Some favorite non rock,shred,etc guitar players

5150clone

List some favs outside the usual camp
Lindsey Buckingham
Brian Setzer
Danny Gatton
Brad Paisley
The edge

Tommy Emmanuel, he might be the best guitar player alive...he can play anything and does it acoustically.
Stephen Bennett is another acoustic guy that amazes me, he is really good.
Check em out.

Keith Urban (only electric player on this list)

Sabicas

Manuel Barrueco

Julian Bream

Oscar Lopez

Lawson Rollins

Strunz & Farrah

Miguel de la Bastide

John Williams

LA Guitar Quartet

Christopher Parkening

The Romeros

Just to name a few...

Mark Knopfler
Brad Paisley
Larry Carlton
Phil Keagy - this is the guy a young EVH said was the best guy out there.
Steve Morse
Jimmy Page
Pat Metheney - American Garage era.

Some of these guys play rock but I dig their non-rock stuff a lot:

Gilmour
John 5
Duane Allman
Brent Mason
Chris Broderick (amazing classical guitarist in addition to his shreds)
Paisley and his faggy pink flowery guitars :LOL: :LOL:
Guthrie (Jazz and fusion mastahhhh!!!)
Sonny Landreth
Kevin Daley
Knopfler
Bonamassa
SRV
T-Bone Walker
Robert Johnson
Ry Cooder

and I HATE that I'm about to say this, but...Jack White. :aww: I actually have grown to like his minimalist approach and dirty blues style. But I still think he's a fucking hipster and I fucking hate 7 nation army with a passion!!!

glassjaw7":1ov21v8n said:

Damn skippy!!! :rock:

I majored in Classical Guitar Performance at a program run by Christopher Parkening and later played for weddings, church, etc. Most of the rock guys who've dabbled in classical (Lifeson, Rhoads and a few others that I remember) never really got beyond "hack" status by concert classical artist standards. But my first exposure to Broderick (even before he joined Megadeath) was some YouTube vids of him doing some very demanding concert repetoire standards and doing them SO well (as in comfortably and nearly flawlessly) that I had no doubts about his ability to actually perform on a concert stage in a major metropolitan area and be taken seriously. Him and maybe Rick Emmitt are the only big rock names that pop into my head at the moment as having moved beyond hack classical status.

Other than the obvious choices (Hendrix, SRV, etc.)

Reverend Horton Heat:

Just love his style of Rockabilly playing. One of my favourite songs of him.

Ian D'sa (Billy Talent:)

Flameshield on for this one. He might be considered a "rock" player (or not even that), but he really has a very unique style of playing IMO.

Tom Morello:

The reason I even started playing guitar. Heavy effect usage or not, he really created his own style of playing and you really can't say that he is a bad player.

Red_Label":13z60dlt said:
glassjaw7":13z60dlt said:

I majored in Classical Guitar Performance at a program run by Christopher Parkening and later played for weddings, church, etc. Most of the rock guys who've dabbled in classical (Lifeson, Rhoads and a few others that I remember) never really got beyond "hack" status by concert classical artist standards. But my first exposure to Broderick (even before he joined Megadeath) was some YouTube vids of him doing some very demanding concert anrepetoire standards and doing them SO well (as in comfortably and nearly flawlessly) that I had no doubts about his ability to actually perform on a concert stage in a major metropolitan area and be taken seriously. Him and maybe Rick Emmitt are the only big rock names that pop into my head at the moment as having moved beyond hack classical status.

So....not my thing, and mostly just curious about your take (as a classically trained player)...but Rick Emmitt > Randy Rhoads?

Where do you put Yngwie?

jcj":2t3ez8ck said:
Red_Label":2t3ez8ck said:
glassjaw7":2t3ez8ck said:
So....not my thing, and mostly just curious about your take (as a classically trained player)...but Rick Emmitt > Randy Rhoads?

Where do you put Yngwie?

Randy's dabbling with playing real classical (nylon strings, fingerstyle with right-hand nails) was only in its infancy when he was killed.

Rick Emmett has played real classical and jazz for many years. In fact, he pretty much quit rock for a long time.

Yngwie is my "guitar god". He is THE reason that I ended-up deciding to study classical. I didn't even really like classical music until he blew my mind with his first solo Rising Force album back in '85. When I heard the logical beauty of his work on tunes such as Far Beyond the Sun and the solo to As Above, So Below -- I was smitten. And that predominantly came from J.S. Bach. So I got into Bach and started to learn Bach's violin partitas and concertos on my electric. And that progressed to me deciding to pick up the nylon string acoustic and learn Bach's music (and that of other classical composers).

Having said all of that... Yngwie doesn't play real classical (as in with his right-hand fingernails). He uses a pick (which is what I do on my original "flamenco-jazz" tunes). He's said that he finds the traditional classical guitar style to be very limiting (mostly because it's played below the 15th fret for the most part). And I have no doubt that if he wanted to play it traditionally, he'd be damn good. But I've never seen any rock player playing traditional nylon string classical technique as well as Broderick does it. There are certainly other rock/metal players who do a very good job though. Steve Hackett, Kiko from Angra, and some others are excellent nylon string players.

JesusCrisp":15j7vvtp said:
Reverend Horton Heat:

Saw him open for another band one time, I had never heard of him before....He kicked major ass on the Gretsch. :thumbsup:

snowdog":kgk8wz6b said:
JesusCrisp":kgk8wz6b said:
Reverend Horton Heat:

Saw him open for another band one time, I had never heard of him before....He kicked major ass on the Gretsch. :thumbsup:
He is also the reason I'm GASing for a Gretsch right now.
Well, at least an Electromatic, the actual Gretsch guitars are kind of out of my price range. :LOL:

Red_Label":1xh6pbi4 said:
jcj":1xh6pbi4 said:
Red_Label":1xh6pbi4 said:
glassjaw7":1xh6pbi4 said:

Where do you put Yngwie?

Randy's dabbling with playing real classical (nylon strings, fingerstyle with right-hand nails) was only in its infancy when he was killed.

Rick Emmett has played real classical and jazz for many years. In fact, he pretty much quit rock for a long time.

Yngwie is my "guitar god". He is THE reason that I ended-up deciding to study classical. I didn't even really like classical music until he blew my mind with his first solo Rising Force album back in '85. When I heard the logical beauty of his work on tunes such as Far Beyond the Sun and the solo to As Above, So Below -- I was smitten. And that predominantly came from J.S. Bach. So I got into Bach and started to learn Bach's violin partitas and concertos on my electric. And that progressed to me deciding to pick up the nylon string acoustic and learn Bach's music (and that of other classical composers).

Having said all of that... Yngwie doesn't play real classical (as in with his right-hand fingernails). He uses a pick (which is what I do on my original "flamenco-jazz" tunes). He's said that he finds the traditional classical guitar style to be very limiting (mostly because it's played below the 15th fret for the most part). And I have no doubt that if he wanted to play it traditionally, he'd be damn good. But I've never seen any rock player playing traditional nylon string classical technique as well as Broderick does it. There are certainly other rock/metal players who do a very good job though. Steve Hackett, Kiko from Angra, and some others are excellent nylon string players.

Thanks for the insight. :thumbsup:

Benson
Pass
Carlton
Di Meola
Methany
John Williams

Way too many but you get the picture, Jazz, fusion and classical players ;)

Red_Label":25hcmnpy said:
glassjaw7":25hcmnpy said:

I majored in Classical Guitar Performance at a program run by Christopher Parkening and later played for weddings, church, etc. Most of the rock guys who've dabbled in classical (Lifeson, Rhoads and a few others that I remember) never really got beyond "hack" status by concert classical artist standards. But my first exposure to Broderick (even before he joined Megadeath) was some YouTube vids of him doing some very demanding concert repetoire standards and doing them SO well (as in comfortably and nearly flawlessly) that I had no doubts about his ability to actually perform on a concert stage in a major metropolitan area and be taken seriously. Him and maybe Rick Emmitt are the only big rock names that pop into my head at the moment as having moved beyond hack classical status.

I didn't have any formal education in classical but I found it hard going back and forth from nylon to steel and using a pick. For me the more and more I played classical the better I got at it (elementary level Bouree etc) but my pickhand suffered for a while when I go back to electric. I really wish I would have stuck with it but I went to the electric route and broke classical guitar pieces into two tracks, playing the bass line as the rhythm and the rest as more of a lead part.

Randy Rhoads was just getting his feet wet in classical it so he really didn't have time to take it to the next level unfortunately. It was Randy that led me to classical music which I love equally to rock, jazz and fusion. Yngiwe was great in bringing the influence to a different level. Randy may have beaten him to the punch if he had lived, look at the youtube video promo of the new book give a listen to the last 20-30 seconds of it you could tell where he may have been going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3apJl6PRw10

Back