So... I played a Suhr Modern today...

ruso

I recently unloaded some gear and figured it's time to pick up a new guitar. With the high concentration of NGD posts on this forum of people acquiring Suhrs, I decided to see what the fuss was all about. I've been looking at the Modern and with it's limitless combination of woods, neck shapes and finishes, I've been having trouble figuring out where to start. The closest Suhr dealer is about 1-1/2 hour from home so the wife and I decided to take a little road trip to Pittsburgh today. Before we left, I called the guys at Pianos 'N' Stuff Music to see what they had in stock. It turns out that they had a Modern, Standard, and Classic, as well as a few Classic Ts in stock. So we hopped into the car and we were off.

When we arrived I immediately had one of the employees grab the Modern off the wall for me to try out. I fired up a Mesa Boogie Roadster that was connected to a 4x12 Recto cab with V30s and plugged her in. Immediately, I was in love! Never have I played a guitar that has put such a smile on my face. The craftsmanship, fit, and finish on this guitar is absolutely amazing. The fretwork is flawless, and the finish on the neck is the best I've every played. Running it through the clean channel, of the Roadster I was just floored how complex the tone was. Lows were really punchy, mids were tight and snappy, and the highs were sparkly and clean... everything was balanced. I switched the amp to the modern channel and cranked up the gain. This guitar is insane! I'm sure you are all familiar of how thick and muddy a Recto can get, but even with an absurd amount of gain dialed in on the amp, the Modern remained clear and articulate. Every note was audible and not once did it sound muddy. I'm surer this could have a lot to do with the pickups as well as the choice of woods. My wife even compliments on how "clear" it sounded. And that was while running through the Roadster!

The Modern I played was a Bahama Blue quilted maple top with basswood body, and modern elliptical maple neck with maple fretboard and stainless frets. It had the Gotoho Flyod and aldridge pickups. It is a very comfortable player and is truely a work of art! This is the exact guitar that I played, which happens to be the exact guitar shown on the Suhr website:

modern.jpg

I also played a transparent white classic for a few minutes, but they were getting ready to close so i didn't have enough time for a full evaluation and review. In closing, I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with the Modern. Having recently owned a Music Man Petrucci (Music Man's version of a super strat), I must say that John Suhr's Modern isn't even in the same league. I've played hundreds of guitars ranging from Ibanez (been an Ibanez player for over 15 years) to Gibson to PRS, and I believe that this is hands down the best guitar I have ever played. I still want to check out some of the different necks and configurations that are available, but I think I have already made my decision... I will be ordering one of these really soon!

So, now the question is... Ed or John, how should I go about ordering one and what is the current lead time to have one built?

Thanks for the post. Glad to know that you enjoyed the experience of trying out a Modern.

Please place the order through Jason at Pianos N' Stuff as he is very knowledgeable about our products and is a big fan of our guitars. If you have any questions regarding the specs, please feel free to call us and speak to me, Neil or John himself. We'd be happy to help you out. But Jason should be able to answer any questions as well since PNS has been a Suhr dealer from the very early days. Very nice guy as well.

The lead-time right now is around 4 months. We seem to be holding up against the economic storm as orders have actually been coming in at a record pace over the past couple of months.

ruso":3be5p5tj said:
This is the exact guitar that I played, which happens to be the exact guitar shown on the Suhr website:

That's one of the things I love about the Suhr website....they put ALL of the guitars on there! So you can see high-res pics of every guitar rolling out the door.

Ed Yoon":1jgdbsja said:
The lead-time right now is around 4 months. We seem to be holding up against the economic storm as orders have actually been coming in at a record pace over the past couple of months.

That is because you make great guitars, amps and accessories, and are great at customer service. You guys have a winning formula for Suhr. That Bahama Blue is really sweet. I like the moderns a little as well. ;)

I completely agree with you. I unloaded my Music Man Petrucci to get my first Suhr and it was one of the best gear decisions I have ever made. Its no contest. The Suhr is better is every way to me.

Stay away from that guitar, its mine!.... :gethim:

Nah just kidding, I did get a chance to play that guitar at that particular store and thought it was amazing. I agree with everything you said. I liked the standard a little more cause it just fit my hand a little better. You should buy it. :D For the longest time i thought why in the hell would somebody pay that much for a guitar....Now I know to say the least. When i get out of school and get me a job i know the first thing I'm spending my money on. I wouldn't mind getting one of each model.

dan

dan770":39tz06ui said:
Nah just kidding, I did get a chance to play that guitar at that particular store and thought it was amazing. I agree with everything you said. I liked the standard a little more cause it just fit my hand a little better. You should buy it. :D For the longest time i thought why in the hell would somebody pay that much for a guitar....Now I know to say the least. When i get out of school and get me a job i know the first thing I'm spending my money on. I wouldn't mind getting one of each model.

dan

Honestly, I love everything about that guitar except for the color, the top, and the trem. If I'm going to drop the coin down on a guitar like that, I'll go with a more contemporary finish like trans black or one of the bursts. It looks really good, especially in person, but I need something that will still look modern in about 10 years. The trem will most likely be a non-routed 510. I never use the Floyd-style bridges on any of my guitars. Although I really like the top on that particular guitar, I only like about 3/4 of it. The folds start to get a little weird towards the edges. I know I'm picky but if I order it, this will be my #1.

Too many choices for someone so obsessive compulsive such as myself. :doh:

yes, i agree, too many choices. I think my first suhr purchase will be the hardest, long, drawn out, decision i will ever make.

ruso":1735y7so said:
dan770":1735y7so said:

dan

Honestly, I love everything about that guitar except for the color, the top, and the trem. If I'm going to drop the coin down on a guitar like that, I'll go with a more contemporary finish like trans black or one of the bursts. It looks really good, especially in person, but I need something that will still look modern in about 10 years. The trem will most likely be a non-routed 510. I never use the Floyd-style bridges on any of my guitars. Although I really like the top on that particular guitar, I only like about 3/4 of it. The folds start to get a little weird towards the edges. I know I'm picky but if I order it, this will be my #1.

Too many choices for someone so obsessive compulsive such as myself. :doh:

I say spec on out to your specifications and it will probably close to the price that is on display, considering similar options though :thumbsup: Can't go wrong with doing it that way

ratter":2v37mpvx said:
ruso":2v37mpvx said:
This is the exact guitar that I played, which happens to be the exact guitar shown on the Suhr website:

That's one of the things I love about the Suhr website....they put ALL of the guitars on there! So you can see high-res pics of every guitar rolling out the door.

I don't believe they actually photograph every single one though. Ed please correct me if I'm wrong.

dfrattaroli":3eup9zwo said:
ratter":3eup9zwo said:
ruso":3eup9zwo said:

I don't believe they actually photograph every single one though. Ed please correct me if I'm wrong.

We try to put every guitar up there, but it seems we do miss some here and there - not more than a few a month.

Back