Soldano SLO 100 vs Marshall 2203 Boosted with Duality DX Red

While I appreciate you taking the time and effort to post, I can't tell much from that. o_O
If the point was to demonstrate that they both can sound like a flubby hot mess, I guess it was a success.
Awesome! :ROFLMAO:
I Prefer the SLO. Yeah the IPhone Clip isn't ideal but i get it. Also, Are you in Drop B?
I'm in A standard.
My findings: Crunch is basically an american, tamed sounding 2203 with an added depth control.
Lead on it's own is flubby, farty ,loose, has not enough sustain and doesn't like boosts at all.
It's hard to tell from the phone clip, it's pretty washed out, but I *think* I prefer the SLO
It is punchy, but also quite boring. I have too fight with the 2203 all the time, but it's somehow more rewarding and exciting, besides all the fustration, that comes with it often. It has corners and edges (do you say that in english?) Somedays it sounds like shit, while it can also be glorious on others. Shit in=shit out.

Awesome! :ROFLMAO:

I'm in A standard.
My findings: Crunch is basically an american, tamed sounding 2203 with an added depth control.
Lead on it's own is flubby, farty ,loose, has not enough sustain and doesn't like boosts at all.

It is punchy, but also quite boring. I have too fight with the 2203 all the time, but it's somehow more rewarding and exciting, besides all the fustration, that comes with it often. It has corners and edges (do you say that in english?) Somedays it sounds like shit, while it can also be glorious on others. Shit in=shit out.

I love 2203s. But that loose SLO lead channel sounds fuckin glorious for leads 🤷

I love 2203s. But that loose SLO lead channel sounds fuckin glorious for leads 🤷
This…and I don’t get the ‘lead channel didn’t like boosts’ part….the SLOs I had LOVED them; even the 25$ Dano fish n chips turned that lead channel into modded Marshall heaven…through GBs
or 65s.
Edit: I just realized you’re drop A? That might be the problem. Some amps just don’t do drop tuning well. Standard E, boosted SLO lead channel is great imo.

Edit: I just realized you’re drop A? That might be the problem. Some amps just don’t do drop tuning well. Standard E, boosted SLO lead channel is great imo.

Yeah, that seems likely.

I almost always play in standard or drop d. Maybe the SLO just doesn't jive with modern drop π tunings?

I've never owned one, but played them a million times - I used to visit Mike at his shop every once in a while. Always thought they were killer.

This…and I don’t get the ‘lead channel didn’t like boosts’ part….the SLOs I had LOVED them; even the 25$ Dano fish n chips turned that lead channel into modded Marshall heaven…through GBs
or 65s.
You can drive the Mesa stuff with boosts to death into full wet saturation and they still don't lose their natural pinch harmonics, if you know what i mean. But i felt that even moderate boosting of the SLO was too much with EMGs. Crunch channel was good though. But also obsolete, at least for me.

Yeah, that seems likely.

I almost always play in standard or drop d. Maybe the SLO just doesn't jive with modern drop π tunings?

I've never owned one, but played them a million times - I used to visit Mike at his shop every once in a while. Always thought they were killer.
Any of the new EVH would work better for me. They are a bit thin though, soundwise. But the SLO is too loose for me.

You can drive the Mesa stuff with boosts to death into full wet saturation and they still don't lose their natural pinch harmonics, if you know what i mean. But i felt that even moderate boosting of the SLO was too much with EMGs. Crunch channel was good though. But also obsolete, at least for me.
Yeah, I don’t use EMGs or drop tune other than drop D. When I boosted it, I used EVHs supposed settings which had the mids at 3-4, then hit it with that eq pedal frown mid bump and it was fantastic. Lead channel…gain was also 4-5 if I remember right. But, as others have stated it’s not the first choice for metal

SLO for me. It’s just more of what the Marshall brings for that tuning. Reminds me of old whitechapel but more refined.

Back