So where is the Theory 101 class?

Boatman, all it takes is to stop posting 33 times a day at HC and hit the threads and books.

Ed's first thread and what Adam said to slow it down is all you need to start out.

3 months and you will be able to do a jam with no problems if you just set out to do it.

dit-to :) All I do is mash mah fingers up on teh tiny strings and go, "meedly meedly meedly mahEEEEEEwrerrrrrnggggghhh" :)

mJ

You guys ask for Theory 101 but don't state what you want to learn about. There are so many aspects and forms of theory that it could take a lifetime to learn everything out there. You wanna start leaning scales, how to read music, learning chords, figuring out what you're playing or what?

Personally, I can play some solos, I can play some scales, but I don't know SQUAT about the technical side of things. I don't know what's what, I don't know much more than a complete beginner in that aspect. I'm the type of person that learned to play guitar simply by listening and watching guys I like, figuring it out/checking the tabs, etc.

mJ

Code001":bdf32 said:
You guys ask for Theory 101 but don't state what you want to learn about. There are so many aspects and forms of theory that it could take a lifetime to learn everything out there. You wanna start leaning scales, how to read music, learning chords, figuring out what you're playing or what?

I guess my issue is figuring out what I'm playing. I have the Guitar Grimoire books and I have been able to figure out most of the time what I'm doing, but I just need a better way to understand it. I know chords and I know most of the scales, but I tend to get lost in modes for some reason. I know how to read music, but I need to really practice that because it takes me forever to figure out what a chord is when I see it on a staff.

4nkam":f11f9 said:
Personally, I can play some solos, I can play some scales, but I don't know SQUAT about the technical side of things. I don't know what's what, I don't know much more than a complete beginner in that aspect. I'm the type of person that learned to play guitar simply by listening and watching guys I like, figuring it out/checking the tabs, etc.

mJ

Theory is not just about solos, rhythm playing can also benefit from theory knowledge.

Even the famed Metallica E-F progression has theory to it :)

I'm assuming those of you that are looking for theory 101 really do know very little.
I like to stick to a guideline of not teaching anything unless it's a few steps below my knowledge, but i can offer very basic stuff explained simply, the way it's been taught to me.
Hopefully someone will watch out for any innaccuracies in my explanations, especially since most of my theory learning has been done in french (some terminology may be off)

The major scale:
Essential to an understanding of western music.
The major scale is based off a pattern of Whole-whole-half-whole-whole-whole-half.
starting on C:
C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C(octave)

each note of the scale is identified as a degree
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

1 is the root note, 8 is the octave.

Minor Scales

For every major key, there is a relative minor. The relative minor key's root is the sixth note (6) of hte major scale

C major ---> A minor
G major ---> E minor

(and so on)

In western classical theory, the most important minor scale for an instrumentalist to learn is the harmonic minor.

whole-half-whole-whole-half-one and a half-hald

The following alterations are made to the basic major scale pattern:
1-2-3b-4-5-6b-7-8

Note that the only change in notes between the harmonic minor scale and it's relative major is the alteration of the minor scale's 7th : it is sharp

example:
C major : C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
A harmonic minor : A-B-C-D-E-F-G#-A
the harmonic minor scale begins on the 6th of it's relative major and includes a full eight note, with only the 7th (G in this case) altered.

The natural minor

whole-half-whole-whole-half-whole-whole

The natural minor scale follows the following pattern:
1-2-3b-4-5-6b-7b-8

It does look more complex to construct than the harmonic minor when viewed this way.
But notice that those alterations lead to the following scale
A natural minor: A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A
compare to C major and you will see that the two contain the same notes.

4nkam":35a41 said:

mJ

That is EXACTLY where Im at.

Back