Songs with your favorite tones , players or LP's.

Diary of a Axeman

Banned
Randy Rhoads on S.A.T.O. , Can't Kill Rock n Roll and Over The Mountain.

George Lynch on Into The Fire, Heaven Sent, In My Dreams, Slipping Away, Mr. Scary, Tooth And Nail and Just Got Lucky

John Sykes ...any thing he played.

Gary Moore all his music.

Yngwie Malmsteen , his sounds on Trilogy and Odyssey.

Steve Vai , Eat'em and Smile and Passion and Warefare .

Joe Satriani, all of it .

Neal Schon, Eric Johnson, John Petrucci, Jake E. Lee and Zakk Wylde ( very John Sykes like ) .

Oh man, where do I even begin and where do I end…

Everything you mentioned above for sure

Billy Gibbons, DeMartini, Hetfield, Page, Hendrix, Paul Gilbert…I’m just going to end up listing all of my favorite artists lol

Theres also this dude who went by EVH…he seemed to know a thing or two about tone…I’ve heard a lot of people talk about his bands first record…what did he play like a telecaster through a Dumble on that or something lol :hys: :cheers: :rock:

Even EVH says that Billy Gibbons was a huge influence in his playing, you hear it on Hot For Teacher .
Just Got Paid .... is monolithic in tone !!!!!
Tres Hombres ... oozing with Strat, Tele and Les Paul Classic goodness.

Even EVH says that Billy Gibbons was a huge influence in his playing, you hear it on Hot For Teacher .
Just Got Paid .... is monolithic in tone !!!!!
Tres Hombres ... oozing with Strat, Tele and Les Paul Classic goodness.
Absolutely, Gibbons tone on the first album, the song Old Man…holy fuck there’s no way that amp wasn’t a smoldering heap of embers by the time gibbons was done recording that song!

There are way too many to list but my God some of those metallica album tones are crushing.

My absolute dream tones came from Killswitch Engage albums like End of Heartache and As Daylight Dies. I could listen to those all day. A close second favorite album tone is Alter Bridge III

There are way too many to list but my God some of those metallica album tones are crushing.

My absolute dream tones came from Killswitch Engage albums like End of Heartache and As Daylight Dies. I could listen to those all day. A close second favorite album tone is Alter Bridge III

EOH was Splawns was it not? Sounds like a Nitro to me.

EOH was a 5150 through a VHT Fatbottom cab blended with a Framus Dragon through a Mesa Recto cab, except on a couple of songs (Rose of Sharyn) where the Dragon broke, and they were forced to use a Cobra.

I'm HUGE into those mid 2000's Metalcore sounds. I think those tones could very well fit heavier styles of metal. I could totally see Carcass or At the Gates rocking those kinds of tones.

It also doesn't hurt that I'm huge into Swedish Melodeath and that kinda Metalcore is just basically Melodeath with more clean singing and breakdowns, LOL.

I do love EOH. But I like Shadows Are Security for my own stuff, personally. More grind, rasp, and sizzle and a bit less cleaner in the mids. But EOH is more commonly agreed to be like *the* sound of Metalcore, I think.

Last edited:
Time stamp 36:10 has to be my favorite tone of all time. Les Paul junior into a Martin Golub modded Marshall. The whole album has killer tones but there was something about this take being raw, aggressive, And massive that sets it apart from the rest of the tracks.

Anything off AIC’s Dirt
Ozzy, the whole No More Tears album
Dream Theater- Awake
Sevendust- Animosity (between this album and DT’s Awake they capture my favorite Mesa tones)
Vai- Alien Love Secrets
Killswitch Engage- The End Of Heartache
Gilmour- The Division Bell/PULSE
EJ- Ah Via Musicom/Venus Isle
STP- Fuckin’ anything, I love the shit DeLeo did in the studio and how he translated it live

I think a lot of it has to do with context and time. There was a time pre-EVH where these two tones were some of my favorites (I was a very young teen). I timestamped them. I'm also a huge early Billy G fan...wore out those early records.

Back