Talk to me about Forte style 2x12s

Spaceboy

I've been considering going back to a vertical 2x12, loading my typically mic'd speaker (Vintage 30) on the bottom, and something that's slightly less piercing on the top, maybe a Creamback H75. I would get the partially removable back, because sometimes I do play house shows and other small environments where that slight difference in dispersion could be handy.

Avatar is now building Forte replicas where the bottom and top speakers are sealed from each other, with the bottom being a standard closed back design, and the top having the side vents and reflectors of the Forte design. I remember those cabinets being a hot item amongst our 'blues lawyer' cousins elsewhere on the web. But how do they hold up to heavier tastes in music? Do the side vents drastically change options for speakers that actually sound decent? Do these cabs seem to sound bigger than a typical 2x12, or do they completely lack bottom end?

I was curious about these avatar “forte” cabs as well.
No experience, but hope someone can chime in, as it’s crossed my mind a few times as well.

FWIW I used to own the Forte 3D 1x12, with the closed back and side vents. I threw everything I could at it...Celestion, Eminence, and EVM12L. On the ground, on an Aurelex pad, on a chair. There was a strange resonance within the cabinet that caused it to sound very dead with palm mutes, and I never found a solution so I sold it.

Replaced it with a Glaswerks Thiele 1x12 and it totally slays, with none of those problems. I realize you are interested in the 2x12 (as am I) which could be a totally different animal. For high gain applications, I was disappointed with the 1x12 version.

Back