So, what high gain pedals are the real deal?

Spaceboy":2mgxfwa6 said:
Oblivion DC":2mgxfwa6 said:
I think you might really like the Atomic Amps Ampli-Firebox. It’s a small sized pedal that holds 9 amp types and will let you load IR’s. Also has multiple boosts, delay, reverb, eq, multiple outs - xlr for FOH and 1/4” to send out to an amp loop return. Allows you to include the IR to the xlr out only, or to the 1/4” out only or both. Sounds pretty damn good.
I typed out a dumb response about how I have learned that I'm not a modeler guy, and owned all the big boys in that field, before realizing this Amplifier-Firebox was totally different product than the Amplifier. I am a neanderthal and with modelers, I will lose myself in endless tweaking even after I had something sounding great. This little box looks like it has some limitations compared to the big Amplifier, which is a good thing, because I can find the preset or two that I need and just play the damn thing instead of diving into software parameters. I will check this out, I've heard good things from the Amplifier and I assume it's based on the same modeling software.

Thanks! :rock:

The limitations are what make it usable for me cause I’m not a modeling guy either. It’s an excellent backup option but I’ve started using it with Reaper and EZDrummer to get song ideas down.

I use a Dirty Shirley pedal. Fantastic! I use this for my pedalboard to tube amp return where we rehearse as they have a half stack in each room. I turned the internal trim pot a bit higher and love this pedal!

I went on a major pedal binge over the past 6 months or so. The Lovepedal Purple Plexi and Lovepedal Jubilee came out on top. The MI Audio Super Crunch Box v2 is excellent as well, and is extremely versatile. At home I’ve been playing through these pedals more often than using my amp gain channels because they sound better at low volume than the tube gain channels do!

Spaceboy":10f74z83 said:
I've had a couple Menatone pedals before, and always regretted selling my Red Snapper. Does The King get into that hotrodded JCM800 territory? I never fully checked it out, assumed it was more vintage-flavored.

I've been checking out demos of the Amptweaker pedals. They all seem to have this certain buzz to them. The BigRock Pro looks incredible, but still has that character in everything I've heard. It certainly seems amp-like and with a 3-band EQ could probably do well with any clean channel. The BE-OD seems cool, but needs more mids, and has less tweakability than the Amptweaker.

Yes, both (Purple Plexi and the King both do)..I think Menatone has another higher gain offering as well. To my ear you can ear the difference in these pedals with other AIAB types. Another one to check out is that Custom Tones TWE-1 (trainwreck circuit)..losts of gain and very touch responsive if you have advance improvisation skills beyond scale 'y playing styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac1NdFvHcU4

chondroguitars":csbyss4f said:
Wamplers Triple Wreck, and Dracarys are killer good high gain pedals. Bogner Red and Blue, as well as the Diezel VH4 pedal. The Bogner and the Diezel are very amp like.
I love the Triple Wreck - it really does nail the recto sounds, and it can do others, too, with the switch.

The Dracarys is the most impressive modern gain pedal I have ever used. It can turn any amp into a firebreather. Mine is never going anywhere.

I have a BE-OD, and while it is great with the right amp, it is a one trick pony. With a Marshally amp, it is one helluva nice pony. If the amp on your backline isn't the right one, the Friedman might not fit for you. I find it works great with my Marshall type amp, but with my Mesa or Fender clean channels, I don't dig it that much.

I think you would dig the Amptweaker Tight Metal. I just got one last week (along with their Tight Rock, which gets surpisingly dirty). The Tight Metal has all kinds of voicings inside, so I think it is probably the most versatile high gain distortion I have tried (and I think I've tried them all, and owned most of them). It has a built-in noise gate, too. I suggest you give that one a serious consideration.

Good luck! The journey is half the fun :rock:

I only have experience with Blackstar HT pedals. I used to run them into the clean channel of a Carvin Legacy. I liked them better than the Legacy dirt channel.

I do not have a ton of distortion pedal experience. I started with a Marshall Shred Master and I preferred it to anything else I've tried. A Visual Sound/True Tone has a similar circuit in their Jekyll and Hyde pedal. That also has a tube screamer built in. The newest version lets you pick what order they pedals stack. Pretty slick and worth checking out.

The VH4 pedal is the most impressive distortion pedal I have ever had, if you are looking for amp in a box, imo it does it better than anything. The Dirty shirley is probably my 2nd favorite distortion pedal and if you put a buxom boost in front you can dial it in like a mid gain amp and use the bb for the rest. Both are great. I had trouble bonding with the BEod using it on different amps. But I have recently found some settings that I like really well. I dont think you can go wrong with any of these but they do different things so it depends what you are after... These have stayed vs. the earthquakers, bogners, TS, keeley, fulltone etc. that have all gone.

I have Bogner Blue, Be OD, VH4 , Bogner LaGrange and Soldano GTO

VH4 is very impressive and sounds much like a real amp. Can get very aggressive but not really a Marshall type sound
Bogner Blue. sounds pretty good but there is funny hollowness to the tone.
Bogner La Grange. Extremely versatile and is the best MIAB I have ever tried
Soldano GTO. a bit noisey but sounds very natural. Closest thing to an SLO in a pedal money can buy
Friedman Be OD. Meh. sounds like a distortion box of decent quality but nothing great.

Ones I have had good experiences with

Carl Martin Plexitone
Hughes & Kettner Warp Drive

Back