Starting point for DSL40CR and Fractal FM3 80s Metal Settings?

WhiteShadow

Got a small festival coming up in July. Just trying to get my gear dialed. All 80s glam tunes from VH, Ratt skid Row, Crue, etc... Gear is:

DSL40CR
SD-1
Charvel Pro Mod 2013 HH San Dimas
Jackson Dinky (a nicer one with JB/59)
Wolfgang Special
I've also got a Fractal FM3, but not sure if I'm going to try to use it as my amp sounds, or try to use the marshall and FM3 for effects. I have trouble with the FM# bc I'm just lost on even how to use it properly, so maybe that's something else we can discuss in this thread.

Not really satisfied with the tones I've come up with so far, but admittedly it's probably this room I'm in. I'm cranking it up to gig volumes while dialing.

Just wondering if you guys could help me with some starting points with the Marshall or even the FM3? One of my biggest issues it every tone seems to be either too much or not enough. Can't find that sweet spot.

For rhythm tones or lead tones? with any of the normal marshalls (I.E., not the jube, thats a different animal) with humbuckers I start out with BMT at 4-5-6, 5-5-6, or 6-5-6, gain at 7-8/10 on 800 or noon on a DSL or 900, boost with a tube screamer with standard volume up gain down tone at noon or 1 o clock.

What type of pedalboard are you running?

I would only use the FM3 at a gig (4cm?) once you're really familiar with it. If you aren't, I wouldn't even use it for effects at a gig, unless you've got some serious time before the gig to get learned about it.

Put a Greenback in that amp, for starters. The stock one socks. That should get you in better shape right off the bat!

Learn the FM3..I have an FM9 and can't bothered to use amps ever again. It does have a bit of a learning curve but check out Cooper Carters FM3 masterclass, its well worth the 99 bucks!!

Just a clarification, I do understand the basics of how to use the FM3 unit, but as far as dialing in tones, thats kind of where I’m lost. Seems like a billion different parameters, highly dependent on what you’re running it through, etc… That’s where I really need help. Maybe some baseline settings for a good heavy 80s hot rodded marshall tone if I’m running it into the effects return of my dsl?

When it comes to live performances, I’m one to just dial in a good basic tone, and kind of stick with that. I don’t stomp on a lot of pedals, or dial-in separate tones for different things. I roll the volume down if I want it to be cleaner, etc., so I’m trying to dial in with that in mind

When I run the fm3 through the return of my marshal the highs just sound so over the top, bright, brittle. Theres no tightness. It just seems tough to work with

check out the leon todd 5 minute tones on you tube
Rosh Roslin fm3 basics series or the Cooper Carter stuff mentioned above
I would just grab a Friedman or 2204 and let it rip

I get frustrated with the fm3 and give up kimd of quick. I wonder if its just bc I need to get a headrush frfr cab and start using it with IRs? Thats probably the way it was designed to be used

Tones just sound….. glassy? (Not sure if thats the right term, but thats the word that springs to mind when I hear it). I’m looking for that chunkier, tighter sound on the low notes, but the fm3 just doesn’t really seem to do it. Trying to find a good all around tone for rhythm and lead.

If I were to describe the kind of tone I’m trying to get the closest thing would be like sound of that Bogren Ampknob BHD 5169 plugin. If I could get my live tone to sound like that I’d be cookin!

frfr has its own idiosyncracies
I would think it would be easiiest to get a good tone going into effects return
How is your input signal/tickling the red?
Maybe post patch on fractal forum

The reason I go back to just trying to use the amp is bc its just made to be simpler. You just plug up, dial it, and let it go. Might put the fm3 aside for now

For rhythm tones or lead tones? with any of the normal marshalls (I.E., not the jube, thats a different animal) with humbuckers I start out with BMT at 4-5-6, 5-5-6, or 6-5-6, gain at 7-8/10 on 800 or noon on a DSL or 900, boost with a tube screamer with standard volume up gain down tone at noon or 1 o clock.

What type of pedalboard are you running?

I would only use the FM3 at a gig (4cm?) once you're really familiar with it. If you aren't, I wouldn't even use it for effects at a gig, unless you've got some serious time before the gig to get learned about it.
What about presence/resonance? How do you set the master volume/channel volume for live? Are you using the red or green (OD1/OD2) channel? Thanks!

I use them as backline normally

For jcm2000s, green channel, new dsls red channel - either way, gain around noon. For super hot pickups maybe shading around 11 o clock, PAF pickups shading around 1 or 2 o clock

Obviously channel volumes depend on the gig and the monitoring, but either way almost always set my channel volume to at least 11 o clock and the master as loud as I can get away with - I never use the channel switching on these amps live as backline so I don't balance them. Just turn off the boost pedals and knock my volume knob for cleans.

Presence resonance depends completely on the room and cabinet, but generally presence a shade under noon, depth switch always off on jcm2000s, depth either at noon for v30s or 10 o clock for t75s

Ive never used that warehouse speaker before, nor have I used the DSL combo before, just heads and cabinets, so I have no idea how my exact settings are gonna play out though.

I would imagine it's a decent starting point though because almost every metal or punk guy I know who uses Marshalls for backline does something similar

Love the DSL40. Both my son and I use it for smaller gigs and practice. If you know how to set it up and dial it, you can get a pretty crushing '80's tone. Here's a vid from a little thing we did Sat night. You can kinda hear the isolated tone at the beginning. I'm on the right.

Wicked DSL

Last edited:
Back