Splawn Nitro KT88's compared to EL34's

DEWD

How does the Nitro sound w/ KT88's compared to EL34's? Also how does it sound with the new loop?

I had one of the first ones with EL34's and it was okay but it always seemed kind of compressed and too round (if that's a description :D). I'm wondering if the new loop and KT88's would make it a keeper. :confused:

I can't comment on the comparison because I never played one with EL34's, but I can tell you that I wish I never sold my Nitro w/ KT88's. and I let it go for real cheap too. :( :( :(

I want a kt88 nitro so bad right now, i had one with el34 but sold it and i really think the kt88 is the tube for this amp.

I have Winged C 34s in my Nitro and really can't imagine it sounding any better than it does. But I've heard really good comments about Nitros and 88s.

Okay....I think the big difference is feel. I played a ProMod and my Quickrod side by side....They both sounded huge, but the Promod was more clear and tight, less sustain and sponge. I instantly knew I liked my Quickrod more, but as I say...that is the feel I like.

I have an early Nitro and a newer QR. I fought with the Nitro until I put KT88's in it. I put many different brands of EL34's in my Nitro before trying KT88's. Ruby EL34bstr's were pretty nice in the amp FWIW. However, KT88's made the the lows bigger and tighter. It opened up the amp and gave it more saturation. KT88's honestly made the Nitro go from good to great for me. Another tip, boost the Nitro. It sounds incredible boosted. You need a good cab with the Nitro also. I don't think speakers matter nearly as much as the cab does. Personally my Scumback loaded cab and my V30/G12T75 cab are my favorites with the Nitro (and I own 2 Splawn cabs also). :rock:

ldm":3h67v7cp said:
I have an early Nitro and a newer QR. I fought with the Nitro until I put KT88's in it. I put many different brands of EL34's in my Nitro before trying KT88's. Ruby EL34bstr's were pretty nice in the amp FWIW. However, KT88's made the the lows bigger and tighter. It opened up the amp and gave it more saturation. KT88's honestly made the Nitro go from good to great for me. Another tip, boost the Nitro. It sounds incredible boosted. You need a good cab with the Nitro also. I don't think speakers matter nearly as much as the cab does. Personally my Scumback loaded cab and my V30/G12T75 cab are my favorites with the Nitro (and I own 2 Splawn cabs also). :rock:

Cool. Have you ever tried the Splawn SB's with your KT88 Nitro?

DEWD":2lgzccq1 said:
ldm":2lgzccq1 said:

Yes. One of my Splawn 4x12's has an X pattern of SB/BB's. It sounds great. Very snarly. I prefer the smoother tone of Scumback M75/H75's (65 watters) in my Kress 4x12 though.

ldm":23l0gxbd said:
DEWD":23l0gxbd said:
ldm":23l0gxbd said:

Yes. One of my Splawn 4x12's has an X pattern of SB/BB's. It sounds great. Very snarly. I prefer the smoother tone of Scumback M75/H75's (65 watters) in my Kress 4x12 though.

Yeah, I'd like to try Scumbacks some day. Thanks for the info.

Got my nitro today and i definately like the kt88 better than the el34, now that i have owned both i hear what everybody has been talking about.

My nitro came with kt88 ruby in it
It sounds awesome
But I really dig it when it's clean boosted by a bb-preamp
to add tightness to the sound with my mesa cabs..
I'd also like to try a Flying Dragon boost
it seems very transparent.
and got great review on guitarworld

anyone else tried the Flying Dragon boost?

I sort of wish I would have soldered in a resistor and tried the 88's before I sold my Nitro. The reason I didn't think of it at the time was because I thought it super bass heavy with the 34's as it was.

DEWD":1pjccxrz said:
I'm wondering if the new loop and KT88's would make it a keeper. :confused:

I guess not. :LOL: :LOL:

ldm":1pjccxrz said:
I have an early Nitro and a newer QR. I fought with the Nitro until I put KT88's in it. I put many different brands of EL34's in my Nitro before trying KT88's. Ruby EL34bstr's were pretty nice in the amp FWIW. However, KT88's made the the lows bigger and tighter. It opened up the amp and gave it more saturation. KT88's honestly made the Nitro go from good to great for me.

I see you are dealing Gold Lion KT88s now. In the Nitro...how do those compare to the SEDs, Sino, JJs?

I got my Nitro with EL34's. Loved it, but there was something just... I don't know... "missing" with the tone. Switched it over to KT88's and have never looked back. The amp just KILLS now.

I also replaced the chicken-head knobs with Marshall Jubilee knobs:

Nitro_V3.jpg

This is bubbastain's old Nitro and it is awesome, truly. I think the KT88 is indeed the tube for this amp. Gives you everything the EL34 does, and more... I'll try and get clips up...

Yeah. I have the Kt88 Nitro - I love it alot more than the el34s. Just thinking about retubing and was considering the Gold Lions.

mhenson42":s326ze97 said:
DEWD":s326ze97 said:

ldm":s326ze97 said:
I have an early Nitro and a newer QR. I fought with the Nitro until I put KT88's in it. I put many different brands of EL34's in my Nitro before trying KT88's. Ruby EL34bstr's were pretty nice in the amp FWIW. However, KT88's made the the lows bigger and tighter. It opened up the amp and gave it more saturation. KT88's honestly made the Nitro go from good to great for me.

I see you are dealing Gold Lion KT88s now. In the Nitro...how do those compare to the SEDs, Sino, JJs?
I have not a/b'd them all yet. gsxrbusa bought a quad of them (and the GL KT77's recently) and he tried the Ruby's, SED's, Penta's, GL's...in his amps and said he liked the Gold Lion KT88's best. I will forward the thread to him for more insight... :)

ldm":2530kj6s said:
mhenson42":2530kj6s said:
DEWD":2530kj6s said:

ldm":2530kj6s said:

I have not a/b'd them all yet. gsxrbusa bought a quad of them (and the GL KT77's recently) and he tried the Ruby's, SED's, Penta's, GL's...in his amps and said he liked the Gold Lion KT88's best. I will forward the thread to him for more insight... :)

Hello! :rock:

mhenson42":2530kj6s said:
Yeah. I have the Kt88 Nitro - I love it alot more than the el34s. Just thinking about retubing and was considering the Gold Lions.

Yeah, I think I have tried most of the KT88's. I really think it depends on the amp for me. In my Herbert the Gold Lion and the SED sound almost identical. Now that the GL is cheaper I would go that route. I did not care for the Ruby in the Herbert as much.... a little on the stale/dull side to me. Not a bad tube in the right amp, I owned a KT88 Nitro and the Ruby sounded pretty awesome in that one.

SED and Penta KT88SC sounded great my VHT Pitbull Ultra Lead, I never got the chance to try the GL in the UL but I am sure it would have been great.

The Gold Lion, SED and Penta all sound great in my Peters Hydra. It's a really close call but still prefer the Gold Lion.

I am not a fan of anything JJ that I have tried. The Gold Lion KT77's kill the JJKT77 IMO. The JJ always ends up being dark to me but if dark is your thing then cool. I know we are not talking about 77's but thought I would throw that in there.

My money right now is on the Gold Lion. Great bottom end hit, smooth highs and mids are a bit more musical (if that makes any sense) I don't think mids are the KT88's strong suit, they are there obiviously, but not as crunchy as an EL34 of course. I find that a KT88 in a high gain amp just tightens the tone up and gives a more focused feel. This is all subjective as anything else. YMMV.

Been very pleased with the Gold Lion tubes so far. No issues and sound great. If you are use to running SED it will be very close.

I also buy everything from Valve Queen because I never have any issues with any tube I get. They are all within 2ma on everything I have bought. :thumbsup:

mhenson42":16d7shqd said:
DEWD":16d7shqd said:

ldm":16d7shqd said:

Hey now! :gethim:
:LOL: :LOL:

Back