Speaker Guys... in here

SFW

Ok. So for years now I have been playing through an EVH 412 cab. Earlier this year I picked up a Splawn 212 loaded with the Small Block 55 speakers. I have learned that I am not a fan of Eminence speakers. lol! Which higher powered Celestion speaker sounds most like the EVH Greenback? I like the smaller footprint and traveling convenience of the 212, but I cannot stand these speakers. I need a realistic alternative for my 212 cab. Are the Creambacks the way to go? If so, which one? Thanks for the assistance!

I can only speak to the H75 Creamback and imo it is a really good sounding speaker but it is way more clean sounding. It doesn't have the Greenback crunchy mids. The Heritage G12H30 75Hz sounds closer and really good too imo but it's only 30W. Probably rated conservatively on power handling tho.

The Heritage G12H30 55Hz is way more scooped/brittle than the 75Hz. I did not like it.

I can only speak to the H75 Creamback and imo it is a really good sounding speaker but it is way more clean sounding. It doesn't have the Greenback crunchy mids. The Heritage G12H30 75Hz sounds closer and really good too imo but it's only 30W. Probably rated conservatively on power handling tho.

The Heritage G12H30 55Hz is way more scooped/brittle than the 75Hz. I did not like it.
I prefer the Heritsge 75 hz g12h as well, way chunkier mids than 55hz and not as spiked high end … but either one pales in comparison to my ‘70’s 55hz 25w blackbacks (in my opinion)

Last edited:
Scumback M's are considerably darker than the EVH's if that helps. The creamback M is your best bet.

The Creamback M has the same magnet and cone as the EVH's. They definitely cover some similar ground.

I had a pair of Creamback H75’s. Did not care for them. Lots of sizzle in the high end. I like G12-65’s a lot for higher powered Greenback type tone. They’re smoother on the top end, but they have that GB squish that the H75’s didn’t.

Id' say if you really like your Greenback tones then you might have to seriously consider the 65 watt Sumback models, he has the Pulsonic/prerola and the blackback models to choose from. The one thing I found with the M75 65 watt pre-rola pulsonic clone models that I had is you really had to drive them with pretty good volume to get them to sound best, my original blackback 25 watters are the same way due to the efficiency/sensitivity of the voice coil at 98 DB versus the 12H-30 sensitivity of 100 DB. The voice coil is just more efficient on the 12H-30 and I found sound better at lower volumes that I play alot more now.

When I could crank up the Scumbacks they were great but at lower volumes they could get a little wooly sounding and less defined just like I experience with my Blackbacks 25 watters as well and I imagine with 65 watt voice coils you have to drive them even harder to get to the sweet spot.

The only other higher wattage speaker that is in the ballpark of the greenback would be the G1265 heritage reissue. I have one in a combo amp and I really like it. It is a little smoother than 25 watt greenback but kinda similar IMHO, you will notice it's sensitivity rating is 97 DB and if I remember correctly Celestion originally marketed these as higher power greenbacks in the 70's and 80's. YMMV.....

All that being said I have been extremely happy with my Celestion Heritage 12H-30's 55hz and 75hz quads for two cabinet replacing the Scumbacks and the Heritages sounded awesome right out of the box, I couldn't believe it but they did and keep getting sweeter all the time. The 75HZ Heritage speakers sound like my original 1979 12H-30 75Hz cabinet just without the decades of use effects on tone.

Another vote for the G12M-65 Creamback. I also own the EVH 412 and recently got an Emperor 412. Initially I loaded it with 4 of the Creambacks and it sounded very similar to the EVH, maybe even a bit better to my tastes. Then I swapped in two Alnico Creams in an X pattern with the Creambacks and it's such a killer combination!

Nothing will sound identical to those Greenbacks but the M-65 is damn close and has a bit of it's own thing going on too.

I’ve heard some say the EVH is the same speaker as the 20 watt heritage GB. If that’s the case then I don’t know of any higher powered speaker that really sounds or feels anything like it. Higher powered speaker just by nature have very different character and feel from my experience. The closest higher powered speaker I’ve heard to sounding like a GB was the ‘80’s vented T75, but still different and lacked tonal complexity and grit compared to actual older GB’s, but of course had more power, headroom, deeper bass. It’s a nice speaker

The 20 watt GB’s are much tighter, biting, more aggressive and immediate in feel than other GB’s. The other speakers recommended here so far would be closer to the 25 or 30 watt versions, but still pretty different imo. With that all being said, you may wanna check out the Alnico Gold’s. They’re rated at 50 watts. I know they’re not based on GB’s, but they sound killer and have an aggression, bite and feel that can be sort of comparable to the heritage 20 watt GB’s. I’m a real vintage snob when it comes to speakers and the only non-vintage ones I still really like and plan to keep are the Gold’s and 20 watt Heritage GB’s FWIW

One other thing to consider is that a bunch of guys have told me that they weren’t that satisfied with their Splawn cabs no matter what speakers they used in it, so the cab itself could possibly be part of what you don’t like, but I don’t like Eminence’s either, although some of the vintage ones can be nice and real sleepers for the price

Last edited:
I’ve heard some say the EVH is the same speaker as the 20 watt heritage GB.
It allegedly is. I think the Zilla guys have compared (what haven't they?) and felt there was a slight difference. I need to try them, the clips I've heard of the Heritage 20W made them sound sort of squawky compared to the Heritage G12H 75Hz so I went with the latter and like it. But clips can be deceiving. My 4x12s are all 70s GB/CB/BB blends plus an '84 w/ vented 75s. But I needed speakers for some new combos I've built/bought.

I recently put an Alnico Gold in an open 1x12" for my Trainwreck Rocket clone and it sounds great. Perfect for that amp.

That’s interesting. I’m looking for a green back type to pair with the alnico creams but most are 97 db compared to 100 db with the alnico.

You don’t think the alnico overpowers the cream back ?

Another vote for the G12M-65 Creamback. I also own the EVH 412 and recently got an Emperor 412. Initially I loaded it with 4 of the Creambacks and it sounded very similar to the EVH, maybe even a bit better to my tastes. Then I swapped in two Alnico Creams in an X pattern with the Creambacks and it's such a killer combination!

Nothing will sound identical to those Greenbacks but the M-65 is damn close and has a bit of it's own thing going on too.

It depends on the amp but the creamback 65's are great for Marshall type amps. Loved them with Splawn amps.

The 75's are my go to for my Mesa Mark IV and KSR.

I have also switched from v30's to Redbacks which has been a huge surprise. The Redback/Creamback combo is my new favorite mix.

I would also have to leave a Scumback comment. I can't say which "is most like" something else but what I can say is I have been eyeballing scumback speakers for years and finally decided to give them a shot and wish I had sooner.

Ive tried a fair amount of speakers from different celestion to eminence to Jensen and WGS.

Nothing has sounded as good as these scumbacks.

i have an EVH 4x12. I put 2 Creamback 65's in one of my Splawn 2x12's and it sounds very similar, but with a bit more bottom end and a hair looser. I have a Neo creamback in a 1x12 and it sounds real close as well.

Last edited:
Back