Synergy folks, syn-50 vs Mesa 2:90 or other power amp.

endofall

So, I took a dive into the synergy world with a syn-1 set up and a couple of modules and honestly think they sound great. My only complaint is that they do seem to lack a little in low end or lack in the overall largeness I would expect. I have tried running the syn-1 in a couple of different ways as a result of this, for example, using a fryette ps-100, into the fx loop of my Ceriatone yeti, and into the loop of a Mesa dual rectifier. Without a doubt the modules sound better and bigger through both the yeti and the Mesa. However I still find the actual amps to be larger sounding than any module running into them. So my question is, would a dedicated power amp such as Mesa 2:90 resolve this issue or would the syn-50 itself be a better option, allowing it to function as a single head unit.

Last edited:
Definitely consider a fryette LXII. Really nice poweramp. My only beef with it is the fan is a bit loud.

Help us help, and define the problem better first. Larger? Are you looking for more low end? What modules? Preamps are pretty simple beasts and they've pretty much just copied the exact circuit. If all is functioning well. there is no reason they should sound small.

We have a bunch of modules, and into the loop of a similar (or the original) amp, they sound near identical. As they should - a Synergy BE preamp is just an actual BE preamp in a different format, or close enough not to matter.

Could well be the Syn1 or some other problem, hard to say. Have you been through much troubleshooting? Don't go buying a power amp until you do, sounds like it won't fix the problem.

Help us help, and define the problem better first. Larger? Are you looking for more low end? What modules? Preamps are pretty simple beasts and they've pretty much just copied the exact circuit. If all is functioning well. there is no reason they should sound small.

We have a bunch of modules, and into the loop of a similar (or the original) amp, they sound near identical. As they should - a Synergy BE preamp is just an actual BE preamp in a different format, or close enough not to matter.

Could well be the Syn1 or some other problem, hard to say. Have you been through much troubleshooting? Don't go buying a power amp until you do, sounds like it won't fix the problem.
Well, it does not have the level of low end that either the yeti or rectifier has but it’s not as simple as that either. Both the yeti and the rectifier fill out the room more in a band mix outside of just the lows, which is what I was referring too. I guess the mids seem more present, It’s kind of hard to explain. I have rolled a couple of preamp tubes in the syn-1 to see if it would improve it but honestly didn’t notice much of a change. The syn-1 seems fully functional with no issues at all. The models ive tried are bogner Uberschall, engl powerball, and diezel vh4 and by no means do these sound small it’s just when comparing directly to an amp that it’s noticeable which is why I was wondering if something like a Mesa 2:90 would help or possibly a syn-50

I’ve been exactly where you are. No if it a mess 290 and 5050 and had the syn. The Mesa sounds like you would want.

I sold my synergy stuff since then and have a 290 if you are interested.

This might be a stupid question, but these Synergy pre-amps are solid state, right?
No. I run mine through a Randall RT2/50. Sounds great . I love the whole Synergy thing but it does seem weird to basically be running a rack unit when I really am an amplifier head guy.

This might be a stupid question, but these Synergy pre-amps are solid state, right?
No it’s all tube. It’s a hell of an idea and honestly does sound good. I just am finding a bit of difference in between it and just an amp set up and it could be tubes, etc causing this. However I have rolled some more 12ax7 through my syn-1 and didn’t improve so I don’t think that’s it.

No. I run mine through a Randall RT2/50. Sounds great . I love the whole Synergy thing but it does seem weird to basically be running a rack unit when I really am an amplifier head guy.
I’ve been looking for rt 2/50. They seem pretty universally loved for this set up. I’ve also been looking for a peavey classic 120/120

The Mesa 2:90 will make everything sound bigger. The deep mod can cure thin low-end easily. But it still will be different from the real amp I guess.

The Mesa 2:90 will make everything sound bigger. The deep mod can cure thin low-end easily. But it still will be different from the real amp I guess.
I’m not really looking for it to be the same as the real amp it’s based off of. I understand that the synergy system can only get you but so far. My biggest thing I’m fighting is really the fact that it doesn’t seem quite as “big, full” in a band mix as an actual amp.

No it’s all tube. It’s a hell of an idea and honestly does sound good. I just am finding a bit of difference in between it and just an amp set up and it could be tubes, etc causing this. However I have rolled some more 12ax7 through my syn-1 and didn’t improve so I don’t think that’s it.
Really, wow, the synergy modules look so small, almost too small to have 12ax7's in them, that's why I figured they were solid state units.

So, I took a dive into the synergy world with a syn-1 set up and a couple of modules and honestly think they sound great. My only complaint is that they do seem to lack a little in low end or lack in the overall largeness I would expect. I have tried running the syn-1 in a couple of different ways as a result of this, for example, using a fryette ps-100, into the fx loop of my Ceriatone yeti, and into the loop of a Mesa dual rectifier. Without a doubt the modules sound better and bigger through both the yeti and the Mesa. However I still find the actual amps to be larger sounding than any module running into them. So my question is, would a dedicated power amp such as Mesa 2:90 resolve this issue or would the syn-50 itself be a better option, allowing it to function as a single head unit.
I have the best results with the Syn-50.

Back