetween or would the rig need some modification to work with the amp
 

Suhr

Member
Vanlaing5150":k7aedium said:
Hey John - totally hear what you are saying. So in my current rig, I run everything through a Bradshaw switcher and that has an amp input as well as efx send and return with go to the Amp - Currently a CAA OD100. With an SL86, would a power amp go inbetween or would the rig need some modification to work with the amp
What I would do is get a Torpedo Live and use that as a reactive load then a line out to go in to your Rig.
You could also use that to record direct silent and run compensated and IR' signals to the board if you want
 

jamme61

Member
I'd like to know more about the master volume, on this amp. how well can I control the volume of this amp. I had a plexi for years and that's always the rub. These amps sound fantastic at volume but how does Suhr's master sound? Even at gigs, it's tough to control the volume of these beasts.
 

bonedarrell

Active member
King Guitar":3hdycqfp said:
We just sold one a SL68 to Darrell here on the board I am sure he will chime in with his thoughts.

I can barely stop playing this baby enough to chime in!! Perfect plexi tone IMO! The MV works great.....real plexi tones at controlled volume......impossible?? Not now!
 

FIREBALL

New member
bonedarrell":2wqr1bb6 said:
King Guitar":2wqr1bb6 said:
We just sold one a SL68 to Darrell here on the board I am sure he will chime in with his thoughts.

I can barely stop playing this baby enough to chime in!! Perfect plexi tone IMO! The MV works great.....real plexi tones at controlled volume......impossible?? Not now!
ive been waiting to hear an amp do that :rock:
 

jamme61

Member
volume? I know its not made to be played at bedroom volumes but how do you control gig volumes? how does it sound with the master?
 

bonedarrell

Active member
jamme61":1htryuf7 said:
volume? I know its not made to be played at bedroom volumes but how do you control gig volumes? how does it sound with the master?

Haven't gigged with it yet, but it is working great during rehearsals so far. The MV works great! I wouldn't have ever thought so with a plexi.
 

jamme61

Member
bonedarrell":36fbhmxg said:
jamme61":36fbhmxg said:
volume? I know its not made to be played at bedroom volumes but how do you control gig volumes? how does it sound with the master?

Haven't gigged with it yet, but it is working great during rehearsals so far. The MV works great! I wouldn't have ever thought so with a plexi.

once you get your sound with the master, will it still clean up with the guitar volume? Do you know what type master is on this amp.
Thanks
 

bonedarrell

Active member
jamme61":2atvmqk8 said:
bonedarrell":2atvmqk8 said:
jamme61":2atvmqk8 said:
volume? I know its not made to be played at bedroom volumes but how do you control gig volumes? how does it sound with the master?

Haven't gigged with it yet, but it is working great during rehearsals so far. The MV works great! I wouldn't have ever thought so with a plexi.

once you get your sound with the master, will it still clean up with the guitar volume? Do you know what type master is on this amp.
Thanks

Yes, it still cleans up w/the guitar volume nicely. I am fairly certain it is a PPIMV.
 

Nico

Active member
This looks like a killer amp!!!

I am afraid of the master volume. I have never tried a single amp with a MV on these circuits that sounds good. Same goes for the effects loop (Which this fortunately doesn't have)

Can the SL68 be ordered without the master volume?
 

bonedarrell

Active member
Nico":4twsqns9 said:
This looks like a killer amp!!!

I am afraid of the master volume. I have never tried a single amp with a MV on these circuits that sounds good. Same goes for the effects loop (Which this fortunately doesn't have)

Can the SL68 be ordered without the master volume?

Just don't use the MV. Somebody from Suhr can correct me If I'm wrong, but the MV should be defeated when it is all the way up.
 

Suhr

Member
Nico":10mamj8c said:
This looks like a killer amp!!!

I am afraid of the master volume. I have never tried a single amp with a MV on these circuits that sounds good. Same goes for the effects loop (Which this fortunately doesn't have)

Can the SL68 be ordered without the master volume?

Don't fear with the Master on 10 it is 100% out of the picture.
Plus in the low power mode it is less than 50w
It is very controllable on stage
 
Top