Speakers for MOD50

Glimpse

Hi guys, as my previous thread stated I just ordered a MOD50 (I'm stoked!) this weekend. That leaves me with picking up a cab, which leaves me to speaker choices!

Was there a particular speaker the MOD50 was designed around/for? I hear that Bruce really digs Celestion Vintage 30s and that a lot of guys think they work very well with the amp. They are also "standard" speakers in a lot of cabs.

Egnater's custom voiced CL80 is another option, but only if I get a 1X12. I've also thought about G12-65s...

Any thoughts?

Well both Bruce and myself really now like the Wharehouse 30's. For the 1x12 and 2x12 we both really like our Cl-80 elite. The 2x12 at GC is a killer cabinet!

RockStarNick":3kg16o9i said:
At first glance I thought that said Whorehouse 30s.
That would be a really, really loose speaker. :D

Man, I would definately buy a 4x12" cabinet if it were loaded with Whorehouse 30's... :thumbsup:

EDIT: Anyhow I'm actually thinking of picking up a Tourmaster 2x12" cabinet for my MOD50.

Glimpse":2nzb697d said:
Hi guys, as my previous thread stated I just ordered a MOD50 (I'm stoked!) this weekend. That leaves me with picking up a cab, which leaves me to speaker choices!

Was there a particular speaker the MOD50 was designed around/for? I hear that Bruce really digs Celestion Vintage 30s and that a lot of guys think they work very well with the amp. They are also "standard" speakers in a lot of cabs.

Egnater's custom voiced CL80 is another option, but only if I get a 1X12. I've also thought about G12-65s...

Any thoughts?

I have tried the Warehouse CL80s, Veteran 30s, Celestion CL80s, Vintage 30s, G12T75s, G12-65s, G12K100s, and a quite a few others.

What kinds of modules are you going to be using? What types of music do you want to play with your Mod50?

For blues and classic rock, the G12-65s are a really good choice. For harder rock / metal, I'd go w/ the Vintage 30s (if you happen to like that mid-range boost...which I don't), G12T75s, or G12K100s. If you want an all around good speaker that can handle everything, Celestion CL80s and G12K100s are a really good choice. CL80s and G12K100s are my favorite two speakers w/ the Mod50. For blues / rock, I have a Avatar 1x12 w/ the G12-65 in there for fun :). Can't go wrong with it!

Eric

MkIV":2428v1n7 said:
RockStarNick":2428v1n7 said:

Man, I would definately buy a 4x12" cabinet if it were loaded with Whorehouse 30's... :thumbsup:

EDIT: Anyhow I'm actually thinking of picking up a Tourmaster 2x12" cabinet for my MOD50.

They do look pretty damn awesome :). I've been thinking of having John at Stone Age make me a 4x12 sometime soon :). Or I'll just go get a 4x12 from GC someday. I haven't used a 4x12 in a while. Sometimes I miss it!

Eric

I play all sorts of music, but mainly heavy rock (think Pearl Jam/Alice in Chains/Candlebox). But clean tones are really important to me too. I'm not in a band, so I primarily play low to medium volumes in my house. Hence, I'm thinking about getting a 1X12 with an effecient speaker, such as a V30, CL80, or even a G12-65. My options open up a little more with a 2X12 though...

I know a lot of the interwebz folks seem to despise V30s, but they've never bothered me for some reason. But my experience with them is primairly in Bogner cabs (which I love). I just don't wanna fork over that kinda dough for their OS2X12 cab right now, ya know? That's why I'm looking at the speaker choices...

I've thought about getting a Port City OS 1X12 with a V30 or other speaker. I've read great things about them (plus I get to support a local dude!). Or I might go with the cheaper option and get the Egnater Tourmaster 2X12.

Or, still, I'm thinking about getting a Carolina Cab from Indoor Storm. Eddie told me they've got Mojo Tone British Vintage speakers that are a cross between a V30 and CL80, which sounds like a great combo! And again, I get to support local guys!

Jeff Hilligan":7it16nc1 said:
Well both Bruce and myself really now like the Wharehouse 30's. For the 1x12 and 2x12 we both really like our Cl-80 elite. The 2x12 at GC is a killer cabinet!
I picked up 2 of the 212 TMs and really could not be happier!!!Mod50 + EG5 + 2 212s with the Eggie CL80 things and throw in an Afwayu set(MCP)and I just found the HOLY FREAKIN GRAIL OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: Them TM cabs rock!!

I recenly picked up a 4x12 TM cab from MF. I am keeping that one for sure....and I have the 2x12 that Egnater built when I bought my amp last November. I would be interested in selling it. If anyone is interested, please email me @

sam-archer@kc.rr.com

Jeff Hilligan":2llrd12c said:

+1 on the Tourmaster cab with the CL-80 Elites. The best deal on a pro 2x12 cab around IMO.

Brad

aeroic":13wmzjk1 said:
MkIV":13wmzjk1 said:
RockStarNick":13wmzjk1 said:

They do look pretty damn awesome :). I've been thinking of having John at Stone Age make me a 4x12 sometime soon :). Or I'll just go get a 4x12 from GC someday. I haven't used a 4x12 in a while. Sometimes I miss it![Eric's quote]

He is building me 2 2x12C open/closed cabs and i am sending him 2 Randall MTS Mic eliminators to install in them as soon as i get them next week. :thumbsup: Now i have to figure out what speakers in each cab.1 cab for jazz/blues (cod vx t/d bassman) sound the other for rock/metal (erect sl sl2 eg3/4 eg5) :D

Back