So I finally pulled the trigger on a Kemper... (Clips)

could you recommend some good irs for a friedman and vh4 respectively. i like Mesa oversized for the vh4 and a v30 or v30 with creamback mix or even v30 with greenbacks for the friedman. Im now running the amps into suhr reactive load then into the kemper as an ir loader. reason is that i have good irs from lasser lammert of a mesa and bogner cab that came with his stl packs that i cant export and run into my two note ir loader. I play alot of tool/mastodon/chevelle
I love the heavy hitters 1 packet from Ownhammer but I can share some of mine too. Give me a couple of days and message me!

could you recommend some good irs for a friedman and vh4 respectively. i like Mesa oversized for the vh4 and a v30 or v30 with creamback mix or even v30 with greenbacks for the friedman. Im now running the amps into suhr reactive load then into the kemper as an ir loader. reason is that i have good irs from lasser lammert of a mesa and bogner cab that came with his stl packs that i cant export and run into my two note ir loader. I play alot of tool/mastodon/chevelle
I love the heavy hitters 1 packet from Ownhammer but I can share some of mine too. Give me a couple of days and message me
Congrats on your purchase. :cheers:

HNKD

Clips sound great :yes:
Much appreciated bro! ❤️

I hate to be this guy (I hate myself), but IS there any difference between a kemper and something like a modeler? Doesn’t it just serve the same function as a computer loading a modeler?
It serves the same function in that you're loading presets / Rigs / amp models in both cases.

The big difference?

Modelling usually involves the creation of mathematical models of each of the components in an amp's signal path (internally) and combining them for the final result. This is generally known as the component-modelling approach, and is AFAIK the most-common. The various parameters the user can adjust act on those individual bits of code, affecting the sound overall.

Profiling captures the sound of an amp at a given setting. It can be the amp alone or through a cab (using a mic and even a mic pre if necessary / desired). The number of parameters available for tweaking after-the-fact, therefore, is smaller because all those individual components weren't modelled. That said, the Kemper offers a surprising array of choices for tone tweaking.

Summing up, modelling is something a company does and you get to tweak the parameters on offer.
Profiling is something anyone can do and you get to tweak a lesser number of parameters, but starting with an "authentic" snapshot of an amp -> cab -> mic setup.

To build off of the hairy primate......

To be clear, the Kemper includes a number of BASE MODELS.
(these are not user accessable or 'playable' by themselves)

I'm not sure if they are based on any actual amps or not,
but they serve as the foundation for a profile.

This part I'm not guessing:

When you run a profile the Kemper does a DNA check on the amp being profiled.
It then chooses which of its base models is closest to the amplifier and then 'models'
on top of the foundation based on the profiled amp's particulars.

This part I'm guessing:

I figure that base models are along the lines of clean, crunch, hi-gain and then things like
tight or loose response, etc.

There are certain amp designs that do not profile well because they have really unique gain staging
that none of the base models can duplicate, so it compromises in these cases.

Last edited:
Kemper is awesome. I went back to a live rehearsal this week and I kind of wanted to bring my tube amp, but the thought was overwhelming with all the gear i would need, carrying down from the 2nd floor etc. With the powered Kemper +remote + Kab, I brought my whole rig in one easy trip. Sounded awesome too and setup is like 60 seconds.

There are certain amp designs that do not profile well because they have really unique gain staging
that none of the base models can duplicate, so it compromises in these cases.
I’ve heard this before. Can you/anyone give examples of amps that aren’t good candidates for profiling?

So are the SLO profiles representative of the amp? That’s one of those amps that appears to be magic (arguably)

I’ve heard this before. Can you/anyone give examples of amps that aren’t good candidates for profiling?
I have heard the Randall Satan was a bitch to profile but I had some profiles that seemed fine although I have never played one IRL.

@ultimatemetalguitartones you need to get a QC . You have had some amps here recently that I would have loved to have a capture of. I know you already have a mark iv but Sinmix had a killer mark iv Kemper pack. I plugged into my mark for the first time in awhile and I have to say I haven't found a capture yet for the QC that I feel is close.

Back