Splawn "Master Volume".. what do you do?

Bash_Man

hey everyone,
I know the late generation of some Splawns like the nitro came with a Volume with the effects loop circuit that can act as a master volume. I got that from Scott over at Splawn and had it installed in my Nitro.

What I wanted to see is how some of you out there who have this on your Splawns, how do you use it? Do you leave it cranked all the way up and adjust channel volumes accordingly ? or do you turn it down a bit and crank up the channel volumes?

Cheers

I set my volume on the gain channel at around 10:00 and adjust overall volume using the loop master. If I go any higher I start to lose the
volume kick from the solo boost. it's a balancing act. I'd love to be able to run the loop master wide open but then I can't get the amp volume up much past 7-8 o clock. To my ears the amp sounds a bit more "open" and crisper with the loop master wide open, so at next rehearsal I will start with the loop master wide open and see how high I can get the volume up before I get yelled at :)

I'll basically agree with the above.
I set/match my channel volume levels at around 10-11 o'clock-ish and then use the return master on the back to adjust the overall volume.

This works very well and I usually can't push the return level much past 12 o'clock either or it's pushing. These days loud is a 4-letter word.
Although, at about 1-2 o'clock on the return level, things are sounding pretty damn amazing :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mine doesn't have a built in master but I'm doing the same thing basically. So yeah, I set my channel volume a little louder than I would normally - 11 oclock or 12 noon and then use the loop volume (maybe 8 out of 10) to bring that down a bit to get the power section cooking without my ears cooking.

oSYOoXj.jpg

On my Street Rod I have it half way up at most. I'm usually getting yelled at when it's at that point!

Be aware that the solo boost loses effectiveness as you increase the dirty channel volume control. I have that at about 9:00 to 9:30, more than that and the solo boost doesn't do that much. That's *plenty* of volume.

It's pretty amazing at how good these amps sound at lower volumes with the loop control. They do open up more when you increase the loop volume but there are other considerations (ears, bandmates, family members etc...!)

I use it as a master volume.. I have the volumes Clean and Filthy set at around 10:00 o'clock... As cvogue mentioned above in his post above 10:00 o'clock will affect the solo function... Happy Saturday crank the Glass feel the love. Play a Splawn your ears will Thank You...🤘🍻

I use it as a master volume.. I have the volumes Clean and Filthy set at around 10:00 o'clock... As cvogue mentioned above in his post above 10:00 o'clock will affect the solo function... Happy Saturday crank the Glass feel the love. Play a Splawn your ears will Thank You...🤘🍻
LOL!

Clean and Filthy, love it!

Mine doesn't have a built in master but I'm doing the same thing basically. So yeah, I set my channel volume a little louder than I would normally - 11 oclock or 12 noon and then use the loop volume (maybe 8 out of 10) to bring that down a bit to get the power section cooking without my ears cooking.

oSYOoXj.jpg
Do you notice any tone suck from this device?
I’ve seen them for sale on eBay for short money and always wondered how well they worked.

GTR - I would have to honestly say I don't know. I can't really tell any difference. Maybe if someone was standing back there taking it in and out I might. Regardless, having it there is worth it. I'm the type will go weeks with that external volume at 3 oclock and weeks with it at full on 5 oclock and then weeks with it removed completely. Always trying different set ups.

Good to see you here and thanks for asking :cheers:

GTR - I would have to honestly say I don't know. I can't really tell any difference. Maybe if someone was standing back there taking it in and out I might. Regardless, having it there is worth it. I'm the type will go weeks with that external volume at 3 oclock and weeks with it at full on 5 oclock and then weeks with it removed completely. Always trying different set ups.

Good to see you here and thanks for asking :cheers:
Yeah tone suck is something I notice pretty quickly. Something just won't sit right with me and my sound and then I'll plug straight in and go "Ahh... that's what I remember!"

Dirty channel volumes are usually set to 9:00 and overall volume is controlled by the loop master, which I range from 1:00 to full open. I play loud!

I run my amp with an attenuator. Either a Weber Mass 200 or my Two Notes Captor X.

I've always wanted to try an attenuator but just never got around to it for whatever reason. Do you notice tone suck SFW and do you use one while gigging?

Dirty channel volumes are usually set to 9:00 and overall volume is controlled by the loop master, which I range from 1:00 to full open. I play loud!

Good to see you over here :cheers:

With the Weber the high end will roll off the more you clamp down on the volume. There is a treble compensator on the unit. Since I started using the Captor X, I'm sending an IR to FOH. So they get the full amp through the IR. I attenuate the cab level for stage volume. We use an IEM system, so I am hearing the IR as well. This setup has worked very well for us. I used the weber a few times years ago live and got good results with it as well.

My IR setup is a 121 and 57 on an EVH Greenback. So it sounds like my actual cab mixed up. This is also how we are recording our new album.

Last edited:
Back