Staoneage 4x12 cabs are discontinued?

Thanks to a couple RT members for the heads up on this thread. Yes, I am suspending (new orders) production of the 4x12B until further notice.

Costs for lower 48 shipping a "PROPERLY PACKED" 412 (loaded OR unloaded) have skyrocketed out of control and out of reach for many folks.

IN ADDITION TO the usual transportation base rate (and all of those associated charges), the following SURCHARGES apply and are currently in effect:
~ OSx3 carton + $160.00 - $200.00 !!! - depends on your location
~ "Peak Oversize" + $39.50
~ Fuel + $55.00 - $68.00 - again, depending on your lower 48 location.

And that's not even taking into consideration the ever rising costs of quality packing materials.

Couple the above with balancing inventory: Russian birch ply has proven to be a difficult find since the invasion of Ukraine. In addition, those birch (and poplar for cleats) prices have skyrocketed. For the most part, I build my cabinet models in "runs", so it doesn't make much sense to have 412's jointed/assembled and on the shelf, and have those cabs sit unsold because many folks simply cannot afford today's ridiculously high shipping costs. And I refuse to simply throw a 412 into a carton with no or minimal internal protection just to cut that shipping cost in roughly half. Doing so will result in zero chance a damage claim will be honored. And I can almost guarantee there will be damage.

I am looking into shipping alternatives, but it ain't looking good. FedEx refuses to budge on rates, and for almost 3 months, I have been hounding UPS to have an actual sales rep contact me. Seems they don't give a shit about adding an additional customer.

Having said all that, a few 4x12B's which are already in production will be added to the FS page on the website in the coming months. But, they will be for pick up at the shop only-no shipping.

For anyone with questions, please contact me via the website-I don't frequent the forums all that much.

https://stoneagecustomcabinets.com/contact-us
Thanks very much.

John

Thanks to a couple RT members for the heads up on this thread. Yes, I am suspending (new orders) production of the 4x12B until further notice.

Costs for lower 48 shipping a "PROPERLY PACKED" 412 (loaded OR unloaded) have skyrocketed out of control and out of reach for many folks.

IN ADDITION TO the usual transportation base rate (and all of those associated charges), the following SURCHARGES apply and are currently in effect:

And that's not even taking into consideration the ever rising costs of quality packing materials.

Couple the above with balancing inventory: Russian birch ply has proven to be a difficult find since the invasion of Ukraine. In addition, those birch (and poplar for cleats) prices have skyrocketed. For the most part, I build my cabinet models in "runs", so it doesn't make much sense to have 412's jointed/assembled and on the shelf, and have those cabs sit unsold because many folks simply cannot afford today's ridiculously high shipping costs. And I refuse to simply throw a 412 into a carton with no or minimal internal protection just to cut that shipping cost in roughly half. Doing so will result in zero chance a damage claim will be honored. And I can almost guarantee there will be damage.

I am looking into shipping alternatives, but it ain't looking good. FedEx refuses to budge on rates, and for almost 3 months, I have been hounding UPS to have an actual sales rep contact me. Seems they don't give a shit about adding an additional customer.

Having said all that, a few 4x12B's which are already in production will be added to the FS page on the website in the coming months. But, they will be for pick up at the shop only-no shipping.

For anyone with questions, please contact me via the website-I don't frequent the forums all that much.

Thanks very much.

John
Sorry for your troubles. You make some nice cabs.

I just started using Pirateship. it uses commercial pricing for ups and usps.
I just calculated a 40 x 40 x 22 box weighing 120 pound from Connecticut to California as $262.30 for UPS ground.
Not sure if this is better or worse, but it might be an option. I use pirateship now to save on shipping costs.
1681911343081.png

Thanks very much.

John
Have you looked into pirate ship? A company I bought tubes from here shipped tubes to me using them and claimed they don’t have the markup that UPS charges but my stuff was still sent UPS.

Edit: I see others have mentioned it already too.

Interesting perspective on the business. The very carriers consumers put on the map are changing the face of business. No longer are the products the primary deciding factor. What a shame. Back to local suppliers just like the '60's. I do wish prosperity to all those that produce custom music products.

Back