Sweetwater - going downhill fast

My father has only purchased one guitar like 8 years ago. Somehow he has went through like 30 guitars since then.....on that one purchase.

It's awful. It's not that he is cheap or doesn't want to keep buying, it's that he always finds something he doesn't like about a guitar.

My father has only purchased one guitar like 8 years ago. Somehow he has went through like 30 guitars since then.....on that one purchase.

It's awful. It's not that he is cheap or doesn't want to keep buying, it's that he always finds something he doesn't like about a guitar.
That’s insane. He keeps returning them? I’d have 86’ed him 25 guitars ago

On a Saturday? Cmon now

IMG_6854.jpg

my SW rep was super. I bought an EVH EL34 Stealth

Showed up. plugged in and turned on. immediately, 3 preamp tubes blew. Called him up, and the next afternoon there was a brand new one on my front porch.

GC- sucks. kids trying to pawn crappy brands off on me every time I walk in. There is ONE guy that has been with GC in North Houston named Shawn Harold. been there since 2001. sold me my first two triple recs. he is the only one I deal with. he respects the game and treats his customers right.

I swear it's because I return 75% of stuff I buy on there. They send me demos now, when I purchased new. Happened the last 3 orders. They have a "no hassle" return policy and I'm not afraid to use it. I've spent over 20k there in the past 2 years.

Same story every time now. "Must have been a mixup at the warehouse." They said that to me the past 3 orders.

But I guess they are still better than MF and the rest of them. Last time I called MF and asked a technical question, the guy had no idea what I was talking about. My SW sales guy doesn't know everything, but when I ask a specific question (and it's usually a deep dive sort of question) they get me an answer.
Does Sweetwater charge a restock fee if you send it back? How much is it? They probably charge shipping coming and going if you send it back too?

Companies like Sweetwater, MF and AMS very well keep track of who the serial returners are. In some cases they have actually stopped doing business with those customers.
Doesn’t sound like sweetwater takes this seriously lol.

Does Sweetwater charge a restock fee if you send it back? How much is it? They probably charge shipping coming and going if you send it back too?
Yeah sometimes I have to eat the shipping. But I purchase a lot of expensive stuff, so the sales guy is still making cash.

My sales rep just left the company, had the same person for 15+ years. Not sure is this is a sign of things to come or just him pursuing other opportunities.

Never a bad SW experience here either. I'm also not a serial returner... Don't recall that I've ever returned anything in 20+ years other than Line 6 Duoverb to GC. That thing blew!

I'm working in northern IN next week and plan to visit SW's campus next Sat. I have money burning a hole in my pocket, but don't really need anything unless it jumps out at me.

Sweetwater Card paid off again. They still owe me a Guv’nor. Not gonna buy anything more from them this year…..I think.

Candy going downhill a bit lately. New ownership I suppose. My rep is still there and doesn’t ever call me. This is not a bad thing. GC on the other hand calls me all the time. Sweetwater gets nothing from me now unless Behringer drops an OSCar clone which was supposed to happen in 2017 and still hasn’t so I’m not holding my breath.

I just bought an Orange Guitar Butler preamp off a dealer in Australia for $280 brand new so Sweetwater’s $430 price was way too steep.

I like Sweetwater service ok, but won’t ever buy a guitar from them again. Tried a few times and that 55 point inspection BS is just too over the top and obviously didn’t happen for the 4 guitars I had to return. Bought two unfixable and the two replacements at two different times were identical unfixable issues as the first sample they sent. I 5 point inspection would have found the issues let alone 55 point inspection. I’ve bought a ton of gear from them in the last 15 years though. Most of the stuff has been great.

Sweetwater has always done right by me. I was in sales for a long time and I'm fine with Sweetwater reps calling. They've never tried to pressure me.

What's wild for me, when an amp manufacturer basically screwed me and I was stuck with an amp I did not want, Sweetwater took it back for full credit well after the warranty period. They had no reason to do so, other than to help me when they heard my story and how messed up Hughes and Kettner treated me. Was POS amp anyway so I was glad for be rid of it, but still. So yeah, Sweetwater has always been the best to buy from IME and I have used all of the major ones at this point.
Sweetwater has always done right by me. I was in sales for a long time and I'm fine with Sweetwater reps calling. They've never tried to pressure me.

Back