SONAR 8.5 Producer

amiller

I just upgraded my SONAR 7.0 to 8.5. I did so mainly to have access to Session Drummer 3. Does anyone here have Session Drummer 3? What are your thoughts about it?

Big fan of 8.5! As for session drummer, I think the stevenslate samples are the only decent ones, i would recommend trying to get superior or stevenslate though they are worth the coin!

I think Session Drummer 3 is pretty cool when used with the step sequencer, but I've been using Superior 2.0, sounds better to me.

Producer 8.5 is great, you can get better drums though! But, Sesion Drummer 3 is ok for song writing and demoing!

craftm1":1837b1at said:
Producer 8.5 is great, you can get better drums though! But, Sesion Drummer 3 is ok for song writing and demoing!

This--there aren't a ton of what I've found to be usable loops in SD3 and I've only created usable drums in SD3 by using the step sequencer. I'm currently looking for better drums as well, so I'd love to hear opinions. I have a BOSS DR-880 as well but geez, the programming...

Cheers,

A lot of it is personal preference, it's hard to beat a good step sequencer ecspecially for us non drummers. I use Toontrack stuff typically in my studio when I can't get a drummer to lay some tracks down. But for demoing or writing I use what's ever handy. There will be a lot of opinions on what is more realistic and what sounds real verses sounds cheesey. I have heard some very good stuff come from session drummer but I started using the EZ drummer stuff when it first came to market so that's what I'm comfortable using. One thing I've noticed with a lot of the program stuff is it is easy to lose your self in the details and use and not focus on the music, so beware! :doh:

I've been thinking about upgrading to 8.5. It's good to see you all like it.

Not to hijack the thread, but are ALL of you using programmed drums? Are any of you recording drums with 8.5? If so, what are you using for an interface?

I use an M-Audio Octane. I works really well and if I want to warm things up I'll use some Alesis MP's.

I see that Steven Slate drum samples do come with 8.5. Are they not enough? If I go the full Steve Slate route will his product interface directly with SONAR via vst or...? :confused:

What about EZdrummer...does it interface directly with SONAR? :confused:

amiller":1k5i851m said:
I see that Steven Slate drum samples do come with 8.5. Are they not enough? If I go the full Steve Slate route will his product interface directly with SONAR via vst or...? :confused:

theres 2 steven slate triggers in there, there not bad but in no way do they compare to what you can do with superior, (i havent tried the full steven slate library). I went back to one of my mixes from last month before i got superior and my god what a difference. If you want send me your email and ill send you both.

sebby123":144cgflv said:
amiller":144cgflv said:

theres 2 steven slate triggers in there, there not bad but in no way do they compare to what you can do with superior, (i havent tried the full steven slate library). I went back to one of my mixes from last month before i got superior and my god what a difference. If you want send me your email and ill send you both.

PM sent!

amiller":3p15kznp said:
sebby123":3p15kznp said:
amiller":3p15kznp said:

PM sent!

I got your PM. Will check it out the clips when I get home tonight...thanks!!! :rock:

PeteLaramee":3iss5tkk said:

Not to hijack the thread, but are ALL of you using programmed drums? Are any of you recording drums with 8.5? If so, what are you using for an interface?

Mostly programming but i do you a M-audio profire 610, Upgraded from presonus gear i have to say the studio i record at uses 003 and a nieve preamp and the M-audio has all the clarity without the midhump character of the nieve. After switching i notced how much of a low mid bump and character presonus stuff has casuing you to turn up more mids then your normally would in your mixes.

sebby123":1cm9yb5d said:
PeteLaramee":1cm9yb5d said:

Mostly programming but i do you a M-audio profire 610, Upgraded from presonus gear i have to say the studio i record at uses 003 and a nieve preamp and the M-audio has all the clarity without the midhump character of the nieve. After switching i notced how much of a low mid bump and character presonus stuff has casuing you to turn up more mids then your normally would in your mixes.

I listened to both clips. I actually liked the Steven Slater samples a bit more for what I'm doing. Do you know what file format the samples are stored in. I have some Steven Slater samples that I used with a drum trigger program called Drumagog. The samples came as .gog files for Drumago BUT .wav files were also included. I'm wondering is Session Drummer can access the .wav files...anybody? :confused:

amiller":g6njem9y said:
sebby123":g6njem9y said:
PeteLaramee":g6njem9y said:

I listened to both clips. I actually liked the Steven Slater samples a bit more for what I'm doing. Do you know what file format the samples are stored in. I have some Steven Slater samples that I used with a drum trigger program called Drumagog. The samples came as .gog files for Drumago BUT .wav files were also included. I'm wondering is Session Drummer can access the .wav files...anybody? :confused:

I dont know if you can with the session drummer files but im pretty you can with steven slate, SS is a bit more expensive than superior but not by much, I just noticed how quiet the drums in the steven slate sample i sent you and how loud they were in the superior one let me send you a naked superior drum track thats a little more your style.

sebby123":19m22vlg said:
amiller":19m22vlg said:
sebby123":19m22vlg said:
PeteLaramee":19m22vlg said:

I dont know if you can with the session drummer files but im pretty you can with steven slate, SS is a bit more expensive than superior but not by much, I just noticed how quiet the drums in the steven slate sample i sent you and how loud they were in the superior one let me send you a naked superior drum track thats a little more your style.

Great! I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

Also, I think this, from the Cakewalk website, answers my qustion about .wav files...very cool:

"•Drag-and-drop drum components: build kits by dragging any WAV or OGG file from the desktop onto a pad."

Back