Streaming music services.

N

Nigel

I used Apple Music for the longest because great integration, sharability, lyrics, etc.

But OH MAH GAWD Tidal and Qobuz got the high Q Flac action happening!

Qobuz is kinda laggy and buggy, but cool.

Tidal has me hooked atm. With a good interface and monitors (SPL Crimson V3/Focal Alpha 80's & sub) I can't get away from it! Just listening joy.

What do you guise use?

256-bit AAC is legit but cannot outshine the based chad FLAC. Science has been settled for nearly 20 years.

You can use FLAC, MP3, AAC, WAV, AIFF and ALAC amongst others in iTunes IIRC.

I'm happy with 320kbps MP3 converted with L.A.M.E. The minuscule differences between that and FLAC are far outweighed by the one-quarter file size. FLAC, APE, WAV and so on would blow my library out to something I'd need more and much-larger drives to store and back up to; they're just not practical for this monkey.

If you're streaming it doesn't matter of course, so I'm happy for you that you're experiencing such great quality.

My "get off my lawn" attitude stems from my innate distrust of digital services and internet reliability. With my home-based iTunes library I can enjoy it come rain or shine, Hell or high water.

Last edited:
Shit I just steal any old albums off You Tube now and only buy CD's of new albums from bands I like..I figure I have spent thousands of dollars on albums in the 80's/90's early 00's that i have since lost or sold that I don't need to pay a streaming service money that doesn't go back to the artist anyway

You can use FLAC, MP3, AAC, WAV, AIFF and God knows what else in iTunes.

I'm happy with 320kbps MP3 converted with L.A.M.E. The minuscule differences between that and FLAC are far outweighed by the one-quarter file size. FLAC, APE, WAV and so on would blow my library out to something I'd need more and much-larger drives to store and back up to; they're just not practical for this monkey.

If you're streaming it doesn't matter of course, so I'm happy for you that you're experiencing such great quality.

My "get off my lawn" attitude stems from my innate distrust of digital services and internet reliability. With my home-based iTunes library I can enjoy it come rain or shine, Hell or high water.
Flac in iTunes?

Yep. Fluke for Mac allows you to access them from within iTunes:

Fluke for Mac is a small OS X utility that lets you listen to your FLAC files right within iTunes without needing to convert anything. Simply feed your FLACs into it and watch the magic happen.

Fluke for Mac - Download

The obvious alternative would be to convert them to ALAC. Same file size, no loss of quality.

Yep. Fluke for Mac allows you to access them from within iTunes:

Fluke for Mac is a small OS X utility that lets you listen to your FLAC files right within iTunes without needing to convert anything. Simply feed your FLACs into it and watch the magic happen.

Fluke for Mac - Download

The obvious alternative would be to convert them to ALAC. Same file size, no loss of quality.
You are legend!

Back