Suhr Reactive Load?

Bakonshakin

So, what's yall think about the Suhr RL box? Pete Thorn uses it in a ton of his videos and he gets great sounds. Any feedback? Thanks!

I have one and absolutely love it! I do not use it for recording or use IRs with it. I use it to load my amps and then run through mixer and effects and then into stereo, so it's a slaved/re-amp type of rig. I have used it with my Bray 4550, Soldano SLO, and BE-100. IT works great with all of them. The best thing I can say about the Reactive Load is that it's hard to tell it is there at all. The feel and sound is very natural. It's a great piece of gear for that purpose.

Jayy":ua5lax7v said:
I have one and absolutely love it! I do not use it for recording or use IRs with it. I use it to load my amps and then run through mixer and effects and then into stereo, so it's a slaved/re-amp type of rig. I have used it with my Bray 4550, Soldano SLO, and BE-100. IT works great with all of them. The best thing I can say about the Reactive Load is that it's hard to tell it is there at all. The feel and sound is very natural. It's a great piece of gear for that purpose.

So, can you please explain why you need to load the amp before hitting the mixer? After effects you're going into 2 cabs right? So, shouldn't the mixer just act like another eq pedal and amp not have to be loaded. Thanks man!

Yes, I'm going into two cabs on my stereo rig. Loading the amp then re-amping does two things for me. First, it lets me run the amp at a higher volume to get more girth, fullness, and sustain out of it (aka better tone). This is the same thing it the reactive load is doing for those that want to run loud amps or amps with no master volume silently then take the line out signal from the reactive load and into their DAW and IR.

Second, the line out signal from the reactive load goes into my splitter to split the signal up and from there the unprocessed pure dry signal goes into one channel of my mixer and each other split signals from the splitter go into my rack effects and each of those come out processed in stereo and go into stereo channels on my mixer. Then I can blend everything together in parallel with my dry signal however I want in stereo. I can control how much dry and how much wet from each effects processor is going into each cabinet and how it is mixed. Then, this is sent to my stereo power amp and re-amped giving me TOTAL control of volume level of everything.

So, the reactive load lets me run the amp volume in it's sweet spot and the splitter, mixer and Matrix power amp give me total control of dry and effects mix on each side, total stereo and panning control of dry and wet, and total control of volume level from whisper level to screaming loud. I hope that makes sense. I'm not the best at explaining that stuff.

Jayy":ciw0zg8k said:
Yes, I'm going into two cabs on my stereo rig. Loading the amp then re-amping does two things for me. First, it lets me run the amp at a higher volume to get more girth, fullness, and sustain out of it (aka better tone). This is the same thing it the reactive load is doing for those that want to run loud amps or amps with no master volume silently then take the line out signal from the reactive load and into their DAW and IR.

Second, the line out signal from the reactive load goes into my splitter to split the signal up and from there the unprocessed pure dry signal goes into one channel of my mixer and each other split signals from the splitter go into my rack effects and each of those come out processed in stereo and go into stereo channels on my mixer. Then I can blend everything together in parallel with my dry signal however I want in stereo. I can control how much dry and how much wet from each effects processor is going into each cabinet and how it is mixed. Then, this is sent to my stereo power amp and re-amped giving me TOTAL control of volume level of everything.

So, the reactive load lets me run the amp volume in it's sweet spot and the splitter, mixer and Matrix power amp give me total control of dry and effects mix on each side, total stereo and panning control of dry and wet, and total control of volume level from whisper level to screaming loud. I hope that makes sense. I'm not the best at explaining that stuff.

I have 3 questions.
1)What cabs are these? Guitar cabs or studio monitors?
2)And what kind of splitter and mixer is this? Can you show us a link? Whats the model name?
3)If i understand you one of both mono signals out of the splitter goes into your stereo effects processor and the Output of the effects processor is stereo into mixer, right?

born_hard":3dewe8i9 said:
Jayy":3dewe8i9 said:

I have 3 questions.
2)And what kind of splitter and mixer is this? Can you show us a link? Whats the model name?
3)If i understand you one of both mono signals out of the splitter goes into your stereo effects processor and the Output of the effects processor is stereo into mixer, right?

1. Usually I'm running it into two 2X12 Avatar contemporary closed back cabs loaded with 65 watt Scumback M75-PVCs. So, it is guitar cabs and speakers. No IR is needed if you are doing this.
2. The splitter is a Rane SM26 mixer/splitter. The mixer is a Rane SM82S stereo mixer.
3. Not exactly. My first mono signal goes from the reactive load to the Rane SM26 which splits it up to 6 times. one of those splits goes dry (no effects added) to one channel of my Rane SM82 stereo mixer and gets split into stereo and sent to both cabs. So, that gives me the dry on both sides and control of how loud it is and panning to each side if I want. Each of the other splits from the Rane SM26 goes into a different processor (right now I have a TC D-two delay, a Lexicon MX400, an old Eventide H910, and an Eventide Pitchfactor in my little rack) and the output of those processors each go into their own channel of the SM82 stereo mixer which gives me total control of panning, volume, etc of each of those and how much is mixed into the overall outputs (this is called running the effects in parallel). Then the overall outputs of the SM82 stereo mixer (there are two outputs, a left and a right) are sent to each side of my two channel Matrix GT1000FX stereo power amp and each side is sent to it's 2X12 cabinet (left and right). And that is it. It's really not that complicated. You need to have all of your effects running in kill dry (output on processors needs to be 100% wet) and balance all of your mix levels of each. Gain staging and balancing your mix amounts is the critical part to getting it to sound good.

Jayy":3g6g5ndk said:
born_hard":3g6g5ndk said:
Jayy":3g6g5ndk said:

I have 3 questions.

1. Usually I'm running it into two 2X12 Avatar contemporary closed back cabs loaded with 65 watt Scumback M75-PVCs. So, it is guitar cabs and speakers. No IR is needed if you are doing this.
2. The splitter is a Rane SM26 mixer/splitter. The mixer is a Rane SM82S stereo mixer.
3. Not exactly. My first mono signal goes from the reactive load to the Rane SM26 which splits it up to 6 times. one of those splits goes dry (no effects added) to one channel of my Rane SM82 stereo mixer and gets split into stereo and sent to both cabs. So, that gives me the dry on both sides and control of how loud it is and panning to each side if I want. Each of the other splits from the Rane SM26 goes into a different processor (right now I have a TC D-two delay, a Lexicon MX400, an old Eventide H910, and an Eventide Pitchfactor in my little rack) and the output of those processors each go into their own channel of the SM82 stereo mixer which gives me total control of panning, volume, etc of each of those and how much is mixed into the overall outputs (this is called running the effects in parallel). Then the overall outputs of the SM82 stereo mixer (there are two outputs, a left and a right) are sent to each side of my two channel Matrix GT1000FX stereo power amp and each side is sent to it's 2X12 cabinet (left and right). And that is it. It's really not that complicated. You need to have all of your effects running in kill dry (output on processors needs to be 100% wet) and balance all of your mix levels of each. Gain staging and balancing your mix amounts is the critical part to getting it to sound good.

Thats a killer setup. These are good informations, i can use em. I just dont understand your sentence: one of those splits goes dry (no effects added) to one channel of my Rane SM82 stereo mixer and gets split into stereo and sent to both cabs The signal out of the SUhr is a lInelevel signal. You need an amplifier to power the speakers. The mixer doesnt have a built in amplifier.
And do you send both, the dry and wet signals to both speakers? Wouldnt be better different speakers for Wet and the Dry signals, like DWD or DW or DWDW?? I mean you need more channels in your amplifier the more speakers are used, but thats the way i know these Wet/Dry setups.

If you want to run a dry cab and also send a signal to re amp or slave into another cab, David Bray sells a line out box for 50. It has a speaker through for your dry signal and a line out jack that you run into your wet system. Ground lift also. I use it and it works great. Have to have a load connected though.

born_hard":2gtmhgza said:
Jayy":2gtmhgza said:
born_hard":2gtmhgza said:
Jayy":2gtmhgza said:

I have 3 questions.

Thats a killer setup. These are good informations, i can use em. I just dont understand your sentence: one of those splits goes dry (no effects added) to one channel of my Rane SM82 stereo mixer and gets split into stereo and sent to both cabs The signal out of the SUhr is a lInelevel signal. You need an amplifier to power the speakers. The mixer doesnt have a built in amplifier.
And do you send both, the dry and wet signals to both speakers? Wouldnt be better different speakers for Wet and the Dry signals, like DWD or DW or DWDW?? I mean you need more channels in your amplifier the more speakers are used, but thats the way i know these Wet/Dry setups.

The line level signal out of the reactive load goes through EVERYTHING at line level until it reaches the Matrix power amp and gets amplified and then sent to the speaker cabs. Splitter, effects processors, mixer, wet signals, dry signal, all of it stays at line level and gets mixed in parallel in the SM82. Then the SM82 sends two channel signals (a left and a right) out to the two channels of the power amp where they are amplified and sent to the cabs. It isn't wet/dry, or wet/dry/wet. It's pure stereo with dry in both cabs as well as wet in both cabs.

Jayy":36q2h49q said:
The line level signal out of the reactive load goes through EVERYTHING at line level until it reaches the Matrix power amp and gets amplified and then sent to the speaker cabs. Splitter, effects processors, mixer, wet signals, dry signal, all of it stays at line level and gets mixed in parallel in the SM82. Then the SM82 sends two channel signals (a left and a right) out to the two channels of the power amp where they are amplified and sent to the cabs. It isn't wet/dry, or wet/dry/wet. It's pure stereo with dry in both cabs as well as wet in both cabs.

What if you had like 3 Eventide factor pedals and an SL67
Could you use the reactive load to feed the 3 of of the pedals in a series chain?
Does the Matrix sound Amp like enough?
Do you really need the Rane?
Thanks

bubba":3t6wa6mx said:
Jayy":3t6wa6mx said:

What if you had like 3 Eventide factor pedals and an SL67
Could you use the reactive load to feed the 3 of of the pedals in a series chain?
Does the Matrix sound Amp like enough?
Do you really need the Rane?
Thanks

You could do that, but running them in series is a lot of AD/DA conversion and you still have to deal with wet/dry mix issues in the pedals. Using a splitter to feed dry to a mixer and to feed the pedals (or whatever effects you want) and then blending them in with the dry signal in parallel with a mixer is a lot better and more versatile. With my mixer I can blend whatever I want, however I want, increase or decrease volume and mix on whatever I want, and pan effects to both sides, either side, etc. as I want. Much cleaner and more versatile. So, yes I really need the Rane.

The Matrix is great for re-amping. It is solid state, but is very clean, clear, powerful, and full range and flat response. It also sounds warm. It amplifies and reproduces everything really well without coloring it greatly. A tube power amp can be used as well, but I already captured the tube power section of my head in the signal coming from my reactive load, so my power amp just needs to reproduce it well without coloring it further. The Matrix GT1000FX has worked great for this. I've been very happy with it.

Back