Sometimes it gets Frustrating

Well there’s nothing like playing to an empty room, so you just dial in what sounds good to you on stage and that top end with no people to absorb it, coming out of the P.A. and off stage is killing everything with extreme prejudice…lol

Well there’s nothing like playing to an empty room, so you just dial in what sounds good to you on stage and that top end with no people to absorb it, coming out of the P.A. and off stage is killing everything with extreme prejudice…lol
Never did that.👏

I haven’t read any responses and I’m sure someone already said this. Keep in mind the large majority of the audience isn’t thinking about your tone. They are hearing the song as a whole and enjoying it.

Usually not a problem with my SS rigs, but with my tube amps I have sometimes have consistency issues from venue to venue. That said, I agree with the others that lack of clean power, and room acoustics can contribute to the problem. I also always wondered how much of an effect proximity has on closely run xlr and power cables to the overall sound.

That's how my Superlead is. In the same room, some days it sounds like VH 1 and & I'm happy and other days it sounds terrible like I have worn tube(s) or something. The tone will be off and the gain just won't seem to be there. Very frustrating. I guess it has to with humidity, temperature, our hearing. I can't see how a fluctuation of a few volts from the power source would make an audible difference. Dirty power I can see making a difference though.
I plugged my amp into a variac and lowered the AC voltage from 122 down to like 118 or so and it made no difference in sound.

Amps can sound great at one gig and location and then not so great at another. It is frustrating but something that does happen regularly. Lately I have been using things that are more consistent and lightweight.

That's how my Superlead is. In the same room, some days it sounds like VH 1 and & I'm happy and other days it sounds terrible like I have worn tube(s) or something. The tone will be off and the gain just won't seem to be there. Very frustrating. I guess it has to with humidity, temperature, our hearing. I can't see how a fluctuation of a few volts from the power source would make an audible difference. Dirty power I can see making a difference though.
I plugged my amp into a variac and lowered the AC voltage from 122 down to like 118 or so and it made no difference in sound.
Exactly!

I haven’t read any responses and I’m sure someone already said this. Keep in mind the large majority of the audience isn’t thinking about your tone. They are hearing the song as a whole and enjoying it.
Agreed.
I’ll also add that when I was gigging, I was always more interested in critiquing my performance/playing more than my tone.
I noticed differences from venue to venue, sure, but you learn quickly that is inevitable. Lots of variables come into play at a live gig.

Agreed.
I’ll also add that when I was gigging, I was always more interested in critiquing my performance/playing more than my tone.
I noticed differences from venue to venue, sure, but you learn quickly that is inevitable. Lots of variables come into play at a live gig.
I just hate feeling like I need to throw the amp out of the car on my way home.:) Just have to accept it and move on to the next gig. Sometimes it sounds so good I let it sit in the front seat and buckle it in and offer it a 🍔 from a 24 hour McDonalds.

I just hate feeling like I need to throw the amp out of the car on my way home.:) Just have to accept it and move on to the next gig. Sometimes it sounds so good I let it sit in the front seat and buckle it in and offer it a 🍔 from a 24 hour McDonalds.
I get it man. It’s a real thing. What amp are you playing? Sorry if I missed it earlier.

I get it man. It’s a real thing. What amp are you playing? Sorry if I missed it earlier.
Don’t get me wrong this is not a every night event. Most nights “Kick Ass”. I have several amps and cabinets that I rotate depending on the venue size and indoors or outside. Friedman PT 20, Marshall JMP 2204, SLO 30, Orange OR 15

Don’t get me wrong this is not a every night event. Most nights “Kick Ass”. I have several amps and cabinets that I rotate depending on the venue size and indoors or outside. Friedman PT 20, Marshall JMP 2204, SLO 30, Orange OR 15
Those are all great amps.

I find sometimes it's not as bad as you might think.

Have you listened to your recordings a few days later.

Back