Soldano depth mod

It's wired up like this.

The board NFB wire on the left lug of the pot is already present in the amp, and is connected to one of the impedance taps on the OHMS selector, or on the speaker jack. Install the pot and cap, move the NFB wire from the ohms selector to the left lug of the pot, and install a short wire as shown from the pot to the location where you removed the left wire from on the impedance selector.

I've owned both a HOT Rod 25 and an SLO100. The SLO came with a depth mod, and I installed one in the HR25. It sucked donkey balls in both amps and I removed it. On both amps, once they were at volume, adjusting the bass with the bass control sounded much better and tighter than turning the bass down and using the depth pot.
For low level home playing I can maybe see a use for the depth mod, but at band volume, both amps sounded better with it turned off and the bass control at about 6.

At a minimum, be prepared to mess with the cap value to get what you want. Mike always put .0047uf in the SLO's when he did the mod, but you may prefer a different value ( .0068uf or .0022uf for example ) . There are no rules.....

.0068uf moves the boost frequency lower, almost like sub-bass, and going up to .0033uf or .0022uf will start to add lower mids along with the bass boost.

Also note that the effect is cabinet and speaker dependent, as you are un-damping the speakers at low frequency. Speaker resonant frequency and cab geometry will play a large part in the end result, and may be why I hated it and some guys love it :dunno:

Attachments

• Resonance graphic.PNG
    Resonance graphic.PNG
    57.2 KB · Views: 836
FusedBrain is spot on. I have an Avenger. Had a Slo also. The depth mod is superfluous unless you are playing at or under around 80 dbs. The way Soldano designed his amps, is that gain and volume both increase the low end

Back