Speaker for my Laney AOR 30 combo!

bonedish

I love the basic tone of the amp, but I'm wanting something a tad bit tighter with no mushy low end. The stock speaker is the Fane (#125558) which sounds nice, but when the gain is turned up the low end turns to mush and is nowhere near tight enough for my likes. I swapped it with a CL80 and that helps - a little bit- but it still has a little mush and looseness on the low end of things. Plus, the amp is only rated at 30 watts (really 20-22 with the 2 6V6s (so I've read)), so the CL80 may not be the right speeaker for this amp.

I'm looking to cover a variety of tones - from country->blues/rock->classic/pop/hard rock. I don't play metal (except for when messing around) so I'm not looking for tightness in the super high gain realm. Maybe something Greenback-ish???

Oh, and I've searched (and am a member of) the Laney posse forum, but my searches have been pretty fruitless to this point. Most recommend the stock Fane for this combo amp, and don't really recommend much else.

Thanks in advance for your help! :rock:

6V6 amp. The amp itself gets a decent Marshall/Vox crunch tone, I guess I'm looking for something that's a little tighter in the bottom end - not as fuzzy/woofy/flubby.

Well, an alnico will be clear, not woofy, but the bottom is sublimated to mids. You'd be close to a fane, sort of like old The Who tones. A Celestion Blue or Weber Blue Dog would be nice. On another hand a Green back will not be as chimey or clear but will have thicker bottom for more rock, a bit heavier. I have weber alnicos in a 6v6 champ and they sound killer for mid gain.

Back