Splawn vs Cornford.

BGG

Got serious GAS for a Cornford MK50 at the moment ;) been gigging my Quickrod for two years now and the BEST sounds I get from it are with my Peavey Wolfgangs.
Shame as my main guitars are Les Paul's due to playing in a Whitesnake tribute, these sound a bit harsher and thinner in comparison. I always find when i hit the 'solo' boost the sound seems to thin out more too for leadwork :( .... and no matter how I tweak and dial the QR it always seems maybe a bit harsh but this varies greatly from venue to venue.
I've got it into my head the MK50 will be a bit fatter, good rhythm sound with lush, searing, smooth leads.
Got the chance of a MK50 with a Cornford 4x12(V30's) but it's at the other end of the country so cannot try it.

Interested in ya thoughts and views guys !!

Cheers ...

Ainsley

Well, if it is the same Whitesnake cover band as those youtube clips, I will say you guys fucking rock!

Now, the splawn is one picky son of a bitch sometimes. Guitars and cabs make a huge difference in sound and feel with the Quickrod.

my QR plays with my ears sometimes too :confused: You just have to trust that it does indeed sound really good....because it really does :yes: Certain venues make it sound thin to me also...it has the punch, but lacks the fattness

...but it always sounds good out front ;)

Had both prefer the Cornford MK50 way more than the Splawn. It is one of the best amps I have ever played. I have owned 3 Splawns and they were all good amps, just tonally could not compete with the Cornford for my taste.......

krueger":2hvrjivn said:
Cornford! No question. More organic....better feel and overall better tone!

That's very subjective. I've played them in the same room, and liked the Splawn. Just depends on what you're looking for.

jcj":2hypoq16 said:
krueger":2hypoq16 said:
Cornford! No question. More organic....better feel and overall better tone!

That's very subjective. I've played them in the same room, and liked the Splawn. Just depends on what you're looking for.

I agree on the subjective part. I have been in the room with 3 Splawn Quickrods and a Competition. The Cornford was a much better overall amp IMHO. However tone is subjective and it really depends on what you are wanting, but Cornford gets my vote with a big +1000

SgtThump":8kv8rn51 said:
BGG":8kv8rn51 said:
...Shame as my main guitars are Les Paul's due to playing in a Whitesnake tribute, these sound a bit harsher and thinner in comparison. I always find when i hit the 'solo' boost the sound seems to thin out more too for leadwork :( .... and no matter how I tweak and dial the QR it always seems maybe a bit harsh but this varies greatly from venue to venue...

What pickups are in your Les Pauls and what speakers are in your cabs? The Quickrod is one of the best sounding '80s rock amp I've ever heard, but as with anything, the pickups in the guitar and speakers in the cab can make all of the difference in the world (I'm sure you know this - not trying to say you're stupid.)

Agreed with the bit about pickups and speakers. Something like a Rio Grande BBQ in the bridge of that Les Paul would significantly fatten the sound. If it's the stock Gibson pickups, I'm betting that's where the thinness is coming from. You might also try some Tom Anderson pickups (particularly the H2+) as they are very fat, open and even sounding.

:thumbsup: Hey ainsley, when I got my first splawn, and it was actually the first boutique head I ever owned, I had a room full of mostly cabs with vintage 30 speakers and les-pauls with stock burst bucker pick ups. I got nothing but vile,sharp tones. Obnoxious kinda thin tones. I tried a cab I had with greenback re-issues and that did make some difference, I even went to the bottom cab with original greenbacks and that made some difference, but in the end, the stock les-paul pick-ups were the problem. :yes: I loaded 1 paul with the rio-grande in the bridge and the texas in the neck. I loaded 1 paul with gibson 57 classics, I loaded 1 paul with alnico pro-II's at that time. Case solved. I was telling Nick on the phone just tonite that way back when all I had was a room full of marshall amps, the v-30's were the bomb, but now with a room of Elmwood, bogner, splawn, Cameron modded marshall's and marshall silver jubilee and even original 68 plexi, I don't have a v-30 loaded cab in the room and only 1 top slant cab. The only v-30 loaded cab I got left is at work in the office because I have NO USE FOR IT. :rock: Hope you get what you want. Splawns are awesome for what they do, but you know that. Then again, Cornfords are a amazing as well. Tough call. :confused: But I talked to Josh Sage today at work as well and we also talked about the Rk-100 Cornford, Just like Nick and I talked about this same amp. KILLER, BUT PRICEY! Good luck. :rock:

Variable":klzfmlq5 said:
SgtThump":klzfmlq5 said:
BGG":klzfmlq5 said:
...Shame as my main guitars are Les Paul's due to playing in a Whitesnake tribute, these sound a bit harsher and thinner in comparison. I always find when i hit the 'solo' boost the sound seems to thin out more too for leadwork :( .... and no matter how I tweak and dial the QR it always seems maybe a bit harsh but this varies greatly from venue to venue...

What pickups are in your Les Pauls and what speakers are in your cabs? The Quickrod is one of the best sounding '80s rock amp I've ever heard, but as with anything, the pickups in the guitar and speakers in the cab can make all of the difference in the world (I'm sure you know this - not trying to say you're stupid.)

Agreed with the bit about pickups and speakers. Something like a Rio Grande BBQ in the bridge of that Les Paul would significantly fatten the sound. If it's the stock Gibson pickups, I'm betting that's where the thinness is coming from. You might also try some Tom Anderson pickups (particularly the H2+) as they are very fat, open and even sounding.
+100 percent. I agree with you.

I had QR and MK50 at the same time. I still have MK. I prefer it BY FAR.

But the tones are so far apart that I can't really say get this or get that. You just gotta try out for yourself.

It's kind of Apples and Oranges tone wise, but the Cornford is more complex for sure. Its got all the gain you could ever want, but it still sounds 'open" where at least to me, the Splawn's get really compressed and dont "breathe" as much. My 2 cents.

Hi guys,
Cheers for all the comments and input, really appreciate it, so much info on here it's great.

My main guitar is my 1979 Custom fitted with BKP Cold Sweats, really nice pups and my other is my 1990 Custom with Gibson pups, not sure what as I ain't had them out yet, but they are nice, have a certain 'growl' about them. I use this guitar second set as I get less solos and it's great for rhythm and chunking away and nice neck pup too for Is This Love.
My Marshall is a bog standard 1960A with GT75's and I have a 2x12 with V30's, both are real bright, the Cornford I have a chance of has a V30 - 4x12 with it, they are supposed to be a good match.

BGG":mul5qqo2 said:
Hi guys,
Cheers for all the comments and input, really appreciate it, so much info on here it's great.

My main guitar is my 1979 Custom fitted with BKP Cold Sweats, really nice pups and my other is my 1990 Custom with Gibson pups, not sure what as I ain't had them out yet, but they are nice, have a certain 'growl' about them. I use this guitar second set as I get less solos and it's great for rhythm and chunking away and nice neck pup too for Is This Love.
My Marshall is a bog standard 1960A with GT75's and I have a 2x12 with V30's, both are real bright, the Cornford I have a chance of has a V30 - 4x12 with it, they are supposed to be a good match.
I did like V30's in Cornford 4x12 than any other cab but that's not saying much on my part since I hate V30's with a passion. It's a taste thing ofcourse...

I swapped my V30's with 2xG12T75's and 2x2xG12C's. Result is ridiculously good for my taste :D

But yeah Cornford cabs kick ass. I've never understood how Cornford can justify the extra dough for their cabs until I bought mine from Kurt.

Good news guys, I'm getting a lend of a MK50 for a month :rock: our other guitarists ex bandmate has one, so he told me to take if for a while .....oooOOOooo .... can't wait !! :D :rock:

That's great; update the thread with your findings. I'm curious to know how this works out.

Great band btw, Mr. Coverdale isn't going to like your singer I think...

Giga.

Back