talk to me about bogner helios and helios eclipse

I think it's important to note that if you say the Hot input is "useless" to you, you qualify that's because you're playing music with AC/DC levels of gain/saturation. The Hot input is also fantastic if you're looking for '80s, '90s, 2000s sounds. And if you're running into issues of noise/radio on the Hot input, simply install a 5k-10k grid stopper and it will fix that. You can go lower on the value but you need to experiment to see what the threshold is.

Historical grid stopper values on Marshalls and most other amps is around 34K (Marshall used 68K but two inputs in parallel = 34K). You should use the smallest value you can get away with. Bogner chose not to use one, probably for a "mojo" thing. I tested every major value from 34K down to like 2K. I think I settled on 5K7.

Last edited:
Hi All. New member here. I picked up a used Eclipse about a month ago and am loving it. I have never played a 'traditional' Helios - they don't seem to come up all that often.

Euge Valovirta's YouTube vid turned me onto this amp, although his style is very different to mine. I'm referencing everything from AC/DC (Channel 2, hot mode, Bright2, gain on about 10am-11am depending on the guitar, variac off (so full power). Master about 12 o'clock) to a really singing lead tone (Either using 80s mode with gain over 3 o'clock, Bright1, or with Helios+ mode with gain about 9 o'clock: I'm still exploring here). I have an Ecstasy 101B (2015/2016 model, from memory), but the Eclipse does something different: it's more raw, less smooth except at high gain and has more 'chew'. The 101B has more variety, is generally darker, smoother. Plexi mode on the 101B sounds fabulous (gain dimed, master dimed, treble at 3 o'clock, class A, Vintage), but very different as a 'plexi' to the Eclipse. These settings are all with vintage-style pickups (e.g. mostly PRS 58/15LTs).

Over the years I've learned that, for my style of music (very melodic, classic-rock inspired), layering more but lower-gain guitars is the way forward. So over time the gain knob has gone down, the master up and my tones have got a little brighter so they sing in the mix.

HTH

I had a 50 and sold it during my ‘amp of the month’ phase. It’s one of the few amps I genuinely wish I would have kept. I did run it in 80s mode using the ‘hot’ input with the ‘thump’ engaged and the ‘bottom’ wound up. It was the epitome of what I think of when I hear the term Modded Marshall. Still had that organic, string separation, articulation thing going on that is hard to get with some of the more modern amp offerings. Shouldn’t have sold it.

I had a 50 and sold it during my ‘amp of the month’ phase. It’s one of the few amps I genuinely wish I would have kept. I did run it in 80s mode using the ‘hot’ input with the ‘thump’ engaged and the ‘bottom’ wound up. It was the epitome of what I think of when I hear the term Modded Marshall. Still had that organic, string separation, articulation thing going on that is hard to get with some of the more modern amp offerings. Shouldn’t have sold it.
I owned the original 100 watt and the 50 watt. I ran in the hot input, 80's mode, and it's a solid amp. Sounds fantastic for modded Marshall tones. One of the best examples I've owned. But, for flexibility, I prefer the Splawn Competition and gears 1 & 2.

Reactions: PDC
Hi All. New member here. I picked up a used Eclipse about a month ago and am loving it. I have never played a 'traditional' Helios - they don't seem to come up all that often.

Euge Valovirta's YouTube vid turned me onto this amp, although his style is very different to mine. I'm referencing everything from AC/DC (Channel 2, hot mode, Bright2, gain on about 10am-11am depending on the guitar, variac off (so full power). Master about 12 o'clock) to a really singing lead tone (Either using 80s mode with gain over 3 o'clock, Bright1, or with Helios+ mode with gain about 9 o'clock: I'm still exploring here). I have an Ecstasy 101B (2015/2016 model, from memory), but the Eclipse does something different: it's more raw, less smooth except at high gain and has more 'chew'. The 101B has more variety, is generally darker, smoother. Plexi mode on the 101B sounds fabulous (gain dimed, master dimed, treble at 3 o'clock, class A, Vintage), but very different as a 'plexi' to the Eclipse. These settings are all with vintage-style pickups (e.g. mostly PRS 58/15LTs).

Over the years I've learned that, for my style of music (very melodic, classic-rock inspired), layering more but lower-gain guitars is the way forward. So over time the gain knob has gone down, the master up and my tones have got a little brighter so they sing in the mix.

HTH
Welcome aboard

I had the Eclipse version. Very good sounding amp but as others have said its very smooth and compressed especially in the higher gain settings. I have not tried the regular single channel version but have heard its more raw and aggressive/dynamic etc.

Back