Speaker cables.

I only use mogami for speaker cables, and pedal/guitar cables (though I am always wireless with guitar). I even for some reason have mogami cables from interface to studio monitors. But when it comes to wiring a cab, I just use 14-18 guage wire whatever I am feeling at the time.

20 years ago, I bought spools of monster speaker cable (looks like lamp cord) and made my own cables. I still use them without issue.

Over the last 6 months or so I’ve bought a lot of speaker cables and other cables from this company below. They basically use Mogami cable and their own connectors and make them. But they are much cheaper than mogami. Also they are based in the US with is cool. They’re called Castline and they use different types of mogami, so get as thick or thin as you want. Great quality, well built cables.

https://reverb.com/shop/castline

Here's a few easy rules to live by when it comes to guitar speaker cables:

1. Go with pure copper, avoid CCA. Don't waste your money on hyped "technologies" in speaker cable. Pure copper is really all you need.
2. 16AWG wire is fine for most applications, or 14AWG for runs of 20+ ft. 12AWG wire is overkill unless you are considering 50ft runs, and you will find it hard to cram this size into most 1/4" connectors.
3. A high quality connector like Neutrik or Amphenol is great, but more important is the solder joint. Learn to solder and your speaker cables will last a life time!

Over the last 6 months or so I’ve bought a lot of speaker cables and other cables from this company below. They basically use Mogami cable and their own connectors and make them. But they are much cheaper than mogami. Also they are based in the US with is cool. They’re called Castline and they use different types of mogami, so get as thick or thin as you want. Great quality, well built cables.

https://reverb.com/shop/castline
Thanks for the heads up on this Company.
They are within a few miles from me

I have several that I've made over the years that are all different old lamp cord and whatever connectors I sourced at the time. They're all different. I also have a couple of old Monster cables that I've repaired plus one 20' cable I recently bought for easier PS2 connection without always moving heads to it.

Here's a few easy rules to live by when it comes to guitar speaker cables:

1. Go with pure copper, avoid CCA. Don't waste your money on hyped "technologies" in speaker cable. Pure copper is really all you need.
2. 16AWG wire is fine for most applications, or 14AWG for runs of 20+ ft. 12AWG wire is overkill unless you are considering 50ft runs, and you will find it hard to cram this size into most 1/4" connectors.
3. A high quality connector like Neutrik or Amphenol is great, but more important is the solder joint. Learn to solder and your speaker cables will last a life time!
Agreed. Went down that rabbit hole years ago. I still use Kimber but that's because it's lasted. That said I have everything from Monster to Mogami to Pro Co lying around and I cannot tell the difference. In fact if I was buying new I'd just go to Best-Tronics. That's where I get all my guitar cables.

Back