Switching between 7 string and 6 string

Will Onyx

I got a 7 string a few years ago and initially struggled with playing it. The guitar just felt so strange with the wider neck and closer string spacing vs a regular 6. After several months of forcing myself to only play the 7, I started getting along with it better. Several years later, I still play much better on a 6. If I’m playing a 6 string for a couple weeks and then grab the 7, it takes me a while to adjust back to it. Anyone else have this problem?

I mostly play 8s but can adjust back to a 7 after a few moments to get over the shock of the narrower neck. But I use guitars with Floyds so I think the string spacing tends to be about the same between 6, 7, and 8 (at least at the bridge). I haven't picked up a 6-string in a long time but presumably could do fine.

I had to stop wrapping my thumb over the top of the neck, but once I made that adjustment they all seem fine. My thumb now only sneaks over for a big bend or vibrato but quickly goes back to the center of the neck, which helps make the width of the neck largely irrelevant to me.

The string spacing on my schecter 7s is not really any closer than standard style 6 strings. I think it’s really guitar dependent though

A lot depends on the neck of the 7 for me. I’ve got 3 seven strings right now and the necks are only a little thicker than my 6’s. It was harder with thick necks though. But I think mainly is when I stopped playing differently on 7’s, meaning I used to pick up a7 string and try to play more complicated stuff and heavier. When I started just playing the same stuff I’d normally play on my 6 it got easier, also easier to incorporate the extra string.

First time i played an 8 string, it just felt natural. Love 7 string feel with the wide neck. Scale changes don't mess with me. I think maybe it is because I was newish to guitar when i made the steps to more strings/longer scales.

I'm a bassist. You guys think you have to adjust?!

I go from bass to guitar to ukulele enough to be comfortable on each. It's piano keys that really throw me off. The keyboard player in my band tells me it's because all of the keys are black on my MIDI controller. I just tell him to fuck off, because it looks cool.

I started with the Keith Merow KM7mkII as my first 7. The way I play I had some big stretches to do. I then sold it and got the Ibanez Prestige RG752ahm and the 25.5 scale length was much better for me. Liked it a lot more. That said, after playing 7 for about 5 years, I turned the Ibanez too. I just own 6 string axes now. I just am not nearly as inspired writing songs on a 7. So it sat unless I was learning a cover or something. And I also figured even though I don't like playing in dropped tunings, I can do drop B, or Drop B# with two of my guitars anyway if I would like.

Sounds like the problem is me! My 7 string is a schecter with the ultra thin neck, Floyd rose and 25.5 scale. There’s not a more ‘natural’ feeling 7 string I’ve come across. Maybe I’m a bit mental with it.

So here is my 7 string update.

Yes, the problem is me and it is absolutely mental. I changed out the low b string to make it black (from a set of DR black beauties) while the rest of the strings are regular. After doing that, everything fell into place. No more struggling with grabbing jazz chords in the right place and such. Having played 6 string for so long, glancing down and seeing that extra string was constantly throwing off my point of reference. This fixes that be creating a clear grouping of 6.

Back