Synergy Module Appreciation Thread - Including MTS, Egnater & Custom Modules

MadAsAHatter

Even though I’ve known about the modular stuff for a bit, I’m just now starting to get into it. In reading up on it I’ve noticed several people here have a Synergy module setups, but the discussions are scattered about. I thought it would be good to consolidate it all into a Synergy module appreciation thread, including the Randall MTS, Egnater, and custom modules.

My overall goal with the modules is to be able to try out different amp brands that I otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford or have space for. I’m not expecting a 1 to 1 exact match in sound, but think the modules would give a good representation of the overall character. Like if the manufacturer produced a slightly different line of one of their amps.

I’ve seen some people scoff at the idea of modules saying why not get a modeler like the Helix or Kemper for near the same price. To that I say modules may not be a better value price wise, but to users like me offer a better experience. I think the modules are exactly for people like me. My experience is that digital even though is good at what it does still doesn’t give the full feel of analog & tubes. And I don’t want to spend hours tinkering with every little detail dialing in sound or get overloaded with decision paralysis trying to pick a profile. I also don’t use IRs, it’s straight into a speaker cabinet for me. I don’t have to worry about things not sounding right trying to match IRs to FRFR speakers trying to get that “amp in the room” sound. I like that the Synergy offers a straight forward plug and play and modules, are all tube when paired with a tube power amp, and are designed by the amp makers themselves.

Currently I don’t have much (yet), just a SYN 2 and a Powerball module. I did order a Savage module which is scheduled to be delivered today. The Powerball module sounds fricking amazing from pretty clean to all out saturation. I really like that the cleans are a little darker and don’t have that over the top sparkle to it. It fits my style a lot better. I’m not able to compare it directly to the real thing so I don’t know if it sounds exactly like a real Powerball. I can set it to sound pretty close to my ENGL Inferno which is supposed to have some Powerball character to it. And it does have a different flavor sound when compared to my ENGL Steve Morse which is based on the Invader. I’m excited to get the Savage module in to see how it compares to the Powerball module my other ENGL amps.

One thing I did notice is how much influence the power amp used has on the final sound. It’s not night and day and the module keeps its overall characteristics. Running it though several of my other amps’ power sections I can hear a difference in final tone. I suspect that since I’ll mostly be going through the ENGL Inferno power section this will get the Powerball and Savage modules to sound the closest to the real thing.

It won’t be right away, but I have plans to get another SYN 2 and a few other modules. The Uberschall, Pitbull and IICP are at the top of my list. The OS and Dirty Shirley are also on my radar. With all the clops I’ve listened to some modules sound better than others, but none of them sound bad; just different. It’s more a matter of which one sounds best for you. I hope Synergy gains a stron following and more manufacturers join in designing modules for them.

That’s my little experience so far. What about the rest of you? What are your thoughts and experiences with the Synergy modules? What’s your favorite? Which ones do you want to try? Amps you’d like to see for future modules?

This can be the thread to discuss all things Synergy and module related, including Randall MTS, Egnater, and custom modded modules.

I have a Syn-1 and a few modules. My favourite so far is the Salvation Cameron module which I play a lot more than the Synergy modules.

I found a couple of the Synergy modules slightly redundant at their prices since the original manufacturer offered similarly priced tube preamps. For example a Fryette gpdi cost less than the Pittbull and Deliverance modules combined but covers the same ground. The Engl E530 can be had for less than a module and is very close to the Savage/Blackmore preamp section. My Mesa Studio preamp costed just a bit more than the IICP module.

Guess I’d like to see more modules of $3500+ or unobtainable amps lol.

I have a BB/BE and Dirty Shirley and they are def. voiced differently but they also aren't voiced in a way that excites me really. I agree that there is a lot of redundancy in the line and I would like to see more vintage offerings. (Supro etc) I think though, that they know their bread and butter will be chuggalug and cock rock so they just turn out what they know has traction.

Personally, the only module I really play is the Friedman correct spec Brahma which is def. as good as my real 800. I have a Jaded Faith AC 30 which is also quite good but therein lies the limits of having a neutral power amp. That module is going to be way better into EL84's pushed hard. So I don't know.. I think maybe it is best to own a Marshall, a Vox, and a Peavey 5150 / Soldano and call it a day. Maybe a Mesa if that floats your boat more than an AC. the coolest thing I have is one of those Salvation Ampeg copies. It is limited by the design of the power amp in my MTS amp but it does sound really good for bass. Bass though I mean, it either cuts or it flubs. I am not as picky as guitars in that regard :p

I have a Syn-1 and a few modules. My favourite so far is the Salvation Cameron module which I play a lot more than the Synergy modules.

I found a couple of the Synergy modules slightly redundant at their prices since the original manufacturer offered similarly priced tube preamps. For example a Fryette gpdi cost less than the Pittbull and Deliverance modules combined but covers the same ground. The Engl E530 can be had for less than a module and is very close to the Savage/Blackmore preamp section. My Mesa Studio preamp costed just a bit more than the IICP module.

Guess I’d like to see more modules of $3500+ or unobtainable amps lol.
That's a good point too.. my Myasnikov preamp was cheaper than the Synergy SLO and I think it sounds better if I compare clips.

Last year I got the SLO 100 w/ 4x12 cab and a Suhr SL68 w/ 4x12 cab.
So far, I got the Syn-1 and Syn-2, the Plexi, Vai and Bogner Ectstasy modules. I run them into the Boss Tube Amp Expander. I actually like the SS power amp. Plus it has reverb and delay built-in, so I don't have to mess w/ pedals.
The Ectasy and Vai were instant gratification. Easy to dial in. The Plexi took more days to dial in but I got it sounding great.
I took a chance on the Synergy stuff a couple of months ago. Had I known they were that good, I wouldn't have bought either SLO or Suhr half-stacks.
I don't care how close the Synergy modules are to the real deal. The thing I like is I can do my thing with the sounds, I can swap out different modules for whatever I want to sound like.
I will be getting more modules for sure, starting w/ the Mesa 2c and the Bassman.

Out of the three modules I have, VH4, HBE and Uber, the Uberschall is my favorite. It's the most versatile, where I can get each channel sounding very different. Channel two is brutal as f**k. Bogner should drop that preamp into the 3534 and release a mini Uber!

The HBE sounds really good but is going back to GC because its too similar to the red channel on my 3534.

I'd like to try the DS and IICP next.

053b0716-ceb7-49e3-98d2-42c62905e2f8-jpeg.97787

The nice thing with the synergy and MTS stuff is, that you can have a pristine Fender clean next to a Marshall crunch next to some ripping Boogie/Engl/Bogner tones. And although the modules share the same powerstation, in the end they all give you that authentic tube tone.

I'm a big fan of the Synergy line with my Syn2, Syn5050 and modules: Dirty Shirly, Deliverance, SLO, Ecstasy, BMAN, Morgan AC. Down the line I'd like to get the TDLX and maybe a Salvation Mods MatchVox.

I had the Randall RM's for a long time and played many stock and modded modules along the way. The spec correct Brahma which had some parts updated by Jaded Faith was my favorite by far and my main tone for 7 to 10 years. Most authentic was a Mash-All+ from Salvation mods. It just had that Marshall high mid thing nailed. Several other modules that I had were really good but I tended to get a tone and stick with it back then.

I have been eyeballing the Synergy stuff a lot since the release but am a bit hesitant to get back in. I spent so much time and money on having modules modded and swapping tubes and all that. The new stuff is basically already modded and much easier to digest but I know me and I would end up having to roll through all of the modules and then the power amp options... Great. I just remembered that I could pair one of the preamps with the PS2 and my mind is running through possibilities already.

I had the Randall RM's for a long time and played many stock and modded modules along the way. The spec correct Brahma which had some parts updated by Jaded Faith was my favorite by far and my main tone for 7 to 10 years. Most authentic was a Mash-All+ from Salvation mods. It just had that Marshall high mid thing nailed. Several other modules that I had were really good but I tended to get a tone and stick with it back then.

I have been eyeballing the Synergy stuff a lot since the release but am a bit hesitant to get back in. I spent so much time and money on having modules modded and swapping tubes and all that. The new stuff is basically already modded and much easier to digest but I know me and I would end up having to roll through all of the modules and then the power amp options... Great. I just remembered that I could pair one of the preamps with the PS2 and my mind is running through possibilities already.

Don't do it. Friedman may come out with some cool stuff yet though. A smallbox would interest me still.

I know Salvation Audio has their version, but I'd love for Orange to design an official Rockerverb Synergy module

Big fan of the Synergy products. Looking forward to see what modules will come out this year.

5D29C486-4110-4F0D-8064-BA094DA9EF4C.jpeg

Love the Synergy line. Just received my second Syn2 today. I have two Syn2’s, the SLO mod, Uberschall mod and T/Dlx mod. Having an empty slot in my second Syn2 is going to drive me nuts. That said, I’m going to take my time to figure out what I want for a fourth module.

I'm about to get another module on my list. I'll eventually get both but can only do one for now. I'm trying to decide between the Uberschall and Pitbull. Which one would you get first?

I have both EG M4 and Synergy. But for some reason I only prefer low gain stuff with them. All this high gain modules sounds way different from the real thing. I think it’s because of power section contribution

I got a Line 6 DT25; the one with the configurable tube power section designed by Bogner, and have been running a SYN2 through that. That power amp is supposed to be physically switchable (I hear it click inside) between Class A / AB, pentode/triode, and 1 of 4 topologies. I think it actually switches to different capacitors/resistors or whatever to change the neg. feedback loop for the different topologies. Nothing is supposed to be digital or modeled, all analog.

My thinking on doing this was to configure the DT’s power section to most closely match the power section on the real amp for any given module. The hope is that it would make the modules sound closer to the real thing. I wish I had the real amps of the modules I have to make a side by side comparison. On the other side I can switch the DT power section to something completely different for a different sound and feel with the same module. And everything stays tube, bypassing all the digital parts of the DT25

Since I can’t compare, I don’t know if my theory holds up. One thing I can say is that there is a significant difference using the different power amp settings. Pentode/triode have the least effect on sound. That mostly affects overall volume. Class A/AB somewhat changes the sound, but not a lot. It changes the feel more. On sound it’s only going to be effective at high volumes where I think Class A will push the power tubes into overdrive sooner. At least that’s how it sounded the one time I cranked it. The 4 topologies have a large influence on sound. Line 6 labeled them as Tight, Loose, No Negative Feedback and Resonant. I don’t know what that entails as far as circuitry goes. For sound, Tight and Loose are similar, but do have subtle changes in the bass response. As it implies Tight tightens up the bass and Loose lets it breathe a little more. No Negative feedback seems to do what its name implies also, it lets all the frequencies through and you get more high end than the other topologies. Resonant is the darkest sounding. I hear more bass and lower mid frequencies; being reminiscent of a dual rectifier or something like that.

Regardless if the module sounds exactly like the real thing or not to me doesn’t take away anything from them. Everything I’ve heard sounds great. I look at it as if you go in expecting the module to be a 1 to 1 replication of the real amp you’re going to be disappointed. If you take the approach of thinking of the module as revision 2 of said amp or another amp in their line, you should be able to have some real enjoyment. For me, having the switchable power section of the DT25 I feel like I’m getting more enjoyment. I get to play around with that part for even more variety of interesting sounds.

I don’t have many modules (yet) but plan on getting a few more. It’s been pretty interesting seeing how much influence the power amp can have on the overall sound and character. We know an analog tube power section that is configurable/switchable can be designed. Reinhold Bogner did it for Line 6. He’s been part of the Synergy module project. It would be killer if he designed a standalone switchable power amp to be paired with the modules for Synergy.

Back