Synergy users, tell me your thoughts

PurityS.L.G

I jumped on the Syn train and have a Bogner Uberschall module on the way to me. Even though it’s modeled after the twin jet, I want to compare it to my Rev Blue and see how close it gets. I’ll put it up against the ML Soundlab TJ plug-in too since it sounds pretty damn close to the real amp.

If I’m impressed, I’ll go with the Fryette UL module next. Anyone with care to share their experiences with this line? I was interested in the Herbert module but I’ve heard it doesn’t sound remotely close to the real deal. The SLO and Deliverance sound awesome on the vids I’ve watched.

I'm a long time MTS fan, have Randall RM100, SYN-1, SYN-2 and a huge pile of modules, including the Fryette Pittbull UL, which I love. Only ever played a real Fryette Pittbull 45 combo at a GC years before the module came out, so I can't speak to how it compares, but I do think it sounds fantastic - the EQ sliders are tiny, forget adjusting them on the fly live with any precision.

Your general "how close is it to the real thing" question is one I've seen forever on multiple forums. Lot of people trying to EXACTLY replicate a specific head with MTS modules end up nit-picking and being disappointed. The beauty of MTS is the ability to get dramatically different tones that are very close to what they are replicating at a fraction of the cost, in a very portable and easy to swap format. They retain their value quite well on the used market & are easy to safely package & ship at low cost, so if you don't like one, dump it for about $50 loss, much lower risk and hassle than a head. I could go on a long time, if you have more questions I'll try to answer, some other longtime MTS users on RT as well. You can dig around the Synergy/Egnater/Randall forum & TGP which both have a zillion threads about specific modules.

Preamps are easy to clone and so many of those modules are pretty much the exact circuit. How close it sounds to the 'real deal' is thus mostly dependent on the power amp. The power tubes of course, but also the particular depth and presence circuit involved, negative feedback etc.

That Uber module into the FX return of you Rev Blue will probably sound awesome, it's one of my favourite MTS modules next to the SLO and Deliverance - you have excellent taste sir.

Welcome to the beginning of the rabbit hole LOL!

I've got a couple of Synergy modules, Pitbull UL, IICP, Savage & Powerball to be specific. Biggest thing it the power amp you run them through makes a decent impact on the final sound. So don't expect any of the to sound 100% like the actual amp. But they will give you the overall characteristics of said amp.

The UL module sounds great but can be a bit tough to dial in the graphic EQ. I think it's +/- 12db on each slider. So only having so much travel small adjustments have a big impact. It is designed like the real amp where the graphic EQ comes last in the chain so you have to watch out on overloading it where it distorts out. But that part is no different than the real amp. I don't think you could go wrong getting this module.

The IICP is just what you think it is. A take on the Mark IIC+ and designed by the man himself. To me it sounds like a mix of the best sounds from each of the different iterations of a Mark II. I think that's what the design was going for also. If you like the Mesa Mark sound you'll like this module.

Both of the ENGL modules sound really close to their respective amps. I actually run my through either an ENGL Morse or Inferno. With that I get that distinct ENGL compression with them. And comparatively this gets me the closest to the real Powerball and Savage amps.

As mentioned a big part of your final sound with these modules depends on the power amp you use. I've run all of mine through a Line 6 DT25; the one with selectable power amp topologies. Switching between the 4 choices it could sound brighter or darker and also affected the overall feel. I've also run them through different amps, both EL34 and 6L6. That makes a difference too. I've also run them through a Fryette power station. This probably had the least impact and let more of the preamp sound through. None of the combinations sounded bad in any way, they were just different.

So quick update, I got the SYN-1 and Uber module in on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised on how damn close it was to my Uber. Of course I plugged it in 4CM to my Uber Rev Blue (Gold Lion KT77's) to compare and man I tell ya its the sound, especially with the red channel. There is some differences on the amount of gain. Synergy has way more. Too much TBH. Also the mids were a bit different but the real amp is so complex with the presence knob in the circuit, that was to be expected. The character, voicing, gain structure were all there. Blue channel on the module was awesome too but much more aggressive than the TJ channel 1. At least to me from what I remembered with the TJ I used to own.

I also plugged it in via XLR DI to my computer and tested it against the ML Sound Lab Burger and Nalex Uber plugins and they were all within the ballpark with each other. I gotta say the stock cab sim on the SYN-1 sounds really good. Very well balanced and clear. I'm all in with this ecosystem and look forward to buying more modules. Seriously I'm impressed.

Yes the Uber modules seems to have a tonne more gain than the real thing, not sure why they've done that.

I'm surprised you like the cab sim on the SYN-1, or for that matter going direct without a power amp. I had zero luck getting decent tones that way - 2 very important elements are now removed so no surprises there really. If you have the option to mic the cab as a comparison I think you'll be shocked at the difference. Please report back if you do (y)

It's cool, but there is a lot of overlap and some modules would benefit more from a power amp that was closer to what is in the real amp. So it has it's limitations. I prefer real amps and pretty much only play a randall brahma module on my lynch box/ RM100. It is extremely close to a jcm800/JMP if not spot on. But that said, what will it cost nowadays to get into the game with Synergy? At the cost you might as well just get a good 2204 clone with some gain mods on switches. Also, how many amps do we really need?

Yes the Uber modules seems to have a tonne more gain than the real thing, not sure why they've done that.

I'm surprised you like the cab sim on the SYN-1, or for that matter going direct without a power amp. I had zero luck getting decent tones that way - 2 very important elements are now removed so no surprises there really. If you have the option to mic the cab as a comparison I think you'll be shocked at the difference. Please report back if you do (y)
Yeah I would have to agree with you on the power amp front. Last night I tried it out with the rest of my amps power sections and it was crazy the differences I was getting in feel. I know thats the point of power amps but I didn't expect it to have such an impact with these units. Sounded ridiculous plugged into my Nitro KT88 but gat damn that amp is so fkn loud! I ordered up the UL module last night so lets see if I'm still hyped after that. This weekend when I can crank up louder than normal I do plan on doing more tests with different IR's as well as comparing to micing up so I will definitely keep you guys posted, or better yet post some damn clips for y'all.

It's cool, but there is a lot of overlap and some modules would benefit more from a power amp that was closer to what is in the real amp. So it has it's limitations. I prefer real amps and pretty much only play a randall brahma module on my lynch box/ RM100. It is extremely close to a jcm800/JMP if not spot on. But that said, what will it cost nowadays to get into the game with Synergy? At the cost you might as well just get a good 2204 clone with some gain mods on switches. Also, how many amps do we really need?
I ask myself this all of the time, especially last year when I had to move all of my shit to my new house LOL!

Yeah I would have to agree with you on the power amp front. Last night I tried it out with the rest of my amps power sections and it was crazy the differences I was getting in feel. I know thats the point of power amps but I didn't expect it to have such an impact with these units. Sounded ridiculous plugged into my Nitro KT88 but gat damn that amp is so fkn loud! I ordered up the UL module last night so lets see if I'm still hyped after that. This weekend when I can crank up louder than normal I do plan on doing more tests with different IR's as well as comparing to micing up so I will definitely keep you guys posted, or better yet post some damn clips for y'all.

I ask myself this all of the time, especially last year when I had to move all of my shit to my new house LOL!

did the same.. realized how much $hit I had bought and don't use in the last 20 years. That said, I have sold very little of it. I love alllllll my preciousses', ALL OF THEM!

I have the SLO, the Twin/Deluxe, the Ecstasy, and the Friedman BB/BE. It is a great system. The 50w head is ridiculous. Sounds fantastic. The 30w combo is good...it is missing the amazing master circuit of the head but a good 25k volume pedal in the loop solves that issue.

Head over to the Egnater/Synergy/MTS Facebook group. Lots of god talk as well as selling/buying of used modules. That way it`s gonna be cheaper to try out modules you eventually going settle on.

I’m giving the Synergy system another go. Starting with the Uberschall module as well, and pairing it with Fryette 2/50/2 this time. Last time I had a Mesa 50/50 and I could never seem to get the bright attack that I wanted. Always sounded a bit dull. Got some traditional rackmount heads that totally solved that problem, so I dumped the modular system. But since then I’ve wondered what would have happened if I had just tried a different power amp. So I’m just waiting on the SYN-2 to arrive and answer that question once and for all.

I tried the Modules thru the Boss Waza TAE almost as a joke and they sound really good. Not sure what I'm missing not using a Tube Power Amp.
One of my favorite players Frank Marino, for years has used a 3 channel Preamp into SS Crown Power Amps.

thumbnail.jpg

The Boss Waza TAE is a killer piece of gear. It sounds so very good. Make a quick iPhone clip, I want to hear that!

These modules sound amazing. The IIC+ is very close, the Powerball actually sounds better than the Powerball I used to own. The Ubershall sounds the best, but I wonder if its better to just buy an Ecstacy Red Pedal instead, if you want the heavy Bogner tones.

So I got the SYN-2 in today and tried out the Uberschall module. Uhh, yikes, this thing has a ridiculous amount of gain. And a hair trigger on the red channel. Sounds good, but maybe a bit too much for me. Also seems to turn into an antenna with the boost engaged - I really need a noise supresser where I live..

Syn 30 user here. Played the deliverance the other night, and it's just so good. Ohh, modules are on sale for Memorial day, $339.

Back