So how are the import EVH bumble bee guitars?

Fusionbear

Just curious about the quality, tone, etc... I'm building a simple EVH rig and would love a bumble bee replica of some sort...

Pros, cons?

I bought one back in 14 when they were 699, I think? Other than the sharp fret ends it was a solid guitar, decent tone and the Floyd 1000(I think that’s the model) stayed in tune fine. To me it was a step down from the MiJ Charvels of 2011 but better than the newer MiM Charvels at the time. Which is weird since the EVH is also MiM.

IMO. They’re good guitars. Its got good tone…nice pickups etc. I’d not buy one new unless it was a smokin deal.

I’ve had two, the 5150 series (I still own) and a circles series (I reluctantly sold). Never had an issue with either. Fret ends will likely be sharp once cold weather hits. You can handle that though.

Last edited:
I had a 2019 model for a while that was really good. The only thing I noticed was the fine tuners were hard to turn and had an overall gritty feel to them. I replaced the origina bridge with a Gotoh Floyd and the guitar was near great. Great neck. Pickup sounded great. YMMV.

I have one. Killer neck profile. That was the feel I always wanted when I was growing up, but never really found. It was cool to finally grab one at a pretty fair price. I put a Pariah pickup in there.

Can you get the action low with the flush mount Floyd?

I've been wanting a Striped or Wolfgang, but last WG I bought was a lemon.

I can't stand the WG's. Looks like a bloated egg to me.....lol...

Never been a fan of Ed's endorsements per say but i gotta admit i was blown away with this Indonesian Wolfgang Standard.
CNC is in spec to the nitty gritty and for $700 bucks this guitar destroys many at that price point.
Also was never a fan of maple FB's but i am now.
Basswood body 1/4 inch maple cap/flame maple veneer.
Impecable workmanship. Seems Ed made regular visits to the factory in Asia.
Stainless steel frets & Wolfgang pups standard.
Double carbon fiber truss rods.

Last edited:
Can you get the action low with the flush mount Floyd?

I've been wanting a Striped or Wolfgang, but last WG I bought was a lemon.
??
You can EASILY get nice low action with a flush mount Floyd...as long as you are dealing with a bolt on neck. It's all about the neck angle/height. If you need to shim the neck, easy peasy.
Neck throughs/set necks, you are stuck with what you have.

Never been a fan of Ed's endorsements per say but i gotta admit i was blown away with this Indonesian Wolfgang Standard.
CNC is in spec to the nitty gritty and for $700 bucks this guitar destroys many at that price point.
Also was never a fan of maple FB's but i am now.
Basswood body 1/4 inch maple cap/flame maple veneer.
Impecable workmanship. Seems Ed made regular visits to the factory in Asia.
Double carbon fiber truss rods.
Don't think you get SS frets on the Standard.

I had one and it was a cool guitar to play. It was more a trophy guitar rather than anything else so I sold it. The pickups in it are perfect for a basswood bodied guitar. I have a Frankie relic now that's a hoot to play. I liked it better than the recent MIM Charvels. The Bumblebee is my favorite color combo.

Don't pay full price. You can find someone that will sell one at a good price.

Definitely no stainless steel frets on that guitar...

Stainless was on those Japanese & Chinese made EVH Wolfgang guitars from 10 years ago or so. Otherwise, only the EVH USA Wolfgangs have stainless frets.

Yes SS frets on this model is my understanding. I dug deep before i bought the guitar.
This guitar is no longer in production since Ed's passing.

People also ask​

Do EVH guitars have stainless steel frets?

The frets are stainless steel and won't wear out.

Last edited:
Yes SS frets on this model is my understanding. I dug deep before i bought the guitar.
This guitar is no longer in production since Ed's passing.

People also ask​

Do EVH guitars have stainless steel frets?

The frets are stainless steel and won't wear out.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WGStdQTN--evh-wolfgang-standard-qm-tahiti-night
These Indonesian Wolfgang Standards for $699.99 are definitely still in production. Click the Sweetwater link. This is your exact guitar, but in a different color with a baked maple neck.

It clearly say in the specs: Number of Frets 22, Jumbo Nickel.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WGStdQTN--evh-wolfgang-standard-qm-tahiti-night
These Indonesian Wolfgang Standards for $699.99 are definitely still in production. Click the Sweetwater link. This is your exact guitar, but in a different color with a baked maple neck.

It clearly say in the specs: Number of Frets 22, Jumbo Nickel.
Different year/different finish. Like i said they don't make mine anymore.
One could argue they're all Wolfgangs but i had no trouble finding out in 2019 my frets were stainless.
Don't know what the big deal is.
I'll be sure to list them as nickel silver for you if i ever go to sell lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVH_Wolfgang
Mine also has the Bourns 500K & 250K pots as listed above.
Not trying to start a fret war but there's a difference in my WG frets and all my other guitars.
I couldn't tell you what Fender is making in Indonesia now.
Mine did come with the FR Special which is lower budget but i put an oversize brass block on and it seems to do just fine.

Last edited:
Back