SmallBox tone setting revelation!!

I still don't get why people think SS is in the same category as Warren, EVH or any of the greats from the 80's :ROFLMAO:
Who the fuck said that, and how does it even apply to what we're talking about? Great player though, I've heard some pretty far out alternate picking and picking chops from Steve that neither of them could do, great players that they are...., he's got his own style(and has produced some killer tones, and experimental effects timbres through the years that still hold up)...I'll give you that.

Last edited:
Who the fuck said that, and how does it even apply to what we're talking about? Great player though, I've heard some pretty far out alternate picking and picking chops from Steve that neither of them could do, great players that they are...., he's got his own style(and has produced some killer tones, and experimental effects timbres through the years that still hold up)...I'll give you that.
Every time his name comes up it's mentioned like he is in those same circle of 80's shredders. when Idol came on MTV in the 80's it was a hard pass. Mute till Maiden Rush or Dio came back on

Bang on!

Every time his name comes up it's mentioned like he is in those same circle of 80's shredders. when Idol came on MTV in the 80's it was a hard pass. Mute till Maiden Rush or Dio came back on

Bang on!
Steve is kind of a unique case as he is one of those rare guitarists that dabbles in many genres but manages to do it successfully and is very experimental, Billy Idol is just a crazy amalgamation of many styles ....I'd pass most Billy Idol for Maiden or Dio too back then(and now!), but his playing on Rebel Yell, and Later on Vince Neil's Exposed, some of his solo and soundtrack work are fuckin' awesome if you're a fan of great guitar playing...dude can shred with the best of them(not at Becker, Yng, TMac levels), he's a great player and has some bad ass tones and rigs...generally he was always well respected by fans of over the top guitar/metal.......He's mentioned in those circles because he was a guitar hero back then, graced the guitar mags of the day...he definitely had work in hard rock/metal genres. I respect the dude, and I bet Ed did, and bet Warren does too and rightfully so, he's a great player with a unique style that refuses to be boxed in....good for him!

But all of that is really beside the point.....There's nothing wrong with cranking the bass on these amps as many pros do it with their Friedmans, they don't have excessive low end in the preamp.....most people will adjust for the venue/playing situation anyway.

All fuckin' day!:

Last edited:
Steve is kind of a unique case as he is one of those rare guitarists that dabbles in many genres but manages to do it successfully and is very experimental, Billy Idol is just a crazy amalgamation of many styles ....I'd pass most Billy Idol for Maiden or Dio too back then(and now!), but his playing on Rebel Yell, and Later on Vince Neil's Exposed, some of his solo and soundtrack work are fuckin' awesome if you're a fan of great guitar playing...dude can shred with the best of them(not at Becker, Yng, TMac levels), he's a great player and has some bad ass tones and rigs...generally he was always well respected by fans of over the top guitar/metal.......He's mentioned in those circles because he was a guitar hero back then, graced the guitar mags of the day...he definitely had work in hard rock/metal genres. I respect the dude, and I bet Ed did, and bet Warren does too and rightfully so, he's a great player with a unique style that refuses to be boxed in....good for him!

But all of that is really beside the point.....There's nothing wrong with cranking the bass on these amps as many pros do it with their Friedmans, they don't have excessive low end in the preamp.....most people will adjust for the venue/playing situation anyway.

Thanks for sharing i will check it out, never knew he played on Vince solo stuff!

Steve is kind of a unique case as he is one of those rare guitarists that dabbles in many genres but manages to do it successfully and is very experimental, Billy Idol is just a crazy amalgamation of many styles ....I'd pass most Billy Idol for Maiden or Dio too back then(and now!), but his playing on Rebel Yell, and Later on Vince Neil's Exposed, some of his solo and soundtrack work are fuckin' awesome if you're a fan of great guitar playing...
His solo album The Atomic Playboys from '89 is an AMAZING guitar album. Not a fan of Billy Idol as much as I am of Steve Stevens. He is a true guitar monster. He's even got some Flemenco albums and one with Michaerl Monroe... also one with Tony Levin that is really good. Check it out!

His solo album The Atomic Playboys from '89 is an AMAZING guitar album. Not a fan of Billy Idol as much as I am of Steve Stevens. He is a true guitar monster. He's even got some Flemenco albums and one with Michaerl Monroe... also one with Tony Levin that is really good. Check it out!
I LOVE a lot of Rebel Yell(Flesh For Fantasy, Daytime Drama, Eyes without A Face, Dead Next Door, Rebel Yell), but it pretty much ends there for Idol...., Definitely (Atomic Playboys), he is indeed (y)
IMG_8045.JPG

Thanks for sharing i will check it out, never knew he played on Vince solo stuff!
NP, most of the time you're hearing the album and thinking man this is much more complex than what you were used to hearing from him in Crue...he should have kept this band!!....GREAT guitar work and awesome guitar tones on this album, cool riffs and solos....some great tracks on there!

Remember Encino Man? :)

Last edited:
Back